News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Okay, these Sheppard advocates need to STFU. This issue is dead.

I see these stubborn f*ckers post all over The Sun, doing nothing but stifle progress and intelligent debate. If they don't want the SELRT, then so be it. They gambled, now should they get nothing. Maybe some artics.

Stop the insanity, get a grip on reality, don't lump transit issues as Left vs Right, and pull your heads out of your asses.

Signed,

a person who gives a shit about several $Billion

Did anybody else click through the links for background on Ron Banerjee? Personally, I believe in free speech and am against hate-crime laws because they can be used to stifle legimate public debate. But as long as such laws are on the books and being enforced against some people, they ought to be enforced unformly, and I cannot imagine how Banerjee* has gotten away from them unscathed. How anyone with mainstream political ambitions would ever allow Banerjee* within shouting distance is a mystery.

*if the quotes attributed to him are true
While some of the comments could be argued at being reverse racism, they are far from hate speech. As I posted earlier in the the Transit City thread, we should use light rail examples from the developing world when trying to explain Transit City, as many people who live in Scarborough come from there.

While some of the comments could be argued at being reverse racism, they are far from hate speech.

I disagree. According to the SCC, hate propaganda denotes any expression that is "intended or likely to circulate extreme feelings of opprobrium and enmity against a racial or religious group". I think the following would fit squarely within that definition:

• "How do you know when a Muslim is lying? When his lips are moving."
  • "The truth of the matter is, because of the nature of Islam, in it’s entire history, Islam — the Islamic civilization — has invented and has contributed less to human advancement than a pack of donkeys. [laughs] That’s the truth."
  • "It is an insult to Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and others, to call Islam — to refer to Islam — as a religion."
All of the foregoing are attributed to Ron Banerjee. Again, I don't agree with our hate speech laws, but they exist and should be enforced uniformly.

Not sure if this was posted already, but apparently the mayor is scaring centrists ahead of the vote by handing out photos of crashes involving light rail vehicles. (link)

Fortunately, pro-LRT supporters won't be that silly to respond with images of Russell Hill or the number of accidents in the Tube. Or if we're using petty scare tactics, we could say subways are tools for suicides (until ATO + barriers roll in). But that's neither here nor there.

Last edited:
Councillor Ron Moser has sent a letter to the other councillors indicating that he has decided to support the LRT plan, however due to surgery he is unable to attend the vote.

http://www.karenstintz.com/?p=1772

It also contains some cost and timeline information that he sought from the TTC.

I disagree. According to the SCC, hate propaganda denotes any expression that is "intended or likely to circulate extreme feelings of opprobrium and enmity against a racial or religious group". I think the following would fit squarely within that definition:

• "How do you know when a Muslim is lying? When his lips are moving."
  • "The truth of the matter is, because of the nature of Islam, in it’s entire history, Islam — the Islamic civilization — has invented and has contributed less to human advancement than a pack of donkeys. [laughs] That’s the truth."
  • "It is an insult to Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and others, to call Islam — to refer to Islam — as a religion."
All of the foregoing are attributed to Ron Banerjee. Again, I don't agree with our hate speech laws, but they exist and should be enforced uniformly.

Just clicked the link with the quotes, thought you were referring to the post that was linked to. I still think pursuing hate speech charges over the remarks is harsh, but his antics should squeeze any little credibility he may have. If I were a member of the Hindu community, I would be looking to expel him from his position in the Canadian Hindu Advocacy, as his views don't represent mainstream Hindus (I assume/hope).

Just did some Googling on the topic, it appears the CHA may be less established as an organization than your average Facebook group:

http://bigcitylib.blogspot.ca/2011/07/meet-canadian-hindu-advocacy.html
http://www.canhindu.com/ (1995 called, it wants its homepage back)

Councillor Ron Moser has sent a letter to the other councillors indicating that he has decided to support the LRT plan, however due to surgery he is unable to attend the vote.

http://www.karenstintz.com/?p=1772

It also contains some cost and timeline information that he sought from the TTC.

So will this count as a vote in favour, or despite this letter does he still forfeit his vote because he could not attend?

I wouldn't try to shoot down an individuals proposals on transit because of his other political views, since one has nothing to do with the other. Also, as has been noted many of those quotations are unconfirmed, and I can see how a blog named 'big city lib' would try to trash their conservative opponent.

I wouldn't try to shoot down an individuals proposals on transit because of his other political views, since one has nothing to do with the other.

Really? Funny you should say that after making the point that not building Sheppard is "racist", and the liberal use of lefty, latte sippers, union and other politically loaded terms in said blog. I haven't even begin ripping into wild claims like tracks for LRTs will have to be rebuilt 3x a decade.

AoD

Last edited:
Really? Funny you should say that after making the point that not building Sheppard is "racist", and the liberal use of lefty, latte sippers, union and other politically loaded terms in said blog. I haven't even begin ripping into wild claims like tracks for LRTs will have to be rebuilt 3x a decade.

AoD

Really dude? Really? You can't tell the difference between racism which may be directly affecting LRT versus subway in Scarborough, versus unattributed comments on a totally unrelated matter?

Tell me how those two are precisely the same.

You are quite right it isn't exactly the same - on one hand, we have what you are proposing - a multi-year "conspiracy" that see planners and other professionals consciously depriving visible minorities of transit opportunities (never mind that they are everywhere on transit, but I digress) on the basis of their race while the owner of said blog make wild claims on transit matters that bears no resemblance to reality; on the other, a series of quotes by said individual - the workings of which has been reported in mainstream media of the clearly points to a pattern of extremism, bias and dare I say racism. And we are suppose to put that aside and assume his accusation of systematic racism in transit planning is true? Really? Have you heard of something called credibility before? Not to mention irony and hypocrisy.

And BTW, how many times have you posted those blog postings on this forum again? If I was less generous, I'd say you're spamming and trolling.

AoD

Last edited:

Back