News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

This is primarily aimed at BRT/streetcar priority measures.

Ridership volume isn't irrelevant, but its down on the list of reasons for the changes proposed.

The key is whether a route/line is functioning optimally (crowding, headway, gapping/bunching) and what measures might assist in making these better, particularly at low cost.

The TTC knows which routes have issues; their own data shows it to them and for good measure Steve Munro thwacks them over the head with it semi-regularly.

This study is not about new routes, or route alignments.

Its about transit-priority signals, exclusive transit lanes, fewer stops, better route management, parking restrictions, and turn restrictions.

There's no reason to delay making improvements on key routes.

Indeed. Common sense dictates that the vast majority of suburban arterial roads have more than enough width to easily (and cheaply) accommodate BRT ROW's, so why have they not been implemented? Oh yes, we need endless studies and then revised studies to tell us all what we already know. Got it.

Nonsense! They've tried this before........its like the way they perennially debate removing transverse seating in favour of the cattle-car configuration............rider enjoyment/aesthetic appeal be damned.

They have a survey............lets make clear this idea is unwelcome:

Not really - it is easier to clean- those faux velvet seat covering are just nasty (trapping all manners of dirt, spilled liquids, etc) - and they aren't even that comfortable. I can't tell you the number of times I have avoided those seats because of their dubious cleanliness. Like the moment someone put up their feet on those velvet seats (because guess what, they do) the seats are screwed - and you can't just wipe them off.

Long overdue.

AoD

Last edited:
Not really - it is easier to clean- those faux velvet seat covering are just nasty (trapping all manners of dirt, spilled liquids, etc) - and they aren't even that comfortable. I can't tell you the number of times I have avoided those seats because of their dubious cleanliness.

Long overdue.

AoD
I agree that fabric is less clean than plastic, but Fabric is just a lot easier to sit on than hard plastic. This especially when you consider that this is a bus where movement is bumpier than say on a train, which makes the problem worse. I personally already have a hard time sitting on the Azurs, I'm not excited for this at all.

I agree that fabric is less clean than plastic, but Fabric is just a lot easier to sit on than hard plastic. This especially when you consider that this is a bus where movement is bumpier than say on a train, which makes the problem worse. I personally already have a hard time sitting on the Azurs, I'm not excited for this at all.

Transit isn't there to make you feel super comfortable; and besides it doesn't have to be hard plastic - non-porous padded vinyl is fine. I'd rather have clean seats than a dirty seat that I won't sit on.

Oh and the other strike against those fabric seats? It stays wet - as a rider you can't even wipe it dry even if you have paper towels or whatnot on you.

AoD

DRT Pulse has vinyl covered seats on their new buses. It’s just vinyl on a fibreglass substrate. It’s ok, but it’s not as comfortable as their older buses with padded fabric seats.

82F0696F-7805-421C-BD04-0A76779D7ABB.jpeg

Transit isn't there to make you feel super comfortable; and besides it doesn't have to be hard plastic - non-porous padded vinyl is fine. I'd rather have clean seats than a dirty seat that I won't sit on.

Oh and the other strike against those fabric seats? It stays wet - as a rider you can't even wipe it dry even if you have paper towels or whatnot on you.

AoD

The answer is liquid-repelling, non-absorbent fabric; laid over firm, but comfortable padding.

Edit to add: Yes transit is there to make you comfortable. I absolutely cannot abide any argument to the contrary. It would be like suggesting that buildings don't need to look good. This is UT, aesthetics and comfort matter, not merely narrowly-defined utility.

The answer is liquid-repelling, non-absorbent fabric; laid over firm, but comfortable padding.

Edit to add: Yes transit is there to make you comfortable. I absolutely cannot abide any argument to the contrary. It would be like suggesting that buildings don't need to look good. This is UT, aesthetics and comfort matter, not merely narrowly-defined utility.

Fabric option:

From above:

1633540089783.png

I guess I would look to older buses in Vancouver. They have seats covered in vinyl from the same supplier as Durham since at least 2009.

Or just remember the good old H6s. They were fairly comfortable and aged relatively decently - nothing like those nasty red velvet seating that stained like someone had pooped on them (and I am sure some did).

AoD

I am totally pro-plastic seat. Montreal's Azur subway trains have them and I've never felt that they were uncomfortable compared to the TR ones (same philosophy for bus). The pros of cleaner and bug-free seat vastly outweigh minor differences in comfort. Besides, the newer GO coaches have already proven that a fabric seat can be insanely uncomfortable!
I concur, I'm happy that the REM seats are based of the Azur's.

Back