News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes, pictographs matter. They are meant to assist people who cannot read English. Differentiating between levels of service is a completely different thing I don't feel like discussing.

But does the accuracy of the vehicle matter at all? I mean, the bus pictograph looks nothing like a TTC bus, yet you know it represents a bus. A non english speaking person won't care what vehicle is on it.

But does the accuracy of the vehicle matter at all? I mean, the bus pictograph looks nothing like a TTC bus, yet you know it represents a bus. A non english speaking person won't care what vehicle is on it.

Not really, but the current pictograms depict our fleet of T-whatevers and our unique streetcars. Why not update them with the fleet? Or possibly replace them with generic RT and LRT pictograms, there's not much sense in having new signs that depict vehicles that won't exist in a decade.

When 510 Spadina reopens with the new streetcars, will they be using the new signage along that route?

Anyone know why the TTC doesn't have a letter/numbering system for its subway station exits? (so for example, Exit A, B, C, A1, A2, like what they do on MTR)

Anyone know why the TTC doesn't have a letter/numbering system for its subway station exits? (so for example, Exit A, B, C, A1, A2, like what they do on MTR)
Likely because TTC stations have so few exits compared to some stations. Many stations would simply have an A. Off hands, only Sheppard-Yonge and Bloor-Yonge ever seem to confuse me. Well and Spadina ... but not because it has too many exits ... but that it's 350 metres from the main entrances to the one at Kendal ... which meant my walk underground north to Kendal from Line 2 to get to a location at the corner of Lowther and Spadina was a complete waste of time. I can't fathom why they didn't build an exit at Lowther and Spadina - isn't the tunnel right under the intersection?

Likely because TTC stations have so few exits compared to some stations. Many stations would simply have an A. Off hands, only Sheppard-Yonge and Bloor-Yonge ever seem to confuse me. Well and Spadina ... but not because it has too many exits ... but that it's 350 metres from the main entrances to the one at Kendal ... which meant my walk underground north to Kendal from Line 2 to get to a location at the corner of Lowther and Spadina was a complete waste of time. I can't fathom why they didn't build an exit at Lowther and Spadina - isn't the tunnel right under the intersection?

Well, most stations have at least two/three exits, even having letter/numbering for those stations (A, B, C) would be much less cumbersome than referring to "College St, North Side, Yonge Street, West Side"

Well, most stations have at least two/three exits, even having letter/numbering for those stations (A, B, C) would be much less cumbersome than referring to "College St, North Side, Yonge Street, West Side"
Offhand, I can only think of a single station between Broadview and Victoria Park with 2 exits - let alone 3.

And I don't think at 3, you need numbers. When I'm standing in the mezzanine, I want to see College north side, Yonge west side. Not 1, 2, 3, 4 ... what the heck does that tell me?

Sure, it's bloody useful in a station with 7 exits, where you have to follow many signs to get to exit 7. But other than Yonge-Bloor and Yonge-Sheppard, this isn't a problem in Toronto.

The numbers are particularly useful when there are 2 to 3 directions to go, and you need a sign to explain quickly how to go 7 different places. Our stations are much simpler. Maybe this would be useful at 2 or 3 of our stations. But it's entirely unnecessary, and probably would create more confusion than it would solve at most of our stations.

Last edited:

I think a map of the immediate surrounding area would do wonders rather than having a sign saying "Yonge Street West Side College Street North Side". But that's something the city's working on, adding maps and wayfinding for the downtown area.

Disagree, here are some icons I made a while back. I think the current pictogram GO is using for their trains is better than mine though, I hadn't seen it at the time I made these.
9YCD3oH.png
Nice job!

Anyone know when the new signs will go up at more stations?

The TTC is in the process of installing our new signs at St. George Station. Say goodbye to the Paul Arthur signage :(

I apologize for the poor quality. I took these images with my potato.

fudoSbN.jpg

jwceCCw.jpg

x07ZcPp.jpg

LspGc9c.jpg

lkimbr7.jpg

fpQhUew.jpg

cmtMKe9.jpg

Ayv4spK.jpg

qKV3hIV.jpg

Given that this signage appears to actually be happening (much sooner than I initially anticipated, to be honest), I hope that GO would adopt a similar signage system when electrification comes in, but using letters instead of numbers. That way it could be easily distinguishable between local and regional rapid transit.

The TTC is in the process of installing our new signs at St. George Station. Say goodbye to the Paul Arthur signage :(

I'll miss the whimsy of the icons, but it seems like the TTC is actually getting its act together on signage for the subway lines.

I'll miss the whimsy of the icons, but it seems like the TTC is actually getting its act together on signage for the subway lines.

They have a long way to go yet, although I was fairly pleased with the new signs at Union. There are still inconsistencies between signs and far too much text and unnecessary icons, but they're getting there.

Given that this signage appears to actually be happening (much sooner than I initially anticipated, to be honest), I hope that GO would adopt a similar signage system when electrification comes in, but using letters instead of numbers. That way it could be easily distinguishable between local and regional rapid transit.

Great idea. Overall I'm really liking the new signage, clear, simple, easy to understand.

Actually thought of another thing that's bothering me. They are supposed to use the new ISO exit signs in all new construction as required by the Ontario building code, why do they have the old red "EXIT" signs in the Union reno?

Back