News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Equipment is only installed in tunnels between Bloor and St. Patrick and on the Vaughan extension, so it's still pretty useless even if all the cell phone providers signed on.

If they all sign on, there is an incentive to install more.

If they all sign on, there is an incentive to install more.
As a long time customer of theirs, I have always had full signal everywhere between Bloor and St. George. It abruptly cuts out north of St. George, but never south of it. That they say service on University runs only to St. Patrick is odd. Maybe they got their "Saint" stations confused.

Last edited:
The TTC is losing the PR battle over safety on the system. And I’m saying this as someone who still feels completely safe on the TTC. I can see others’ frustration though.

I bet if Andy Byford were still CEO, we would have heard from him a number of times now. Maybe even doing a media tour and riding the subway listening and reassuring riders. I’ve seen him multiple times on the TTC in the past interacting with riders. He seemed pretty accessible.

Current CEO is useless and invisible.
Excellent points. Today‘s article can’t help but to confirm people’s fears.

Paywall free: https://archive.vn/SR5NM

In just some of the other violent incidents this year, a TTC employee was stabbed at Dupont station; a bus driver was accosted and stabbed after a fare dispute; another employee was attacked by six people at Sheppard-Yonge; an Indian international student was shot dead outside Sherbourne station; a man was choked and robbed at Pioneer Village station; a woman was pushed onto the tracks at Bloor-Yonge; a 12-year-old girl was sexually assaulted on a bus; and a woman died after she was doused in flammable liquid and lit on fire on a bus at Kipling station; two women were randomly stabbed (at High Park station), an attack that killed 31-year-old Vanessa Kurpiewska.

I am wary of riding the TTC. Just too many insane and addicted folks. It’s starting to look like NYC.

Last edited:
You're using a story from almost 4 years ago to justify that Toronto is getting to be as unsafe as New York?

If New York is as much of a cesspool as you claim it is, surely there must be something more current?

The current story in The Star is more than a little misleading insofar as it disparages Toronto writ large (the TTC has had surge of incidents this year)

From the above:

"Major crime in Toronto is at a five-year high, according to Toronto police’s public safety data portal. While homicides are down this year, assaults, robberies and sexual violations have all increased from 2021. Overall, major crime is three per cent above 2019 levels — a significant boost after two years of reduced crime during the pandemic. After assault, the second most common crime is auto theft, which has nearly doubled in the past year."

Let's have a closer look at these numbers shall we?

Homicides they note are down, but let's start there anyway:

1672179298020.png

That's a 5-year low, thus far, with 4 days left in the year.

But ok, that's only one part of the violence concern, so how about we look at shootings? (this includes all discharges of guns, illegally, in many cases does not involve someone being shot)

1672179395865.png

Hmm, also a 5-year low.

But what's this about the Major Crime Index, which includes all forms of assault and robbery as well?

1672179483598.png

Ok that one is definitely up.....but by how much exaclty?

The answer is 2.9% from 2019 levels.

So.....what's Toronto's population been growing by again? If we added, conservatively 65,000 residents, on average, every year (we know the peak was much higher); then we've added ~ 200,000 residents since 2019.

That's growth of ~ 7%. Which means........the MCI rate (per 100,000) has actually declined.

All Crime stats are from Toronto Police Public Data Portal.

Accessible here: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJr...jNDMtNDc0Yy04ZmI0LTBmNDA5NWFlOGQ1ZCIsImMiOjN9

Statistical literacy is a problem.

None of which is to take away from the legitimate issue of too many people being homeless and too many people suffering from acute mental illness and/or addiction going untreated, and/or receiving minimal treatment and ongoing support and then ending up both in trouble themselves and causing it for others.

The TTC does need to be somewhat more proactive in addressing problem people on its system; but it also needs a social and healthcare safety net to turn said people over to, and not merely either dump them on the street or give them over to prisons.

Last edited:
You're using a story from almost 4 years ago to justify that Toronto is getting to be as unsafe as New York?
I can‘t tell if your question comes from a place of genuine interest and intellectual curiosity or is just intended to be dismissive. But I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. Yes, I am using a video from 3 years, four months ago to demonstrate what I fear the TTC is becoming - a system where passengers and employees alike fear violence. Even if the video is from 40 months ago, I feel it still relevant.

The TTC needs to get ahead of this issue. Just enforce these two sections 3.25 and 3.34 of Bylaw #1 and the TTC would be a different place.

3.25 No person shall cause a disturbance or act contrary to the public peace on TTC property, including:
b) using profane, insulting or obscene language or gestures;
c) behaving in an indecent or offensive manner;
f) behaving in a manner which would interfere with the ordinary enjoyment of persons using the transit system.
3.34 A proper authority may refuse passage on the transit system to:
a) a person behaving or appearing to behave in a manner that would interfere with the ordinary enjoyment of persons using the transit system or that may result in harm to themselves or others.
b) a person whose conduct is or is likely to be objectionable to other passengers;

The TTC’s ignoring its own bylaws must open the commission up for civil legal action.

Last edited:
Have finally got all my Europe Shots on line and time to look at a few things that may work for TTC and other systems.

Kneeling buses have been around too long, but major of drivers fail to deployed them to help riders off/on. On most systems in Europe, the bus kneels automatic when the driver opens the door. Some systems have the full right side kneeling of the 40's & 60's busses. It would be nice to see this here.

A number of systems have countdown time on the display boards on the front and side for buses and trams as to when they will enter service or depart.

In all my trips, since 2012, displace screens/signs on all type of vehicles not only show the next 3 stops, but the time to them as well connecting routes if there any then. If there are connecting routes at stops. those routes are shown until it nears the stop when a new screen is shown for those routes, but also when the next 2 vehicles are to be at that stop for all routes.

TTC has an PCC and a Witt, yet TTC never has them out on the weekend during the summer months like a number of system in Europe. In Stockholm, we rode a 115 year old tram that runs every other day with another type taking its place on those off days and sadly me never got to see it or ride it. In Frankfurt we saw the Ebbelwei-Expreß Duewag/Crede K Carriage (1949-1954), but never got the chance to ride. Amsterdam didn't have their historical tram out due to the fact haft the system was being rebuilt. Brussels is still running their 3-section PCC in service as well Milano single and 3 sections Witt from 1927-35.

Considering ebuses have been around since about 2014, NA is way behind Europe to the point some system are fully ebuses to 50% now. Some system will be 100% by 2025 while other will be by 2030 that have over 1000 buses. Paris has 4000 buses and to be 100% converted by 2035. Most buses systems have articulated ebuses that are charge on route or at the garage as well 40's. Rode mostly ebuses with a few being charge at the end of the route or major bus terminals. Rode a few to the end and were charged or top off within 5 minutes that is part of their layover time schedule wise.

Saw 5 different types of charging systems with 3 different types of pan pole going up to the overhead charger, one that drop down from the the charger to the top of the bus and the standard plug in. Most of the articulated buses are out 24 hours a day.

It would be nice to see TTC historically fleet out in the summer carrying riders.

It would be great if all transit systems move the end date for conversion to ebuses up 10 years.

A large number of system have real time display on the front and side display as well inside as to when the vehicle will depart. Then, they have screens inside of the vehicle the next 2-3 stops showing the time to them, the end of the line as well route numbers for any of those stops. As a vehicle approach x stops with connecting routes, the screen display all the routes in detail as well the time for the next 2 vehicle will arrive for each of those routes.

Not that hard to have real time info on NA vehicles as well showing stops.
Stockholm
52367557797_93dc687436_b.jpg

Brussels
52530458503_9bfafc64c3_b.jpg

Millano (1927-1930)
52350416122_766f89a5f8_b.jpg

Copenhagen
52375672372_c0f14c38ab_b.jpg

Milano
52351797091_033db502b0_b.jpg

Rotterdam
52491217718_bdb20e51ce_b.jpg

Amsterdam
52478787960_2672c1022e_b.jpg

Camera decided to stop recording for some reason

A bit of a ridiculous recall that will affect the TTC.

Issue:
Certain buses were equipped with front auxiliary lamps of a non-standard colour, such as blue lights next to the front destination sign. Canadian regulations provide requirements for the colours of vehicle lighting.

Safety Risk:
Auxiliary lamps of non-standard colour could distract or confuse other drivers and increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Actions:
Nova Bus will notify owners by mail and provide you with directions for removing or replacing the non-standard colour auxiliary lamps with white ones.

Personally, I think if the blue lights on the TTC bus are enough to cause you to have an accident, you’re not qualified enough to be a motorist.

Also why this specifically mentions Nova Bus, I don’t know.

A bit of a ridiculous recall that will affect the TTC.

Issue:
Certain buses were equipped with front auxiliary lamps of a non-standard colour, such as blue lights next to the front destination sign. Canadian regulations provide requirements for the colours of vehicle lighting.

Safety Risk:
Auxiliary lamps of non-standard colour could distract or confuse other drivers and increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Actions:
Nova Bus will notify owners by mail and provide you with directions for removing or replacing the non-standard colour auxiliary lamps with white ones.

Personally, I think if the blue lights on the TTC bus are enough to cause you to have an accident, you’re not qualified enough to be a motorist.

Also why this specifically mentions Nova Bus, I don’t know.

I can see the TTC pushing back on this and winning. There is an exemption to be had regarding this given that blue is the universal standard for handicap accessibility.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

It would be great if all transit systems move the end date for conversion to ebuses up 10 years.
Why? Can grids handle an influx of EVs? Plus many grids aren't clean enough to justify charging EVs. And don't forget the highly polluting mining required for the batteries' lithium. I'm with Toyota's CEO when he says EVs are overhyped.

Reactions: T3G
I can see the TTC pushing back on this and winning. There is an exemption to be had regarding this given that blue is the universal standard for handicap accessibility.

Seems entirely unnecessary. Though the blue is now redundant with all vehicles being accessible.

Also raises the question of streetcars, with their blue lights. And the green ones they were using before that for decades (on the CLRVs, etc.).

The blue is very useful to see a bus/streetcar coming in the distance. I don't see what this would be confused with.

The blue is very useful to see a bus/streetcar coming in the distance. I don't see what this would be confused with.
Well there's your trouble, you're thinking about it.

The drivers who are being pandered to don't, about this or any other topic anyone can think of.

Not that I support coddling wayward drivers, if this is something they are challenged by they ought to have their license revoked. But hey, tail wags the dog around these parts.

Why? Can grids handle an influx of EVs? Plus many grids aren't clean enough to justify charging EVs. And don't forget the highly polluting mining required for the batteries' lithium. I'm with Toyota's CEO when he says EVs are overhyped.
We are killing the planet to the point which evil resource is better than another to meet the over growth of population today as well tomorrow. We cities blanketed in poor air qualify that has a huge impact on everyone including the Healthcare.

We are depleting one resource after another by digging the earth up to find the resources and cutting mountains down for it

As I stated in an professional group before this posting:
With the big push in the US to battery power vehicles, how are vehicles going to get power when existing systems have a hard time meeting current development?? Getting trucks from coast to coast will take a lot longer than today with all the recharging time that will be longer than filling up a tank of fuel as well the car.

Even moving to rail Electrification will require a lot more clean power compare to what is on hand today and where will it come from??

At the end of the day, battery power seems the way to go until x comes along to replace it. Starting 2026, we will see the phasing out of gas and diesel fuel vehicles and hopefully better air to breathe. The faster we make the changes starting with transit, the better we are off.

Back