8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Cross post

Construction related service changes to begin Sunday

August 30, 2023

Beginning Sun., Sept. 3, regular bus and streetcar service will resume at Main Street Station following completion of critical repairs to the bus and streetcar loop. 506 Carlton streetcars will return to the station, while boarding for bus and Wheel-Trans services resume in the station.

With the resumption of 506 Carlton streetcars to Main Street Station, 506C (Victoria Park -Castle Frank Station) replacement buses will be removed.

Several other construction projects in the City will impact TTC bus and streetcar service. The TTC is working hard to ensure that customers have as many options as possible to get to and from their destinations.

St Clair Avenue West

As part of a modernization of TTC streetcar infrastructure, overhead power upgrades will be implemented across the 512 St Clair route. Work will be coordinated with construction inside St Clair West station, track and concrete repairs at various locations along the corridor, and with major infrastructure works by Metrolinx, City of Toronto, and Toronto Water planned in the area.

Starting Sun., Sept. 3, until summer 2024:

• 512 St Clair streetcars will be replaced with buses. Buses will arrive every few minutes during peak periods, serving curbside stops. At St Clair West Station, buses will serve temporary stops on St Clair Ave. W., outside the station entrances. At St Clair Station, buses will board at the upper-level streetcar loop.

• 33 Forest Hill buses will board on the south side of St Clair Ave. W., outside St Clair West Station.

• 90 Vaughan buses will divert both ways to Bathurst Station, via Vaughan Rd. and Bathurst St. Northbound buses will serve the St Clair Ave. W. and Bathurst St. intersection directly, while southbound buses will bypass the intersection via Vaughan Rd.

• 126 Christie buses will board on the north side of St Clair Ave. W., outside St Clair West Station.

Ontario Line construction on De Grassi Street bridge

Between Sun., Sept. 3 and Sun., Oct. 8, several service changes will be made to the 501 Queen, 503 Kingston Road, and 505 Dundas at various times due to Ontario Line construction on the De Grassi Street bridge.

• Sun., Sept. 3 – Fri., Sept. 22, 501 Queen streetcar service will be replaced by 505 Dundas streetcars on Queen Street East from Broadview Ave to Neville Park Loop.

• Fri., Sept. 22 – Sun., Oct. 8, a new 501D Queen bus service will operate between Neville Park Loop and Church St.

• Sat., Sept. 23 – early 2024, 505 Dundas streetcars will divert both ways via Broadview Ave., Gerrard St. E., and Coxwell Ave., ending at Kingston-Queen Loop.

• Fri., Sept. 29 – Mon., Oct. 2, 501D Queen / 301 Queen Night Bus, 72A Pape and 503 Kingston Rd. buses will divert both ways via Broadview Ave., Dundas St. E., Carlaw Ave., and Queen St. E.

• Mon., Oct. 2 – Sun., Oct. 8, 501D Queen bus service will return to operating between Neville Park Loop and Church St. 72A Pape and 503 Kingston Rd. buses will return to operating on Queen St. E., between Broadview and Carlaw avenues.

King-Queen-Queensway-Roncesvalles

Resumption of streetcar service to Long Branch has been deferred, as work continues to complete major infrastructure upgrades in the King St. W., Queen St. W., The Queensway, and Roncesvalles Ave. (KQQR) intersection area.

The TTC had expected to restore streetcar service along The Queensway, west of Roncesvalles Ave., on Sun., Sept. 3. However, further time is required to complete the installation of poles and overhead cables, and to conduct testing and commissioning of the new infrastructure. (Not Surprises)

Until work is completed later this fall:

• 501L Queen replacement buses will continue to operate between Long Branch and Dufferin St.

• 501A Queen streetcars will now operate between Roncesvalles Ave. and McCaul St.

• Additional 504 King streetcars will operate between Roncesvalles Ave. and Parliament St. during the morning and afternoon peak periods.

Full details of the service adjustments coming into effect this Sunday are available at https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/Service-Changes.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that affect service and about alternate routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for e-Alerts.

Cross post

August 30, 2023

Beginning Sun., Sept. 3, regular bus and streetcar service will resume at Main Street Station following completion of critical repairs to the bus and streetcar loop. 506 Carlton streetcars will return to the station, while boarding for bus and Wheel-Trans services resume in the station.

With the resumption of 506 Carlton streetcars to Main Street Station, 506C (Victoria Park -Castle Frank Station) replacement buses will be removed.

Several other construction projects in the City will impact TTC bus and streetcar service. The TTC is working hard to ensure that customers have as many options as possible to get to and from their destinations.

St Clair Avenue West

As part of a modernization of TTC streetcar infrastructure, overhead power upgrades will be implemented across the 512 St Clair route. Work will be coordinated with construction inside St Clair West station, track and concrete repairs at various locations along the corridor, and with major infrastructure works by Metrolinx, City of Toronto, and Toronto Water planned in the area.

• 512 St Clair streetcars will be replaced with buses. Buses will arrive every few minutes during peak periods, serving curbside stops. At St Clair West Station, buses will serve temporary stops on St Clair Ave. W., outside the station entrances. At St Clair Station, buses will board at the upper-level streetcar loop.

• 33 Forest Hill buses will board on the south side of St Clair Ave. W., outside St Clair West Station.

• 90 Vaughan buses will divert both ways to Bathurst Station, via Vaughan Rd. and Bathurst St. Northbound buses will serve the St Clair Ave. W. and Bathurst St. intersection directly, while southbound buses will bypass the intersection via Vaughan Rd.

• 126 Christie buses will board on the north side of St Clair Ave. W., outside St Clair West Station.

Between Sun., Sept. 3 and Sun., Oct. 8, several service changes will be made to the 501 Queen, 503 Kingston Road, and 505 Dundas at various times due to Ontario Line construction on the De Grassi Street bridge.

• Sun., Sept. 3 – Fri., Sept. 22, 501 Queen streetcar service will be replaced by 505 Dundas streetcars on Queen Street East from Broadview Ave to Neville Park Loop.

• Fri., Sept. 22 – Sun., Oct. 8, a new 501D Queen bus service will operate between Neville Park Loop and Church St.

• Sat., Sept. 23 – early 2024, 505 Dundas streetcars will divert both ways via Broadview Ave., Gerrard St. E., and Coxwell Ave., ending at Kingston-Queen Loop.

• Fri., Sept. 29 – Mon., Oct. 2, 501D Queen / 301 Queen Night Bus, 72A Pape and 503 Kingston Rd. buses will divert both ways via Broadview Ave., Dundas St. E., Carlaw Ave., and Queen St. E.

• Mon., Oct. 2 – Sun., Oct. 8, 501D Queen bus service will return to operating between Neville Park Loop and Church St. 72A Pape and 503 Kingston Rd. buses will return to operating on Queen St. E., between Broadview and Carlaw avenues.

Resumption of streetcar service to Long Branch has been deferred, as work continues to complete major infrastructure upgrades in the King St. W., Queen St. W., The Queensway, and Roncesvalles Ave. (KQQR) intersection area.

The TTC had expected to restore streetcar service along The Queensway, west of Roncesvalles Ave., on Sun., Sept. 3. However, further time is required to complete the installation of poles and overhead cables, and to conduct testing and commissioning of the new infrastructure. (Not Surprises)

• 501L Queen replacement buses will continue to operate between Long Branch and Dufferin St.

• 501A Queen streetcars will now operate between Roncesvalles Ave. and McCaul St.

• Additional 504 King streetcars will operate between Roncesvalles Ave. and Parliament St. during the morning and afternoon peak periods.

Full details of the service adjustments coming into effect this Sunday are available at https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/Service-Changes.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that affect service and about alternate routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for e-Alerts.
place your bets if long branch will have service before 2024?

Cross post

August 30, 2023

St Clair Avenue West

Who manages these projects? They must get paid by the hour not by the project.

Woof that TIFF diversion for the 504 in the east.
They are seriously keeping streetcar services only from Cherry to Jarvis? Why not run the buses all the way through?

So if you are heading in westbound from the east end to the financial district:
Ride the 505 streetcar to Broadview;
Transfer to the 72 bus and ride it to Parliament;
Transfer to the 504 streetcar and ride to Jarvis;
Transfer to the 504 bus and get to King/Bay area.

And reverse that to go back west.

I suppose you could wait to find a rare 503 bus, and hope there's actually a spot to get on that, though I've been bypassed with them full going downtown in morning rush hour.

Why didn't they just have the 504 bus go the whole way east to the Distillery and back west for the duration of TIFF instead of the above ridiculous arrangement ending at Jarvis?
Please tell me I am reading the (confusing) map wrong?

Last edited:
Steve Munro has the full set of service changes for September.

The TTC only released these yesterday, so he doesn't have his usual spreadsheet up yet, but it is coming.

Call me underwhelmed.

Its a start, but a very modest start.

Sept 2
Had my last look at St Clair West Loop and did a photo shoot as well as it will not look the same when it reopens a year from now, The width of the existing platform will be narrow to allow for 2 tracks in place of the current one as well bus bays clearances, The north end will be a tight fit for 4 tracks as there are support columns in the way and not much to work with.

Was on a 504 heading to Dundas West and taken back on the announcement for the Roncesvalles's stops. The announcement said the platforms were non accessible other than the Queen one. Going by them and happen to be sitting at the door for the ramp, saw nothing to say the platforms were non accessible. They are completed from my point of view. Haven heard that message going south. Either someone hasn't update the announcement system or there is an unseen issue.

Very few riders on the 511 express bus to the Ex today. 504B were pack full for the 4 I saw near Dufferin.

Sept 2
Had my last look at St Clair West Loop and did a photo shoot as well as it will not look the same when it reopens a year from now, The width of the existing platform will be narrow to allow for 2 tracks in place of the current one as well bus bays clearances, The north end will be a tight fit for 4 tracks as there are support columns in the way and not much to work with.
They aren't changing the track layout it's staying as it is unless you have a source that says something other than what Steve Munro has reported already.

No express buses this year

TTC adds service for customers heading to the CNE
Beginning Fri., Aug. 18 until Mon., Sept. 4, the TTC will be increasing service for the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) to help customers get to and from the festivities as quickly and easily as possible.
We four drove from Cabbagetown to the CNE on Saturday. We left our house at 9:30 am, there was no traffic whatsoever enroute, and arrived at 9:50 am, parking underneath the Enercare Centre. Parking was readily available, costing $40 vs. $26.40 for eight Presto fares. So for under $14 bucks we skipped the hassle of having to wait and take three or four different TTC routes (65 bus to Castlefrank, Line 2 to Yonge, Line 1 to Union, streetcar to Exhibition; or 506 streetcar to College, Line 1 to Union and streetcar; or 65 bus to Castlefrank, Line 2 to Bathurst and streetcar) and at the end of the day when we left at 4pm after the air show we were home by 4:30 pm.

Though I may have an unreasonable disdain for the TTC’s exhibition service. As a young adult in the early 1990s I worked at Ontario Place while living at Kingston Road and Warden. I remember that I could ride my bicycle to work and arrive faster than the TTC. This was especially true with the dead slow streetcars from Bathurst Station. I remember that when the streetcars were replaced by much faster buses that the travel time from Bathurst to Exhibition was halved.

Last edited:
The Dufferin busses to the CNE were quite packed, huge crowds, and a very unpleasant ride (nothing to grab onto because of how packed the bus was). I would drive or uber next time.

That's why I'm walking to the CNE right now.

Just about to walk through the Dufferin Gates.
Should be better by 2031, the Ontario Line project is planned for completion in 2031. We'll see if the Ontario Line will draw the crowds away from Dufferin Station. Likely the Lakeshore West GO's Exhibiton Station will also be improved enough by then, for the people coming from the west.

We four drove from Cabbagetown to the CNE on Saturday. We left our house at 9:30 am, there was no traffic whatsoever enroute, and arrived at 9:50 am, parking underneath the Enercare Centre. Parking was readily available, costing $40 vs. $26.40 for eight Presto fares. So for under $14 bucks we skipped the hassle of having to wait and take three or four different TTC routes (65 bus to Castlefrank, Line 2 to Yonge, Line 1 to Union, streetcar to Exhibition; or 506 streetcar to College, Line 1 to Union and streetcar; or 65 bus to Castlefrank, Line 2 to Bathurst and streetcar) and at the end of the day when we left at 4pm after the air show we were home by 4:30 pm.

Though I may have an unreasonable disdain for the TTC’s exhibition service. As a young adult in the early 1990s I worked at Ontario Place while living at Kingston Road and Warden. I remember that I could ride my bicycle to work and arrive faster than the TTC. This was especially true with the dead slow streetcars from Bathurst Station. I remember that when the streetcars were replaced by much faster buses that the travel time from Bathurst to Exhibition was halved.
It's not particularly surprising it's faster on the weekend. The traffic issues on weekends, don't tend to be in the core, but on the approaches.

Warden and Kingston is a bit of a transit anomaly. Even I drive there, with too many transfers and doglegs to get there from here in the upper Beaches. Though I'd think the fastest way would have been to bike to Danforth GO station on Main Street and then take the GO Train.

The buses are faster because they are express; and the streetcars weren't. To get an express streetcar to the Ex you'd have to build a new subway! Which will hopefully open in less than 10 years.

But wait a minute - where ARE the express buses from the Bloor subway this year?

Last edited:
Reactions: PL1

Back