News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Rapido Trains (Canadian model train maker) is accepting preorders for their HO-scale Gloucester model subway trains. Might be nice even as a display piece if you don't run model trains.

Untitled_7.jpg

Statement from TTC CEO Rick Leary on collective bargaining with ATU Local 113

Apr. 15, 2024

The collective agreement between the TTC and ATU 113 expired on March 31. At this point, we are in ongoing negotiations with ATU 113 and we are hopeful that we will reach a fair, negotiated deal.

We are aware of ATU’s statement, and we are pleased to see they are committed to staying at the bargaining table with us to reach an agreement and avoid job action.

We value the work all our 17,000 employees do to deliver safe and reliable service to millions of riders every week – the employees who are members of ATU 113, the TTC’s largest union partner, are a critical part of our operations and this relationship is important to us.

We will continue to negotiate in good faith and we look forward to ongoing talks at the bargaining table.

It is truly exasperating that I now have to take a stance from the other side of the debate, considering I've spent the last 3 days arguing on Slovak transit forums that people should be fined by fare inspectors for vandalizing transit vehicles (I don't know why this was a controversial stance), but there is a vast, vast difference between financially penalizing someone and caning them.

Financial penalties? Yes, and severe ones at that. But caning someone would be a purely punitive, spiteful action that has no place in a liberal democracy.

It is truly exasperating that I now have to take a stance from the other side of the debate, considering I've spent the last 3 days arguing on Slovak transit forums that people should be fined by fare inspectors for vandalizing transit vehicles (I don't know why this was a controversial stance), but there is a vast, vast difference between financially penalizing someone and caning them.

Financial penalties? Yes, and severe ones at that. But caning someone would be a purely punitive, spiteful action that has no place in a liberal democracy.
Maybe not as far as caning but fines don't work if we never enforce them OR if the people who get them just don't pay.

Perhaps we are slowly moving towards a Line 2 shutdown. OL and Line 5 along with all the downtown streetcar lines can fill in its shoes.
Perhaps we can find a way to get subway trains to last 50 to 60 years ... which will surely happen if there's no funding.

Perhaps we are slowly moving towards a Line 2 shutdown. OL and Line 5 along with all the downtown streetcar lines can fill in its shoes.
There will be no line 2 shutdown, there will be no need for the line 2 shutdown, and I surely would appreciate it if we could have a discussion about the natural necessity of replacing life expired rolling stock without overdramatic hyperbole about having to shut the line down.

Last edited:
Unfortunate the budget didn't include Line 2 news.

While this is true, the gov't did commit to extending a dedicated stream of Transit Infrastructure money from 2026 onwards, permanently. I believe 3B per year.

That stream of money, as yet, has not been allocated. In the period in which the Line 2 rollingstock would be replaced, (2026-2031 roughly) you have at least 18B available.

I wouldn't get too concerned at this stage. Now, lets be clear there will be other asks for this money - Milton, Sky Train to UBC in Vancouver, and possibly to North Shore as well, the Blue Line extension in Montreal and/or whatever replaces REM de'Est. And doubtless some others as well.

Though, I would note, that major transit projects have tapped a second fund before, the Trade Corridors fund for cash as well, so there's probably over 20B sloshing about.

can't be worrying about funding new trains, we need that funding to fight vandalism on line 2 🤷‍♂️:rolleyes:

This just screams "Trudeau is a T1 foamer" and has conspiracy written all over it.

Last edited:
Perhaps we can find a way to get subway trains to last 50 to 60 years ... which will surely happen if there's no funding.
Then the TTC will need new, more rigorous design standards for their track and structures to handle the heavier equipment. Plus a plan (and budget) with which to replace all of the existing with the new.

Dan

Back