News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A friend of mine would say: if you're truly homeless, you don't even have the energy to speak (because of hunger), let alone act badly against someone. These are crimes of opportunity (usually funding an addiction).

Exactly! Just let fare evasion go. In my experience, 99% of the people getting on the bus do pay their fare. The ones that don't, the driver should let them on anyway, it's just not worth the confrontation.
You misunderstood my point. It was not to ignore fare evasion but to suggest that fare enforcement by the police would be useless based on their record. The problem with YOUR solution is that if fare evasion is ignored, it will not be long before the (maybe) 1% of non-payers now will soon be 10% and then .....

I also don't support drivers enforcing fares. My arguments are every bit as self serving (I don't want the driver to hold up the ride for something like that) as they are altruistic (the driver's job should be to just drive. No fare enforcement, no customer service, nothing that could put them in danger or distract them from driving in any capacity).

It's worked in Europe for decades, they must be doing something right.

Last edited:
You misunderstood my point. It was not to ignore fare evasion but to suggest that fare enforcement by the police would be useless based on their record. The problem with YOUR solution is that if fare evasion is ignored, it will not be long before the (maybe) 1% of non-payers now will soon be 10% and then .....

I've been taking transit for over 20 years, trust me, fare evasion is the least of the TTC's worries!

Exactly! Just let fare evasion go. In my experience, 99% of the people getting on the bus do pay their fare. The ones that don't, the driver should let them on anyway, it's just not worth the confrontation.
That's what I wonder. Sometimes when I take the streetcar I feel like I'm the only people that does pay

Back on this horse for a minute. Obviously this author (Davide Mastracci) comes with a certain bias, but present some research and arguments.

From this piece, "I am arguing that this media coverage can make people more scared to take the TTC than they would otherwise be. I am arguing that this fear is useful for the police. I am arguing that having more police on the TTC won’t fix existing problems, and will make others worse."

Haven't listened to this yet. Thought I'd drop it here for interest

Last edited:
Everyone is crying about a potential transit death spiral but totally ignoring how valid this point is, especially on the streetcar lines where you can take your entire trip for free.

I spoke to a constable once and they said there is a massive overlap between people who don't pay and people with arrest warrants. Seems like a good way to kill 2 fish

I just read through what happened on Jan 31st, jesus christ that was really mean to @turbanplanner. I agree he can be misinformed on various issues, but that was too far. Can we like not discredit people by strawmanning motivations, or calling them an idiot for not immediately thinking/being too scared to press a yellow strip and instead seeking help from an employee (which is basic human instinct). Imma be honest, if I was in the same position, my first instinct would probably not involve pressing the yellow strip either (I've been riding the TTC regularly for 10 years, and not once have I ever been on a train that had to emergency stop). Let's not just dogpile people we don't like okay?

I just read through what happened on Jan 31st, jesus christ that was really mean to @turbanplanner. I agree he can be misinformed on various issues, but that was too far. Can we like not discredit people by strawmanning motivations, or calling them an idiot for not immediately thinking/being too scared to press a yellow strip and instead seeking help from an employee (which is basic human instinct). Imma be honest, if I was in the same position, my first instinct would probably not involve pressing the yellow strip either (I've been riding the TTC regularly for 10 years, and not once have I ever been on a train that had to emergency stop). Let's not just dogpile people we don't like okay?

Please for the love of god and everything holy can we not dredge this up again.

Seriously...

Please for the love of god and everything holy can we not dredge this up again.

Seriously...
I'm not interested in doing any relitigation. My point is, can we not dogpile on people like this? Let's show some restraint when dealing with people who are misinformed, or who had a different experience from what we had. That whole thread was absolutely painful to readthrough.

I'm not interested in doing any relitigation. My point is, can we not dogpile on people like this? Let's show some restraint when dealing with people who are misinformed, or who had a different experience from what we had. That whole thread was absolutely painful to readthrough.
LOL not going to start anything again but, I'm very pro transit and density (FFS I'll literally find a fun challenge to do while riding the TTC) but like nobody seems to consider you can't just do a blanket approach or use what other cities do if the culture is different.

Everyone here wants roughly the same end result, we all just have different life experience to paint the way we go about things.

Back