News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The woman who was pushed onto the tracks at Yonge Station is suing the TTC for $1 million dollars.

While I do think this a cash grab, she does have a point. The TTC knew the mentally ill and homeless were a problem on the system but chose to ignore it. That willfull ignorance led to someone getting pushed onto the tracks.

No.

Too far. The TTC has no authority to remove someone from the system or otherwise detain them because they are homeless or mentally ill. Neither of those things are illegal, nor do they contravene TTC by-laws. Yes, people
who find themselves in the above categories ought to have benefited from community outreach, and offers of help; but that really isn't the TTC's traditional mandate or expertise.

The TTC's authority to remove people or involve police is limited to people engaging in criminal conduct, threatening same, or whose mental state is sufficiently problematic and visibly so that there is reasonable belief they may harm themselves or others. Alternatively by-laws do permit ejection for by-law violations, but the only probable one might be non-payment of fares. Given the negative attention that aggressive fare enforcement has been met with, I can't imagine that being undertaken on someone obviously vulnerable.

Morevover, as @marcus_a_j notes above, the vast majority of such vulnerable people do not pose a material risk to others.

I'm interested to see where this goes but it may end up bringing changes to the TTC. While not the same this reminds me of the Human Rights complaint that led to announcements, chimes and textured platform edges on the system.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/wo...onge-station-sues-ttc-for-1-million-1.5900821

Huh?

The legitimate grounds for objection here would be around delayed response...........

And....perhaps, a case could be made for Platform-Edge-Doors; though I don't believe their absence can be reasonably construed as negligence; notwithstanding I think of them as a good idea for a host of reasons.

I'm not saying they should go full Gestapo on everyone but what I am saying is the TTC should have done their due diligence.

The problem of homeless on the system was known for years but the TTC failed to act. Yonge Station had panhandlers for years in the station. It was at one point common to see people begging for money as you came down the escalators.

They would even sit on the platform with signs and a dog. At one point the infamous despesito accordian player was begging in the station regularly claiming he was a "single daddy".

Anyone who has rode the Subway regularly in the past 6 years can admit to having come across homeless either in the stations or on trains.

If proper fare enforcement was done or trespass laws enforced this wouldn't have likely happened.
Six years? People who are unhoused have been evading transit fares for as long as public transit existed. So what? How many panhandlers and unauthorized buskers have pushed people on to the tracks? You’re using this incident as an argument to keep certain people from using a public resource.

And what if the person who pushed someone randomly was just a regular joe who happened to be going through a divorce, crashed their car forcing them to take transit, just got laid off, stepped in dog shit walking to the subway station and momentarily lost it when they thought the victim looked like the person taking them for everything they got?

As @Northern Light noted, we should be providing support and services for vulnerable people. They have just as much right to use transit as you and me. Don’t like their music? Give them some cash and tell them to use it towards lessons.

May 15
Been A year since I last shot the site and work is still on going for the outside as well inside On Berwick Avenue.
52075548422_d6a0df6fec_b.jpg

52077076540_05414ed19d_b.jpg

52076590836_03e32986d8_b.jpg

52076590666_75b02c8bd4_b.jpg

52075547847_98b897c1a2_b.jpg

52077075900_ce72998c8a_b.jpg

Alex quite rightly dragging the crappy design of the Chester "second exit". The stone "bollards" are a key lowlight personally

We'll have to disagree here. Alex has brought that up before and I and many here find merit in the design. Its not perfect by any means, but its reasonably attractive, well executed, warm, with good natural light penetration.

Its far better than most of the original Line 2 stations in my opinion.

Very well written article here, and very accuretly details the issues of the current TTC system. If only TTC management and politicians cared to do anything about it.

Very well written article here, and very accuretly details the issues of the current TTC system. If only TTC management and politicians cared to do anything about it.

Its not bad; but its really light on solutions other than more money; and hold town hall outside of downtown.

There's extensive discussion reliability issues........route 'x' has inordinate delays; but without much detail of the 'why'; and zero on the 'what should be done about it'.

One route was noted as having 40% of its delays due to mechanical issues............ yet the TTC's fleet is relatively new, and much it is currently lying fallow. Is that route stricken by particularly bad buses? If so, do we not have some
spare better/newer ones of a different model?

What of the other 60% of delays? Is it traffic/congestion?; is it rider misbehavior? We need the answers in order to demand the solutions.

One story discussed is that of Amazon employees in Scarborough. As described, it sounds like there is no service targeted to the shift change there.

Just as the TTC has done with High Schools for generations, there needs to be an extra run or two or three at facilities that can suddenly swell the waiting crowd at a bus stop to 50 or 100.
Those 'extra' runs need to literally wait for the crowd, as oppose to being strictly tied to a time.

Delays on Lawrence West are mostly related to the intersection w/the Allen, both for congestion and collisions, something I've discussed in other threads. A fix is required, my ideal one involves removing the Allen......
But regardless, the status quo doesn't work there.

Eglinton West experiences similar issues at the Allen as well, though not quite as bad, pre-construction of the Crosstown.

There are, of course additional system-wide issues around reliability including supervisors who only make an effort to even-out spacing when someone phones TTC and 'asks nicely' ........

May 19
Upcoming TTC subway closures and weekend service updates

May 19, 2022

Victoria Day long weekend service

There are no subway closures scheduled for the upcoming Victoria Day long weekend.

With ActiveTO returning this weekend, several TTC routes will be diverting to accommodate road closures, including the 80 Queensway and 174 Ontario Place Exhibition. Customers are encouraged to leave themselves extra time when travelling through these areas and visit ttc.ca for help planning their trips.

Also beginning at noon on Mon. May 23, the TTC will be increasing service on the 22 Coxwell, 92 Woodbine, and 501 Queen routes to accommodate those travelling to and from Ashbridges Bay Park for the Victoria Day fireworks display. Dedicated shuttle buses will operate from Woodbine and Coxwell stations. Additional TTC personnel will also be on site to help direct customers to the appropriate boarding locations.

Customers are encouraged to subscribe to eAlerts at www.ttc.ca or follow @TTCnotices on Twitter for more information. For more ActiveTO details, visit http://toronto.ca/activeto.

Tuesday - Thursday

Tues., May 24 through Thurs., May 26, subway service on the portion of Line 2 between Jane and Ossington stations will end nightly at 11 p.m. for track work.

Replacement shuttle buses will run and TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations.

While all stations will remain open for people to load their PRESTO card, purchase PRESTO Tickets and connect to surface routes, some entrances/exits will be closed temporarily.

At High Park Station, the automatic entrances/exits at Parkview Gardens will be closed. At Keele Station, the Indian Grove automatic entrance/exit will be closed. At Lansdowne Station, the automatic entrance/exit at Emerson Ave. will be closed. At Dufferin Station, the automatic entrance/exit at Russett Ave. will also be closed. Other entrances and exits will be available for customers at each subway station.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state-of-good-repair work as well as ATC signal upgrades.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternate routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts.

Who calling the shots??

May 20

Is this really happening as TTC Site say NO??

TTC Line 1 Closures for Eglinton Crosstown LRT Construction Work​

May 21 - May 22, 2022​

b9216817-2c1b-b71d-d1cf-26f28afad602.png

What Work Is Taking Place?

TTC’s Line 1 subway will be closed between Lawrence and St. Clair stations from Saturday May 21– Sunday May 22, 2022, to facilitate construction activities for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, including platform extension and mechanical electrical works. Work will take place on a 24-hour basis from Saturday May 21– Sunday May 22, 2022. Berwick Avenue will remain open while this work takes place.​

I asked a similar question in the GO Transit thread, I’ll ask it here too regarding the T1 fleet. With the AODA deadline coming up in 2025(?), are there currently plans to install next stop displays in this fleet? It seems like the TTC has really been dragging their heels here.

I asked a similar question in the GO Transit thread, I’ll ask it here too regarding the T1 fleet. With the AODA deadline coming up in 2025(?), are there currently plans to install next stop displays in this fleet? It seems like the TTC has really been dragging their heels here.
Are visual displays required under AODA? Announcements make sense because of those who can't see. But I'm scratching my head which group can see the display, but not the name on the platform.

Are visual displays required under AODA? Announcements make sense because of those who can't see. But I'm scratching my head which group can see the display, but not the name on the platform.
By the time you see the station name in the platform, it’s too late off you have mobility issues.

Then again if they have that problem, then you should get ready a stop before. If they can’t process that, they probably need an assistant.

Back