News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Don't have a pic but the 504 bay at Broadview was underwater this morning. 504s were loading from the Dundas bay while TTC workers used snow shovels to push water into the drains. They have enough problems with water below grade there without issues above too!

March 12
I see TTC has finally upgraded their notices on poles for various changes that they are now laminated that will last longer than the old ones.

Had my first ride on the Long Branch 501 since the change and odd using the old loop in use at Humber since I have never used it nor seen cars use it in the past. Seeing all CLRV on this section is also new.

Not only has TTC removed the retaining wall at the Exhibition loop and GO Station, they have also removed all the north tracks. They should start the footing for the retaining wall late this month.

The eastbound King St stop at Fraser Ave is going to be move to Joe Shuster Way. The sidewalk curb has been cut for the new car there, as well making sense in the first place with the traffic light there
25749180376_4654d69832_b.jpg

25775248165_ae3000eae1_b.jpg

25150373983_6835196d08_b.jpg

25654239792_e870fbf3bd_b.jpg

Does anyone know if there is still talk about extending Line 2: Bloor-Danforth west to The East Mall and then building a terminal to take Mississauga Transit buses out of Islington Station?

The Metrolinx plan for the new Kipling bus node is supposed to be out by summer, if I recall what was said at the recent public meeting correctly. It will not be at East Mall.

- Paul

Does anyone know if there is still talk about extending Line 2: Bloor-Danforth west to The East Mall and then building a terminal to take Mississauga Transit buses out of Islington Station?
Maybe we will see it in our next life cycle, but was shot down in 2005 & 7 when brought forth by the ward councilor who was also the vice chair of TTC. He ran as a MPP to get this extension built, but no money so far.

The new Regional Hub was to be at the Cloverdale Station, now to be built at Kipling starting this year and open in 2019.

When the hub opens, Mississauga Transit will be move there and that will be the time the existing Islington Terminal will disappear and be replace by condos.

yay, now the signs they put up but don't take down will hang around even longer.
I think they'll make better souvenirs for some people. Perhaps they won't stay up as long.

Maybe we will see it in our next life cycle, but was shot down in 2005 & 7 when brought forth by the ward councilor who was also the vice chair of TTC. He ran as a MPP to get this extension built, but no money so far.

The new Regional Hub was to be at the Cloverdale Station, now to be built at Kipling starting this year and open in 2019.

When the hub opens, Mississauga Transit will be move there and that will be the time the existing Islington Terminal will disappear and be replace by condos.
Now that the closed the lot at Islingon, most of the parking spaces are gone. Now they go for Kipling too. Kipling used to have the east lot too till it became land for the new 6 point intersection. This just encourages more people to drive from Mississauga.

TTC would built a new small bus terminal for the current routes at Islington. I guess it can be under a condo. I don't see them doing on street pickup.

I think they'll make better souvenirs for some people. Perhaps they won't stay up as long.

Now that the closed the lot at Islingon, most of the parking spaces are gone. Now they go for Kipling too. Kipling used to have the east lot too till it became land for the new 6 point intersection. This just encourages more people to drive from Mississauga.

TTC would built a new small bus terminal for the current routes at Islington. I guess it can be under a condo. I don't see them doing on street pickup.
The plan presented years ago when TTC thought they were going to see an office tower until it die would see a small terminal north of the station next to the RR ROW. It was to support 3 TTC routes and one MT route with traffic lights at the intersection.

Since Tridel will go after this land sooner or later since they got the north lot now, hard to say if the terminal would be where it was plan to be or put underground. Got a few years before dealing with it.

Its not just Mississauga driving to either stations these days, but a lot of 416.

Oops.

TTC subway service has been suspended in both directions on Line 1 between Eglinton and Union stations.
The TTC is blaming signal issues at Bloor-Yonge Station for the disruption. Shuttle buses have been called in.

There was a breakdown at Union at noon too. They had to push the train out. As they tried to get the train ready to couple with another, a very loud alarm went off that they kept trying to turn off, but it would come back on again. Took about 10 minutes and then they were finally able to start the coupling.

Think closing part of a subway line on a weekend is bad, how about closing all the ENTIRE subway lines (plural) during a weekday!!

From link:

Washington D.C. subway to close for 29 hours for inspection

The massive transit system in the (United States) nation's capital will shutter all day Wednesday and won't reopen until 5 a.m. Thursday so safety officials can inspect equipment, Metro officials said.

Metro CEO and General Manager Paul Wiedefeld, barely into his fourth month on the job, said he understood the hardship the closure would cause for the region's commuters, but a fire Monday near the McPherson Square station raised broad concerns about the system's safety.

Metrorail's six lines and 91 stations carry more than 700,000 passengers on an average weekday.

"While the risk to the public is very low, I cannot rule out a potential life-safety issue here," Wiedefeld said. "When I say safety is the highest priority, I mean it."

The conditions that led to the fire Monday near McPherson Square appear similar to the fire that ignited at the L'Enfant Plaza station in January 2015. That fire killed one passenger and injured 86 others.

Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx called the shutdown "inconvenient" but necessary. Federal offices will remain open, but the Office of Personnel Management said federal workers could use unscheduled leave or telecommute because of the outage.

“WMATA has a long, well-documented list of safety issues and needs to work aggressively to fix them," Foxx said.

The inspections will cover 600 so-called "jumper cables" in the system, Wiedefeld said. Friction or moisture on the insulated cable can cause deterioration that sparks fires. If inspectors find more problems, outages could continue for longer on specific subway lines, Wiedefeld said.

If a cable needs to be replaced, as happened at McPherson Square, the station is shut down down at 9 p.m. because the repair work requires lines in both directions to be turned off, he said.

Workers will need to crawl around on the ground near the electrified third rails that power the trains so it's necessary to shut down the system, said Wiedefeld, who notified the U.S. Transportation Department and the National Transportation Safety Board, which investigates accidents.

"I'm trying to deal with what I know and what I fear," Wiedefeld said.

Jack Evans, chairman of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, said inspections a year ago, following the January 2015 fire, found no problems with the cables, but that more deterioration could have occurred since then.

"We need to get to the bottom of it," Evans said. "This is the first time it's closed down for non-weather conditions."

Metro is the only subway in the country spread across three jurisdictions, which makes governance more complicated: the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. Evans acknowledged that workers and students will have trouble getting to work and school.

“It will impact the entire metropolitan region – there’s no doubt about it," Evans said. “Without Metro, it’s going to have a lot of congestion."

Think closing part of a subway line on a weekend is bad, how about closing all the ENTIRE subway lines (plural) during a weekday!!

From link:

Washington D.C. subway to close for 29 hours for inspection
Doesn't London close whole lines often too? I think they even have some that close earlier in the day then we do.

Doesn't London close whole lines often too? I think they even have some that close earlier in the day then we do.
Maybe true, but they are not just talking about "whole lines" but the whole system all at once. Six lines and nearly 100 stations.

London line closures are on weekends and planned far, far in advance -- there's a way to look them up for many months in the future if you're planning an event, for example.

What's happening in DC is in the middle of the work week, unplanned, and involves shutting down the entire system. Staggering.

This is the latest in a long string of severe problems in DC to do with deferred maintenance, safety issues and generally questionable operating practices. It's an extremely troubled system, despite an impressive-looking network and decent success generating suburban transit-oriented development.

But in fact, even when it is running properly the Metro is amazingly useless. Midday frequencies can be 12 minutes or longer, which Torontonians would find absolutely absurd. The network also makes a hard turn to actually avoid serving Georgetown, the busiest retail area in town, leaving its main drag clogged with bumper-to-bumper buses.

Metro was never really designed as a high-capacity urban subway -- more as fancy commuter rail, to funnel suburbanites to federal jobs downtown in the morning and out again. If you live in the District itself, you're almost always better off taking a bus or even walking.

Last edited:
Maybe true, but they are not just talking about "whole lines" but the whole system all at once. Six lines and nearly 100 stations.

While Washington has 100 stations, it carries only about 700,000 riders per day. Toronto has 69 stations, but carries almost twice as much (around 1,331,420).

Still, its nice when the U.S. federal government helps with the subsidies for BOTH operations and capital budgets.

Back