News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is the TTC planning to repair the ceilings anytime soon? An actual completed ceiling goes a long way.

Maybe southbound? (can't remember if the northbound side has a letter)

It stands for south, yes. Here's a northbound sign:

zrTCxso.jpg

Also, I didn't really know where to share this, but here is my quick concept of electrified Metrolinx-branded regional rail multiple unit (based on a Stadler KISS bi-level):

wBYD3hC.png

ztAx2Y1.png

Last edited:
^I don't know if the TTC plans to repair the ceiling or not. But I did notice that they've removed all the ceiling slats and painted the ceiling black at St. George Station. Looks better in my opinion and easier to maintain.

I'm noticing little useful improvements these days. For example, at Wellesley which I hadn't used for a while, there was a new TV info screen that you can see before paying to see if there were any service disruptions, along with the new signs.

Plus more and more next-bus signs at bus & streetcar shelters, consistent decals at the ticket booths etc. I like these small improvements.

They've been installing those TV info screens around the system. I think Dundas West has had one for nearly two years now.

They've been installing those TV info screens around the system. I think Dundas West has had one for nearly two years now.

They should have information screens and vocal announcements about service disruptions on buses and streetcars and subway cars. Clear vocal announcements. Maybe in toddler simple word talk, for those with limited English. With no humongous terminology.

Still waiting for Sheppard station to get those TV screens. Anyone know when it's coming?

Just to clarify, when I said that Wellesley had a new TV info screen, I didn't mean the TVs on the subway platforms. I meant an additional one that you can see before entering the fare gates at the station entrance. It has had TV info screens on the platforms for a long time like most stations.

Sheppard I remember is one of the only stations without TVs on the platforms. I wonder why?

Lawrence Station bus platforms don't have television sets; I had to rely on a smartphone app.

Just to clarify, when I said that Wellesley had a new TV info screen, I didn't mean the TVs on the subway platforms. I meant an additional one that you can see before entering the fare gates at the station entrance. It has had TV info screens on the platforms for a long time like most stations.

Sheppard I remember is one of the only stations without TVs on the platforms. I wonder why?

They have them installed at every station on that usless billion dolllar hole except the most used station on the line? Someone at TTC needs to get their priorities straight.

On the TTC online website, see link, and click on an individual station, there is no map of the neighbourhood.

On the Montréal's STM Metro website, see link, and click on an individual station, there is a link to a neighbourhood map PDF.

For example, at the Lionel-Groulx station link, the station website has a link to the neighbourhood map PDF.

Lionel-Groulx.jpg

Hey TTC, are you listening?

Attachments

• Lionel-Groulx.jpg
    Lionel-Groulx.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,268
Is the TTC planning to repair the ceilings anytime soon? An actual completed ceiling goes a long way.

It stands for south, yes. Here's a northbound sign:

zrTCxso.jpg

Also, I didn't really know where to share this, but here is my quick concept of electrified Metrolinx-branded regional rail multiple unit (based on a Stadler KISS bi-level):

wBYD3hC.png

ztAx2Y1.png

Man i would love to see GO have those!

TTC Subway Lines: Both numbers and names should be used...

In addition, they should have signs on the side of each car facing out with the destination of the train and the line number. They would show, for example: 1 FINCH. The number would be in a coloured circle. Having just the destination is insufficient, it needs the line number as well. If they can't get the colours using LED pixels, then a decal on the train itself, like they have in New York City.

Number-12-Subway-Sign-NYC-MTA-Train.jpg

nyc-subway.jpg

WKL: I agree with you - On the TTC Subway both line destinations and numbers should be used...

That "12" NYCT Line caught my eye - as you probably know no such NYCT numbered line now exists...
The seven numbered NYCT Subway lines are: 1,2,3 7th Avenue Line (red); 4,5,6 Lexington Avenue Line
(green) and the 7 Flushing Line (purple)...These 80s vintage cars pictured have front end roll signs...
Was this a Photoshop example?

The newest IRT Division NYCT cars have car front LED circle number signs that are in red only...
That pictured #4 route train should have them...

The Staten Island Railway - which has no number or letter designation - R44 cars do use front
end signs with just the destination - easily done on a single route like this one with only two main
destinations: St.George and Tottenville...there are some Great Kills rush hour trains on weekdays...

LI MIKE

I believe they want Single levels, and that central Metrolinx logo should probably become a GO logo.

I agree with the GO logo but considering the platform height at most stations as they exist today it probably isn't a bad idea to go with a short double height and it would allow for fleet commonality. If we had high platforms everywhere I would agree that a short 3 to 4 car train would be more ideal since it allows for more doors which is required when the loads are high and the times between stations is low.

I asked the TTC's Brad Ross about bringing MTA-style line numbering to the front/sides of the subway cars and he said it would only ever be considered on the TTC if interlining were to occur on our system (as it obviously does in NYC).

Back