News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I am listening to the TTC Radio on Broadcastify right now and they are claiming tetra is down.

Apparently direct communications between trains and transit control are affected.

Anyone know what tetra is and what is going on?

I am listening to the TTC Radio on Broadcastify right now and they are claiming tetra is down.

Apparently direct communications between trains and transit control are affected.

Anyone know what tetra is and what is going on?
TETRA usually refers to secure radio within public service agencies (although given we are in Canada, the term may be used for a similar technology rather than the exact standard) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Trunked_Radio

More seriously, what is going on with the track network at present between St Clair and Bloor? (Mostly northbound but also southbound in places) I was standing at St Clair this morning and there is a track level placard “max 15km/h”. Has anyone seen any statements from TTC about why this is suddenly the case?

I did see some ties piled in the open cut between Bloor and Rosedale - given how they were coloured and contoured I wondered if they were composite

TETRA usually refers to secure radio within public service agencies (although given we are in Canada, the term may be used for a similar technology rather than the exact standard) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Trunked_Radio

More seriously, what is going on with the track network at present between St Clair and Bloor? (Mostly northbound but also southbound in places) I was standing at St Clair this morning and there is a track level placard “max 15km/h”. Has anyone seen any statements from TTC about why this is suddenly the case?

I did see some ties piled in the open cut between Bloor and Rosedale - given how they were coloured and contoured I wondered if they were composite

If I recall, there were some noted track issues north of St Clair that cropped up years ago.

I believe the repairs were deferred due to how invasive and complicated they were.

@smallspy do you happen to recall what I'm referring to? I think it was track issues near davisville.

If major work is needed on the original open cut section of the Yonge line, I wonder if after the Crosstown LRT opens if it would be worth it to do a 3-4 month total closure from Bloor to Eglinton to allow for 24/7 work. Preferably in the summer when ridership is lower. The Crosstown from Eglinton to Cedervale stations would act as the main detour route to access line 1 north of Eglinton. All day service from Oriole and Old Cummer GO stations, and maybe even rerouting or extending some bus lines to the Spadina side of line 1 could also help. A few transit agencies in the US have done similar projects. This would take a lot of planning and coordination (and there'd be a subfleet of TRs stuck on the Sheppard and north Yonge lines for a time), but it probably would be the least disruptive if this kind of work is unavoidable.

If major work is needed on the original open cut section of the Yonge line, I wonder if after the Crosstown LRT opens if it would be worth it to do a 3-4 month total closure from Bloor to Eglinton to allow for 24/7 work. Preferably in the summer when ridership is lower. The Crosstown from Eglinton to Cedervale stations would act as the main detour route to access line 1 north of Eglinton. All day service from Oriole and Old Cummer GO stations, and maybe even rerouting or extending some bus lines to the Spadina side of line 1 could also help. A few transit agencies in the US have done similar projects. This would take a lot of planning and coordination (and there'd be a subfleet of TRs stuck on the Sheppard and north Yonge lines for a time), but it probably would be the least disruptive if this kind of work is unavoidable.

If recall, there was an issue with the track bed in the area of Davisville Yard.

The repairs were quite extensive and expensive leading to a major closure of the line for weeks if not months. Simply put, it was deferred because there was no easy way to do the work.

@smallspy do you happen to recall what I'm referring to? I think it was track issues near davisville.
I don't know what the current issues are with the line. (I've got questions out to people in order to get some answers.)

The issues north of Davisville have to do with a high water table/underground river through the area. There was some concern about 10 years ago that the TTC was going to need to shut down the line for a couple of months in order to completely rebuild the track through there (likely by removing the track and ballast, and installing a concrete structure to run the rails on).

Since then, the TTC has done a bunch of work through there, and the concern that did exist has dissipated. I suspect in the long term something will need to be done through there - but it seems that whatever issues they were having back then they have been able to resolve, at least on an ongoing basis.

Dan

I don't know what the current issues are with the line. (I've got questions out to people in order to get some answers.)

The issues north of Davisville have to do with a high water table/underground river through the area. There was some concern about 10 years ago that the TTC was going to need to shut down the line for a couple of months in order to completely rebuild the track through there (likely by removing the track and ballast, and installing a concrete structure to run the rails on).

Since then, the TTC has done a bunch of work through there, and the concern that did exist has dissipated. I suspect in the long term something will need to be done through there - but it seems that whatever issues they were having back then they have been able to resolve, at least on an ongoing basis.

Dan

THAT is it.

Thank you Dan! You da best!

Catenary deicing yesterday on Queen.

PXL_20240125_193823906.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Last edited:
A question regarding King Street 504 streetcar operations. When going under the railway overpass between Sudbury Street and Atlantic Avenue, there was a longstanding SLOW order - my understanding was it was due to the risk of the trolly pole coming off the overhead and getting smashed on one of the cross-beams in the bottom of the overpass structure with the associated operational impacts and repair costs. Now, with pantograph operation on the 504, the streetcars still appear to be crawling through the underpass stretch at the same (or similar) SLOW order speed. Anyone know if this is a permanent situation, or just a legacy Standard Operating Procedure that was never updated after conversion to pantograph operations?

If anyone knows, could you please tag me in the response, as I do not normally follow this tread.

Thanks

Email today:

Sheppard-Yonge Station - infrastructure improvements Temporary closure of Harlandale Avenue TTC entrance

Timeline: As early as January 26 to Fall 2024

Work description and purpose

TTC will be working to improve the infrastructure at Sheppard-Yonge Station this year. Starting as
early as January 26, a new duct bank will be constructed underneath Harlandale Avenue along
the south curb lane. A duct bank is an underground reinforced concrete or metal container used
for laying utility lines such as electrical.

In the spring, TTC will also begin work to rehabilitate the pavement of the bus loop, requiring its
temporary closure until late 2024. Additional details regarding the upcoming infrastructure
improvements at Sheppard-Yonge Station can be found at ttc.ca/projects

What to expect during duct bank construction - January 26 to Fall 2024

• To facilitate work safely, the TTC entrance on Harlandale Avenue will be temporarily closed
    starting as early as January 26. Sheppard-Yonge Station has eight other entrances to serve
    customers during this closure.
  • To ensure a safe work zone and to maintain one-way, eastbound traffic on Harlandale Avenue,
    existing on-street Green P parking stalls will be temporarily restricted.
  • No westbound access to Harlandale Avenue from Yonge Street.
  • Work will involve excavating two shafts as seen below. The duct bank between the two shafts
    will be constructed underground using a trenchless method, requiring no further excavation.
  • Work will typically take place daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Access to the Green P parking lot on Harlandale Avenue will be unaffected

A question regarding King Street 504 streetcar operations. When going under the railway overpass between Sudbury Street and Atlantic Avenue, there was a longstanding SLOW order - my understanding was it was due to the risk of the trolly pole coming off the overhead and getting smashed on one of the cross-beams in the bottom of the overpass structure with the associated operational impacts and repair costs. Now, with pantograph operation on the 504, the streetcars still appear to be crawling through the underpass stretch at the same (or similar) SLOW order speed. Anyone know if this is a permanent situation, or just a legacy Standard Operating Procedure that was never updated after conversion to pantograph operations?

If anyone knows, could you please tag me in the response, as I do not normally follow this tread.

Thanks
When the underpass was rebuilt (2007?), it was lowered and the clearances increased. The previous slow order was increased as while the poles were now no longer almost resting along the body, they were still riding at a very low angle. But the main issue isn't necessarily the angle of the pole, but the requirement to have the wires increase in height quickly out of the underpass due to the intersections at either end.

As far as I know the later slow order remains in place. I don't know if the reason given is the clearance of the overpass or if the angle of the wires approaching and departing the underpass still.

Dan

Back