News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I couldn't agree more, I thought it was just me but I've been noticing that during the rush hour service has been laughable north of St.George. While waiting at St.George I frequently notice 3-4 trains pass by southbound, while northbound one i forced to wait up to 8 minutes before *any* train shows up. The key word is any, because no one knows if that train will actually run all the way to VMC. And it's not just on the university side where this kind of nonsense happens. On the Yonge Line, one can wait up to 8-10 minutes before a train southbound actually shows up during the rush hour. This kind of stuff rarely happened prior to the extension.

Ugh I hate having experiences like this. My biggest beef with our subway system is not knowing wait times before paying my fare and entering the station (anyone know if the official transit app gives accurate estimates?). There needs to be regularly updated digital signage outside the fare gates displaying info for the next 3-4 trains... including wait time and what their terminus will be. People in a rush need to know so that they can make better transit decisions. This is how it works in Chicago! Fantastic subway system, albeit a bit rickety and bumpy.

As someone who lives on the Yonge Line, this is a lie. In the time I've lived here, the longest I've waited is maybe 8 minutes, and that was late at night. You never wait more than 3 minutes during rush hour.
It's a lie huh? A someone who has taken the TTC on all parts of the system across the city, I can tell you it's not.

IMG_20171207_1546178.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171207_1546178.jpg
    IMG_20171207_1546178.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 253
The TTC has problem managing anything longer than the 126 Christle. The can't manage the 90 Vaughan Rd. Anything longer than that could be problematic.

For something like the 52 Lawerence West or 60 Steeles West. They should just pull a few buses and put them on standby on different parts of the route. Have them run in service to fill gaps. Then pull a bunched vehicle to place on standby afterwards.
Oh I wouldnt be surprised if the 90 Vaughan was still somewhat of a problem. Back when I used that bus semi-frequently, it was plagued with a couple of issues but they were mainly due to interlining. I could provide you with a list of routes which are just horrendously managed, but for the sake of this discussion i'll just stick with the Yonge-University line.

Ugh I hate having experiences like this. My biggest beef with our subway system is not knowing wait times before paying my fare and entering the station (anyone know if the official transit app gives accurate estimates?). There needs to be regularly updated digital signage outside the fare gates displaying info for the next 3-4 trains... including wait time and what their terminus will be. People in a rush need to know so that they can make better transit decisions. This is how it works in Chicago! Fantastic subway system, albeit a bit rickety and bumpy.
I find the digital signage outside the stations are pretty good, as long as they provide information on when their are major delays throughout the system they do the job fine. The Transit App does a good job at next vehicle predictions. Citymapper was pretty good as well, but personally I find Transit is more reliable at predictions when they are in real-time.

Last edited:
As someone who lives on the Yonge Line, this is a lie. In the time I've lived here, the longest I've waited is maybe 8 minutes, and that was late at night. You never wait more than 3 minutes during rush hour.

Very recently I was at Sheppard Yonge station at around 3:30 (the beginning of the afternoon rush). There were absolutely no significant delays, yet the next northbound train was 12 minutes away.

We need the times displayed at the entrances, staircases, escalators, and elevators, before you go downstairs to the station platforms.

We need the times displayed at the entrances, staircases, escalators, and elevators, before you go downstairs to the station platforms.
Heard that the argument against that was it would make people more inclined to rush towards the platforms and in turn, end up hurting themselves through tripping on the escalators/stairs.

Heard that the argument against that was it would make people more inclined to rush towards the platforms and in turn, end up hurting themselves through tripping on the escalators/stairs.

To be fair, if I hear a train pulling into the station I book it anyway thinking the one behind it is 4 minutes away. Knowing the time between trains is useful.

To be fair, if I hear a train pulling into the station I book it anyway thinking the one behind it is 4 minutes away. Knowing the time between trains is useful.

You would like to know if the train is going in your direction or not. Let's you know if you have time to shop at the newsstand or not.

I've commented before about the long travel times on the Spadina line so I won't repeat it again as others have also pointed it out. But in regards to next train arrivals and the destination they are bound for. The new updated format displays the next train's destination. I've found them to be quite reliable except for the estimated arrive time which is can be all over the place.
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 351
I have seen occasional double digit times displayed but I think it’s rare that I have ever waited that long either because the train made up time over the estimate (which may not factor for clear signals?) or because they turned a train back to fill in. We are pushing the infrastructure to design limits on Line 2, and on Line 1 the dual signal systems and Wilson bottlenecks don’t help.

But in regards to next train arrivals and the destination they are bound for. The new updated format displays the next train's destination.
View attachment 138132 View attachment 138133

The old version did as well, if the correct tag was applied to that train. It seems that either they are trying to make more of an effort of making sure that the tags are applied, or the new format also includes a look-up to the run numbers as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Only in Paris......................Then you get a free transit pass when you stay in Geneva for each day you stay overnight.

Paris Mayor Floats Free Transit for All
There's a new high-concept vision plan coming out in Brampton, and one of the long-term actions is free/nearly-free transit for most residents. Will be interesting to see the details as they come out.

Back