News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

OK....but that wasn't the option they went with when they started construction. It was just "an option."

Even so, my point wasn't just about whether you can leave a TBM in a tunnel indefinitely but the logistics of building something so huge in fits and starts when you happen to have a few bucks. It seems like the sort of thing where you either do it or you don't. Isn't that the whole problem with the Sheppard subway already?

Anyway you slice it, this is like Lando Calrissian's deal with Darth Vader: it's getting worse all the time.

Although I think that expanding the Sheppard subway is pretty low on our priority list, other cities seem to manage fine with extending subway lines one station at a time over many years. Surely we can do it too - in fact, we did fairly recently when we extended the Y-U-S one station from Wilson to Downsview, and the B-D one station from Warden to Kennedy.

TJ O'Porteroot is correct that it's asinine to have a dedicated TBM sit below Sheppard, inching its way east as money comes available, but maybe we can go back to cut and cover.

All I want is for that ridiculous transfer at Don Mills to be something of the past...subway or LRT, I'll support it if gets rid of the transfer.
As both the Transit City and the Rob Ford Memorial Gravy Train lines eliminate that ridiculous transfer at Don Mills, surely we should go for the cheaper option, which will add amost 30 rapid transit stations, instead of 1 or 2.

would you be ok with the entire line being lrt which went underground at vic park until yonge via conversion of the sheppard stubway? or is that a stupid one?

sorry but a study already stated that converting the subway to LRT would be more expensive...so bad idea

Last edited:
sorry but a study already stated that converting the subway to LRT would be more expensive...so bad idea

But if it is about cost then extending the subway is a bad idea... that is more expensive. Obviously replacing the subway with LRT is more expensive than leaving it as it is, and planning subway east of Don Mills is more expensive than planning surface LRT east of Don Mills. Everything other than the "do nothing" option is more expensive than doing nothing. The only metric that can be put as highest priority and skew evaluations in favour of subway is capacity. If the need for that capacity isn't there then the need for subway isn't there.

Spending $670 million to convert subway to LRT and eliminate just one transfer is hardly a good idea by any standards.

Spending $670 million to convert subway to LRT and eliminate just one transfer is hardly a good idea by any standards.

Agreed.

Sheppard was never a priority for me, but I'm fine with one station at a time. Sure it's not cost-effective. Sure it may stump the line for decades to come (re: Kipling). But at least it's a step in the right direction. Same can't be said for LRT on Sheppard.

As both the Transit City and the Rob Ford Memorial Gravy Train lines eliminate that ridiculous transfer at Don Mills, surely we should go for the cheaper option, which will add amost 30 rapid transit stations, instead of 1 or 2.

I'm quite leaning towards this, yes.

Particularly when so few people are using it already.
So few people when comparing to the YUS and BD lines. So few people in according to TTC's and some people's standards of "so few people".

Its a lot cheaper than spending 4B on the continuation of the Sheppard subway
That's comparing apples to oranges. Spending $670million won't give you the same quality of transit as spending the $4B. (Not suggesting those $4B are the wisest use of funds at the moment) Besides, $670m is only the HRT to LRT conversion pricetag.

So few people when comparing to the YUS and BD lines. So few people in according to TTC's and some people's standards of "so few people".

If the Sheppard was a full 6 car line, the lack of ridership would be even more evident.

Back