News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That line was also conceived and built to be unmanned. The same can not be said about the TTC's subway, and the cost of the work involved to do that would likely dwarf the cost of resignalling the line.

Dan

As long as you don't pour concrete into the control room you should be fine.

Saw something in Tucson today and would be in TTC interested to do.The Link Streetcar was block by a Pickup Truck in a non trucking area with its rear hanging out the box area that prevented the streetcar to pass it.

The supervisor show up to see the issue that she took photos of the truck blocking the streetcar from various angles and call control. She also took photos of the licenses plate as well. Within minutes, the parking offices show up to write a ticket for b;locking the streetcar and call for a tow truck. Within few minutes, a tow truck show up to removed the truck. As the tow truck driver was to hookup, the pickup, the pickup driver show up and given the $200 ticket for blocking the streetcar as well as another for parking .illegal.

Traffic was backup behind the streetcar since 90% of the line runs in mix traffic. A 2nd streetcar show up putting the first one down 15 minutes. This happen about 100' from the stop platform.

Now, if TTC could this when the streetcars get block from time to time with a nice $200-$300 fine plus towing charges, drivers will learn quick not to do it in the first place.

That line was also conceived and built to be unmanned. The same can not be said about the TTC's subway, and the cost of the work involved to do that would likely dwarf the cost of resignalling the line.

Dan
I thought that the trains drove themselves and the drivers were only responsible for opening and closing the doors.

Edit: Read on Reddit that they're on manual mode because the TTC doesn't want to buy new parts for a dying line.

Last edited:
I thought that the trains drove themselves and the drivers were only responsible for opening and closing the doors.

Edit: Read on Reddit that they're on manual mode because the TTC doesn't want to buy new parts for a dying line.

The line I'm referring to being automated and unmanned is the Vancouver SkyTrain.

The SRT has the capability to be automated (with the on-board operators closing the doors), and has run as so in the past. But as you've noted, they are not doing so currently.

Dan

The line I'm referring to being automated and unmanned is the Vancouver SkyTrain.

The SRT has the capability to be automated (with the on-board operators closing the doors), and has run as so in the past. But as you've noted, they are not doing so currently.

Dan
A lot of it right now depends on the track conditions with the SRT in the winter they tend to run in maual mode more often. There are a couple of ways you can tell if it's in manual mode one the red lights flash on the front of the train and 2 it is extremely jerky with starts and stops and acceleration isn't as fast under manual mode

There are a couple of ways you can tell if it's in manual mode one the red lights flash on the front of the train...

The flashing red lights have nothing to do with whether the train is operating in manual mode or not. They are to signify that the trip cocks have been disabled on that train.

Dan

I thought it had to do with comms issues onboard.

There are other lights elsewhere within the train that will signify errors like that, and others. But having a disabled trip cock is something that needs to be communicated to all trackside workers, and thus the red lights at the front will flash to indicate this.

Dan

Odd that it uses the same bus symbol for both the 509 streetcar and the 900 bus. I assumed it was just for simplicity, until the text talks about bus routes to Billy Bishop!
That’s some impressively close reading.

There are other lights elsewhere within the train that will signify errors like that, and others. But having a disabled trip cock is something that needs to be communicated to all trackside workers, and thus the red lights at the front will flash to indicate this.

Dan

Here's the explination from Reddit:

And if you notice in the wintertime, all SRT vehicles run on manual-mode (the two red lights on top of the carriages flash, and a blue marker light on the side is on, which shows a fault in the on-board computer). At least during the winter, the drivers are actually driving the train and relying on spacing the trains safely based on Transit Control. All other times especially during the summer, the trains are running in automatic mode. I assume this is because the contacts on the rails are blocked by snow and ice. But, the SRT trains especially fully-loaded cannot always negotiate the incline at Kennedy Station, so drivers have to put the train in manual mode to gain speed without the train slipping the tracks. It's fun to be in an SRT train bound to Kennedy going back and forth trying to negotiate that incline as it struggles to climb.

The trains communicate with a computer at Kennedy Station and at Transit Control in Hillcrest. The SRT is Toronto's only rapid transit line capable of Automatic Train Control, until Line 1 is upgraded.

Fun fact: the TTC's signature door chimes were introduced in the SRT

Here's the explination from Reddit:

And if you notice in the wintertime, all SRT vehicles run on manual-mode (the two red lights on top of the carriages flash, and a blue marker light on the side is on, which shows a fault in the on-board computer). At least during the winter, the drivers are actually driving the train and relying on spacing the trains safely based on Transit Control. All other times especially during the summer, the trains are running in automatic mode. I assume this is because the contacts on the rails are blocked by snow and ice. But, the SRT trains especially fully-loaded cannot always negotiate the incline at Kennedy Station, so drivers have to put the train in manual mode to gain speed without the train slipping the tracks. It's fun to be in an SRT train bound to Kennedy going back and forth trying to negotiate that incline as it struggles to climb.

The trains communicate with a computer at Kennedy Station and at Transit Control in Hillcrest. The SRT is Toronto's only rapid transit line capable of Automatic Train Control, until Line 1 is upgraded.

Fun fact: the TTC's signature door chimes were introduced in the SRT

And Reddit is going to know better than the TTC's own employees? Or the people who designed and installed the SRT in the first place?

There's a lot of wrong in that paragraph, not the least of which is the statement that the signal system is turned off in the winter. It's most certainly not. The whole of the line will not run without it.

Dan

Question of the day given the new Line 2 Train maps, what will Line 1 get?

I think everyone has been expecting this for a long time as we add more and more lines and it becomes infeasible to have all the map displayed above the doors,.
I'd say it would be a waste of the light up signs on the TRs to replace the existing maps with just a straight yellow line. Anyways, are there 7 extra horizontal lights on the signs?

Back