News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I ride the subway each day from Wilson to Union (and back).

On the way up to Wilson in the evening, the train at times slows to a crawl or stops for minutes at a time between Eglinton West and Wilson. I understand this is due to some trains being pulled out of service at Downsview, and I‘m sure this has been discussed on these forums. The TTC operator will sometimes announce to riders that the slow travel speeds are due to “traffic on the line”.

- When the extension up to Vaughan is complete, will trains still be pulled out of service at Downsview?

- Will the eventual implementation of ATC have any improvement of “traffic on the line”

- This seems like an issue many transit systems must face. How do they deal with it without inconveniencing riders?

Thanks!

I asked about this several months ago. It's appears to be because of poor scheduling. TTC overestimates how long it take trains to make the trip around the line.

But how much can we increase headways by simply not servicing Rosedale/Summerhill at peak hour? When we really need that extra capacity?

None. Those stations aren't throughput choke-points. What you can do is remove 1 train from the line and achieve a faster average speed but total capacity will be the same.

Now, if you remove both Bloor and St. George stations you might achieve a 20% capacity boost. Those stations are direct capacity constraints (high dwell times due to passengers moving around).

I asked about this several months ago. It's appears to be because of poor scheduling. TTC overestimates how long it take trains to make the trip around the line.

In other words, the priority is to get the trains through the downtown core, and if the trains are ahead of schedule then you just stall them going up to Downsview?

In other words, the priority is to get the trains through the downtown core, and if the trains are ahead of schedule then you just stall them going up to Downsview?

Not quite.

Because of the layout of the track and platforms at Downsview, there is a minimum amount of time required to clear the interlockings and crossovers south of the platforms. This amount of time, coupled with the amount of time required to change ends (which isn't huge, but is absolutely calculable) and the fact that the schedule for the trains returning back south is less-frequent than that of the trains coming in means that trains can not exit the stations as quickly as they arrive at the station. It doesn't matter if the trains are early or late, there will always be a backlog leading into the station. (There is a similar problem with Finch at the end of the afternoon rush, but it's mitigated somewhat by the schedule.)

The extension of the line further north will help immensely because there will now be the opportunity to have trains run in service to locations that aren't the terminus of the line before turning back out of service. On top of this, there will be a new access to the yard from the north which will them to stage more trains off of the mainline than they currently can.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not quite.

Because of the layout of the track and platforms at Downsview, there is a minimum amount of time required to clear the interlockings and crossovers south of the platforms. This amount of time, coupled with the amount of time required to change ends (which isn't huge, but is absolutely calculable) and the fact that the schedule for the trains returning back south is less-frequent than that of the trains coming in means that trains can not exit the stations as quickly as they arrive at the station. It doesn't matter if the trains are early or late, there will always be a backlog leading into the station. (There is a similar problem with Finch at the end of the afternoon rush, but it's mitigated somewhat by the schedule.)

The extension of the line further north will help immensely because there will now be the opportunity to have trains run in service to locations that aren't the terminus of the line before turning back out of service. On top of this, there will be a new access to the yard from the north which will them to stage more trains off of the mainline than they currently can.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks Dan.

So if I understand your last point, a train can turn back out of service at Finch West station for example (instead of Downsview), and then go back south to the Downsview yard for the night?

Line 1 Yonge-University: St George to Lawrence West closure on March 19 and 20

See link.

St%20George%20to%20Lawrenc.jpg

Before you start, see this link on Weekend subway closures in Toronto... and New York, London, Berlin and...

As we noted in our previous post, Torontonians like to grumble, especially about their transit system.

Every time the TTC shuts down part of the subway network to make some necessary repairs or updates, the grumbling intensifies. We like to pretend that this doesn’t happen elsewhere in the world and that only the TTC does this to us and only us for some evil unknown reason.

So, let’s take a look at what are other transit systems up to this weekend to “frustrate their passengers”.

Right. I guess that means we are limited to only the option of having "express" trains at peak hour.

No need to convince me.

But how much can we increase headways by simply not servicing Rosedale/Summerhill at peak hour? When we really need that extra capacity?

Only a couple hundred board at those stations at peak hour, compared to everyone else. Boarding at those stations is already a challenging scenario for those people anyway, one that will assuredly get significantly worse with the Yonge North extension, if no other ways of providing relief are found.

I take it you'd also be in favour of shutting down the Sheppard line entirely, based on ridership criteria.

I take it you'd also be in favour of shutting down the Sheppard line entirely, based on ridership criteria.
And converting it to light rail transit? Sure.

Don't take my 'suggestion' of not servicing Rosedale/Summerhill seriously. I am mostly whining at the idea of how the Yonge North Extension would affect downstream commuters. :p

There are no alternatives when Washington DC shuts down their entire system on a weekday...
The American government offered their employees a day off or they can telecommute. For businesses, it depends on the business (and in most cases, commuters who work for businesses that don't have those opportunities are screwed).

The American government offered their employees a day off or they can telecommute. For businesses, it depends on the business (and in most cases, commuters who work for businesses that don't have those opportunities are screwed).
Offering everyone a day off still results in huge economic losses.

Back