News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There will be tail tracks on the other end of Downsview too.
Not necessarily. One proposal was to simply run it as a branch of the Spadina line.

But even if you put in a tail track ... would you really put in the 750 metre track currently from Yonge to west of Welbeck?

Yep, the reason the tunnel runs to welbeck is to act as a mini-yard to store 2 or 3 trains. The tail track at Downsview (soon to be Sheppard west) would likely not be longer than 200 metres, especially if there is a transfer track onto the spadina line, which would allow for access to the HUGE Wilson yard.

Not sure about the actual cost, but it's been brought up numerous times as a reason. I did read somewhere the Sheppard/Leslie bridge and Sheppard-Yonge reconstruction used up a good part of the ~$900m. The bright side of building a bridge at West Don vs. Sheppard/Leslie is there won't be a need to build the "concrete casing" for flood protection.

According to MRC, the design consultant (http://www.canadianconsultingengineer.com/news/civil-sheppard-subway-don-river-bridge/1000115375/)

Despite difficult foundation conditions, a volatile flood-prone river and a compact site adjacent to one of Toronto's busiest intersections, the construction of the Don River Bridge was completed on the $15 million budget and almost a year ahead of schedule. Strict environmental controls on in-stream river works were respected, as were noise and access issues relative to the adjacent hospital and college.

As it is said above, the West Don Crossing would be much simpler than this, and even this was not that much.

I don't see why the old town centres concept has to be abandoned to make this subway viable. And plus outside the old city of Toronto it's too car and big box store centric which doesn't bode well when the GTA population is expected to significantly increase.

For gosh sakes, if he is going to push for a subway to Scarborough at least he could push for it being a Danforth extension to Scarborough Centre. At least the ridership would be greater on that route and some councillors who do not support the Sheppard extension have shown some acceptance of a Danforth extension. Is he is really just hellbent on not accomplishing anything at all?

For gosh sakes, if he is going to push for a subway to Scarborough at least he could push for it being a Danforth extension to Scarborough Centre. At least the ridership would be greater on that route and some councillors who do not support the Sheppard extension have shown some acceptance of a Danforth extension. Is he is really just hellbent on not accomplishing anything at all?

He's 100% anti-transit, so I'm going to say yes.

Completing the Sheppard Subway is a dumb idea. It would make far more sense to spend $1 billion on an east-west LRT line that has no connection to the Yonge subway line.

I don't understand why Ford wouldn't push a Scarborough subway that makes sense, like the B-D extension to STC. Especially with the SRT needing to be closed for years.

I don't understand why Ford wouldn't push a Scarborough subway that makes sense, like the B-D extension to STC. Especially with the SRT needing to be closed for years.

Stintz had that idea (in the press at least). Ford cannot under any circumstances agree with Stintz; especially if it might get approval from council thus requiring the expenditure of city money.

Back