News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Couldn't phones use freedoms signal to dial 911? I'm also worried rogers is going to scrap wifi now.

Yes, any carrier's phone can dial 911 where available now.

But 911 is not available in all stations or tunnels now, only the downtown U, the TYSSE and St. George to Yonge on Line 2, the rest of the system has reception (were underground)

So the proposal here is extend access to 911 and the entire 5G cell service to the entire system, all tunnels, all stations.

Yes, any carrier's phone can dial 911 where available now.

But 911 is not available in all stations or tunnels now, only the downtown U, the TYSSE and St. George to Yonge on Line 2, the rest of the system has reception (were underground)

So the proposal here is extend access to 911 and the entire 5G cell service to the entire system, all tunnels, all stations.
I know, but BAI's plan was to run freedoms signal into the tunnels as well. If you visited doors open in lower bay last year they actually showed the equipment they were going to install. I wonder will Rogers speed things up since they have more money to throw around

There will have to be a public education campaign to let people know when to use the passenger assistance alarm versus when to call 911 versus when to email in a complaint. I can see a lot of people phoning 911 for fairly mindless things.

I know, but BAI's plan was to run freedoms signal into the tunnels as well. If you visited doors open in lower bay last year they actually showed the equipment they were going to install. I wonder will Rogers speed things up since they have more money to throw around

Rogers has indicated its timeline in the news release I posted above. (2 years to complete 100% system coverage)

I had no idea they were showing that at Doors Open, hopefully I'll have a chance to see it this year

I had no idea they were showing that at Doors Open, hopefully I'll have a chance to see it this year
Unlikely they'll have lower bay open again but maybe there's a chance. If not, here's a photo I took
IMG_3605.jpg

Not overly concerned about free WiFi - it's more trouble than it's worth anyways (and a security nightmare in general).

AoD
It's possible to make phone calls to any phone number (not just 911) underground today over the wifi with the Big 3 today via Wifi Calling if you have a VPN (BAI might be blocking it if you don't use one, idk).

If you don't have Wi-Fi, then there's less of a backstop for people with other carriers (if those other carriers don't participate).

It's possible to make phone calls to any phone number (not just 911) underground today over the wifi with the Big 3 today via Wifi Calling if you have a VPN (BAI might be blocking it if you don't use one, idk).

If you don't have Wi-Fi, then there's less of a backstop for people with other carriers (if those other carriers don't participate).

Phone calls is the element I am least looking forward to and can do completely without re: subway 5G. Data on the other hand is essential.

AoD

Phone calls is the element I am least looking forward to and can do completely without re: subway 5G. Data on the other hand is essential.

AoD

Totally in agreement here, people on the bus yammering on their cellphones for no good reason when sitting directly beside someone else, broadcasting the details of their insignificant life to the world, like the bus were some new form of social media. LOL. I'd be for blocking voice communication on phones in buses if we could manage it. (911 excepted)

AoD
Ok, I'll just use all of the other ways of calling people on data, like Discord, or Teams, or literally any other communications service that relies on the internet rather than cellular.

AoD
But there's already wifi. The only things I can think of, that you can't already do over the existing free wifi, that 5G in tunnels will enable are voice calls, and live streaming. If you disallow these two things, it defeats the purpose.

My phone connects to the available Wi-Fi when the train pulls into each station, so I can still read the news, send texts, stream low-quality video, etc... albeit with a bit of a delay...

Back