News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I find the focus on strengthening TTC security to be largely missing the forest for the trees.

What big picture good is being achieved by kicking all the violent folk off the transit system if they're still able to roam the streets afterwards? A transit system is a reflection of the city in which it runs. New York's subway was a hellhole in the 70s and 80s because New York itself was a crime ridden cesspool. We need a top down strategy that deals with crime city-wide, otherwise you will be perfectly safe on the subway, but you'll be whacked over the head when you step outside.

Of course but in the mean time, temporary security measures are needed. Everyone-- including women and minorities-- should feel safe when they are riding public transit.

Crazy violent people really need to be kept in a mental facility and not roam around this city. If we keep having some protesters advocating for their human rights, when stuff like this happen don't they feel ashamed.

Broadview Station this morning around 8:00 am because of a gun call at Yonge.

Note that the operator put the train out of service, then went back into service (bringing everyone back down to the platform) and then decided to go back out oo service. This lead to the picture below.

IMG-20221209-WA0000.jpg

Likely another nutter off their meds, probably already known to police as an EDP. I’m tired of the loons in this city. Time to bring back the padded cells. But we‘ve seen this path all to well before…. Found NCR, institutionalized for perhaps 24-36 months, then halfway house, then back on the street.

Yesterday when I was going through Warden Station in the morning there was a "resident" talking to herself and uttering slurs. The Collector called her over and asked if she had been drinking again or if she had booze on her.

I have seen this woman be "evicted" from Warden Station several times over the past few months and most recently saw her with her sleeping bag unfurled in the women's washroom next to the heater. She is known to regular users of the station.

This morning when the train I was on turned back at Broadview, there was a homeless person and all their belongings sleeping on the train, oblivious to the fact the train turned back. I noticed him as the train was reversing towards the centre track.

My point is that this is a more common issue than people think and there needs to be systemic change to resolve it.

Broadview Station this morning around 8:00 am because of a gun call at Yonge.

Note that the operator put the train out of service, then went back into service (bringing everyone back down to the platform) and then decided to go back out oo service. This lead to the picture below.

View attachment 444020
This is why I take my car to work when not WFH, even though the TTC is convenient at both ends. I may sit in traffic, but I've got my thermos of coffee and my favourite book series from Audible, and am nutter-free. What could possibly incentive me to take the TTC?

This is why I take my car to work when not WFH, even though the TTC is convenient at both ends. I may sit in traffic, but I've got my thermos of coffee and my favourite book series from Audible, and am nutter-free. What could possibly incentive me to take the TTC?

I was dreading the thought of having to walk from Broadview to St George again. I did that once before when there was a fire at Yonge and it took me over an hour.

Maybe it’s a transit funding announcement? The location does fit with your hypothesis though.
Of course it's a transit announcement as its happening on a TTC property with Min of Transportation there; is it 'roofing over"? We will see.

Of course it's a transit announcement as its happening on a TTC property with Min of Transportation there; is it 'roofing over"? We will see.
I meant transit operational funding to go along with the provincial operational funding announcement event a couple of days ago.

Given it’s location, I know it’s a transit related announcement :)

Reactions: DSC
Here we go. Though NOT made at Davisville.

TORONTO, Dec. 9, 2022 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister of Canada and Minister of Finance; the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities; the Honourable Caroline Mulroney, Ontario's Minister of Transportation and Minister of Francophone Affairs; and His Worship John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto, announced joint funding of up to $1.5 billion for the expansion and rehabilitation of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)'s Bloor-Yonge Subway Station.

With the funding announced today, the City of Toronto will be able to expand and rehabilitate the existing subway station to improve efficiency and capacity and reduce overcrowding during rush hours. Work will include the construction of a second platform on Line 2 for eastbound service, an expansion of the Line 1 northbound and southbound platforms, new elevators, escalators and stairs, and construction of a new accessible entrance and exit on Bloor Street East.

Once complete, this project will increase the station's capacity and accessibility. These improvements will enable more Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) residents to use public transit to get to and from their destination, reduce gridlock on our roads, and help the TTC accommodate a projected growth in ridership.

Quick facts
  • The Government of Canada is investing up to $500 million in this project through the Public Transit Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP). This represents the Government of Canada's formal commitment to the funding first announced in August 2019. The Government of Ontario is providing up to $449.2 million, and the City of Toronto is contributing more than $564 million.

Here we go. Though NOT made at Davisville.

TORONTO, Dec. 9, 2022 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Deputy Prime Minister of Canada and Minister of Finance; the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities; the Honourable Caroline Mulroney, Ontario's Minister of Transportation and Minister of Francophone Affairs; and His Worship John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto, announced joint funding of up to $1.5 billion for the expansion and rehabilitation of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)'s Bloor-Yonge Subway Station.

With the funding announced today, the City of Toronto will be able to expand and rehabilitate the existing subway station to improve efficiency and capacity and reduce overcrowding during rush hours. Work will include the construction of a second platform on Line 2 for eastbound service, an expansion of the Line 1 northbound and southbound platforms, new elevators, escalators and stairs, and construction of a new accessible entrance and exit on Bloor Street East.

Once complete, this project will increase the station's capacity and accessibility. These improvements will enable more Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) residents to use public transit to get to and from their destination, reduce gridlock on our roads, and help the TTC accommodate a projected growth in ridership.

Quick facts
  • The Government of Canada is investing up to $500 million in this project through the Public Transit Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP). This represents the Government of Canada's formal commitment to the funding first announced in August 2019. The Government of Ontario is providing up to $449.2 million, and the City of Toronto is contributing more than $564 million.

This money was formally committed to ages ago; and the project has been proceeding with said money...........this is very much a re-announcement and it seems well and truly peculiar. There's no obvious milestone here to celebrate either. What a complete waste of everyone's time.

Back