News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I know someone asked about the TTC replacement of the U-Shaped fluorescent lights with the V-Shaped ones, in stations not that long ago, but I can't find the post.

So I thought I'd share that they are currently replacing the old U-shaped Platform lights w/the V-Shape at Main Station.

I also made note recently that the bus/streetcar terminal of Broadview has these installed, though oddly only outdoors, not inside.
It was me! Thanks for the update, I'm regularly in Main, I'll have to take a look!

I don't think I've seen any updated in many years - perhaps since the beginning of the Ford mayoralty.

From the report @Northern Light posted in the Bloor Yonge Capacity Improvements thread here, interesting to see the progress on the new siding at Rosedale and the TTC's search for a new Line 1 yard. If folks here had to locate a new yard for Line 1, where would you put it?

Screenshot_2024-04-07_232231.jpg

True. But the TTC hasn’t experienced up to 30% ride theft on their streetcars ever in its history, until now. Dramatic change is needed, and it can’t just be random inspections.

Random offers the most optimal cost-benefit, and it mostly works. if done right. TTC is too permissive of the "pack" of 4-5 inspectors acting like human fare gates in limited locations. They should be deployed in at most pairs, and yes they should do some checks on buses. Routes that serve high schools would be a good start, I see hordes of over 12 youth boarding without tapping at local high schools. Very much a can't-make-me bit.
Maybe some of those high traffic checkpoints require "confirm tap" fare gates.

- Paul

From the report @Northern Light posted in the Bloor Yonge Capacity Improvements thread here, interesting to see the progress on the new siding at Rosedale and the TTC's search for a new Line 1 yard. If folks here had to locate a new yard for Line 1, where would you put it?

A new Line 1 yard will be at the north end of YNSE, there's nowhere else for it to go.

It has to be on the east (Yonge side) of Line 1, to offset the time that it takes to fill and empty that side of the line to/from Wilson.

There's nowhere along the existing Line 1, east side, where you could build a yard.

On an odyssey out to Scarborough this afternoon, a few questions occurred to me:

1. Is there any particular reason why some stations (notably, STC, for its west side, Eglinton, for Duplex Avenue, and Victoria Park, for Denton Avenue) were not built with secondary entrances? Eglinton is the very worst offender of all, if you're coming from the Duplex side of the station and want to enter it through faregates, that can easily add an extra 4-5 minutes to your journey. Was this an "economy" measure, or were the engineers of yesteryear actually naive enough to think that people wouldn't take short cuts? There's a lot of fare evasion that goes on at these locations, and the TTC has no one to blame but themselves.

2. This may have been buried somewhere in the mountain of fantasy speculation about how the Eglinton Crosstown could've been super speedy, but is there a plan to renovate Kennedy station once all the Crosstown works are complete? Typing in "Kennedy station renovation" into the search bar doesn't produce any useful results. If you were looking for a textbook illustration photo for infrustructure decay, this station would be the most obvious contender in Toronto. Everything is covered in bird goo, exposed piping drips dubious fluids onto unexpecting passers-by's heads, and most of the doors onto the bus platforms are not automatically opening, which is a problem for the reasons listed previously... it is a truly revolting station. The subway platform also looks like a dungeon, but at least that is not a bio hazard.

3. Why do all the expresses running between STC and Kennedy dive into the eastern underpass for what used to be Ellesmere station when they are turning from Ellesmere onto Midland? I certainly didn't notice the amount of demand for left turns here being particularly high, and instituting a bus only lane for left turns as they did at Brimley and Triton would surely save a lot more time than this roundabout solution.

1. Is there any particular reason why some stations (notably, STC, for its west side, Eglinton, for Duplex Avenue, and Victoria Park, for Denton Avenue) were not built with secondary entrances? Eglinton is the very worst offender of all, if you're coming from the Duplex side of the station and want to enter it through faregates, that can easily add an extra 4-5 minutes to your journey. Was this an "economy" measure, or were the engineers of yesteryear actually naive enough to think that people wouldn't take short cuts? There's a lot of fare evasion that goes on at these locations, and the TTC has no one to blame but themselves.

Victoria Park does have a secondary entrance at Teesdale. It has another at Albion Avenue.

3. Why do all the expresses running between STC and Kennedy dive into the eastern underpass for what used to be Ellesmere station when they are turning from Ellesmere onto Midland? I certainly didn't notice the amount of demand for left turns here being particularly high, and instituting a bus only lane for left turns as they did at Brimley and Triton would surely save a lot more time than this roundabout solution.

That entire area is a nightmare for traffic at the moment.

The reason for diving under the bridge at Ellesmere Station is likely to save on travel time.

It is easier to just use existing infrastructure than to modify the flow of traffic.

Victoria Park does have a secondary entrance at Teesdale. It has another at Albion Avenue.
Thanks for the correction. It's been six years since I was last there, memory failed me.

Though the presence of these entrances makes the lack of another by Denton even more baffling.

That entire area is a nightmare for traffic at the moment.

The reason for diving under the bridge at Ellesmere Station is likely to save on travel time.

It is easier to just use existing infrastructure than to modify the flow of traffic.
The turn around the former Elsmere station tends to be at the discretion of the drivers but basically makes sense as instead of cutting across lanes of traffic to male a left hand turn and wait for a light then cut into the express bus lane they can uses the underpass area to lop around and the use the express lane to make a right turn into the express lane, it also differently helps with the longer articulated buses.

Thanks for the correction. It's been six years since I was last there, memory failed me.

Though the presence of these entrances makes the lack of another by Denton even more baffling.

Many years ago Victoria Park had an exit out to the parking lot. It was around 50 metres or so south of the current entrance near where the 67 and 12 board now.

If I recall, this was labeled as the Denton Avenue exit.

When the bus bays were torn down, the entrance shifted over to Victoria Park.

Reactions: T3G
From Denton there's many ways to walk up to Albion to get to the entrance there. Putting an entrance on Denton would only have people use the other two sides of the rectangle.

Here are some pictures I took in 2011 which do mention the original Denton Avenue exit. When they rebuilt the station in 2009-ish they permanently closed it.

It connected the collector booths to the car park via a long corridor that ran directly under the bus bays. It led out to the corner of the car park just south of where the current exit to the bus platforms is now.

Fun fact: Victoria Park used to house the TTC's soil testing lab!

1812851602484.jpg
1812885163323.jpg

On an odyssey out to Scarborough this afternoon, a few questions occurred to me:

There was a Duplex entrance:

1712749694189.png

That's the layout of the original Eglinton Station bus terminal, pre-demolition.

A picture of same via the Toronto Archives:

1712749887983.png

The entrance was demolished with the bus terminal, as the bus terminal concourse was the access path to this entrance/exit.

The rebuilt version of the station here will not feature an access at Duplex/Eglinton, but the main entrance will now be a smidge further west, at the east end of the former bus terminal:

1712750263501.png

1712750291278.png

2. This may have been buried somewhere in the mountain of fantasy speculation about how the Eglinton Crosstown could've been super speedy, but is there a plan to renovate Kennedy station once all the Crosstown works are complete? Typing in "Kennedy station renovation" into the search bar doesn't produce any useful results. If you were looking for a textbook illustration photo for infrustructure decay, this station would be the most obvious contender in Toronto. Everything is covered in bird goo, exposed piping drips dubious fluids onto unexpecting passers-by's heads, and most of the doors onto the bus platforms are not automatically opening, which is a problem for the reasons listed previously... it is a truly revolting station. The subway platform also looks like a dungeon, but at least that is not a bio hazard.

We have a thread for Kennedy Station here:

As to any renos to the existing station, beyond the new entrances/exits etc.; I'm not aware of any wholesale re-do.

I believe the committment was to give it a good clean and to restore or replace any removed finishes such as ceiling slats.

But @smallspy may recall more detail.

Last edited:

In the case of Eglinton Station specifically, what you are looking at now was not what was built originally. And in fact, what is there now is temporary.

The original bus terminal was located along Eglinton, stretching from Duplex to Yonge. There was an entrance at Duplex, but it was closed when that terminal was.

When the current terminal was built, there was thought to adding faregates at both Duplex and Berwick, but it was felt that passenger volumes would be too low to justify it. Plus, the terminal was only temporary, anyways.

The case of STC, when the station was built (and for a long time afterwards) there was nothing located to the west of the station. In fact, there was a plan put forward to build an in-filll station at Brimley - but only once that area got built up. That's only happened in recent history.

There are lots of other cases around the city where the areas surrounding the stations got built up only after the subway started running. In some cases, additional entrances have been built where it was possible to do so.
a bio hazard.

It was calculated to be quicker at busy times to run through the underpass than to make the left turn. One added benefit of this is that it simplifies the stopping locations - no need to build a far-side stop on the south side of Midland, some distance south of the intersection.

Dan

Back