News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Victoria Park Station

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...ivers-more-bang-for-the-8-2-billion-buck?bn=1

f74aad444aa080529a47f60d8073.jpg

People can correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was a study (RTES) that said an extension to Victoria Park was justified

People can correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was a study (RTES) that said an extension to Victoria Park was justified

There are benefits to it but there is no way is is worth spending $1 Billion on and there are much more effective ways to spend that money.

There are benefits to it but there is no way is is worth spending $1 Billion on and there are much more effective ways to spend that money.

Ugh. What is ever worth spending $1 billion on? I would argue that spending a billion on diamond lanes throughout the city and refurbishment and expansion of the TTC bus fleet would accomplish more than spending $1 billion on an LRT for one corridor. So should we exclude higher order transit expansion till there's diamond lanes and 5 minute frequencies on every major avenue in Toronto?

Ugh. What is ever worth spending $1 billion on? I would argue that spending a billion on diamond lanes throughout the city and refurbishment and expansion of the TTC bus fleet would accomplish more than spending $1 billion on an LRT for one corridor. So should we exclude higher order transit expansion till there's diamond lanes and 5 minute frequencies on every major avenue in Toronto?

I would be in favour of that actually.

Diamond lanes and high frequency bus routes for TTC.
High capacity frequent electrified surface train lines from GO (to downtown).
High capacity BRT along highway 407 and Highway 401 for cross city transportation (mixed TTC, YRT, and GO).

A large portion of TTC budget increases have been to figur congestion (maintain same service level with individual vehicles moving slower). The diamond lane plan would significantly help the operating budget too.

No it should not be excluded, it should be planned and build where it is necessary and in the appropriate form. If a network of diamond lanes will accomplish more than a LRT line on one corridor then it would definitely be more useful than spending the same amount of money adding only two subway stops to the same corridor.

I would be in favour of that actually.

Diamond lanes and high frequency bus routes for TTC.
High capacity frequent electrified surface train lines from GO (to downtown).
High capacity BRT along highway 407 and Highway 401 for cross city transportation (mixed TTC, YRT, and GO).

A large portion of TTC budget increases have been to figur congestion (maintain same service level with individual vehicles moving slower). The diamond lane plan would significantly help the operating budget too.

And this is why I've long held that the TTC needs to be split up. Leave the city to pay for and run the bus and streetcar operation. Handover the subway and suburban LRT network to GO. And focus on full integration with the GO rail network. They should be aiming for connections. Like getting Sheppard till Agincourt. Or Crosstown at Summerhill. Etc. It would also allow for the implementation of a pay by distance fare system on the rail network.

No it should not be excluded, it should be planned and build where it is necessary and in the appropriate form. If a network of diamond lanes will accomplish more than a LRT line on one corridor then it would definitely be more useful than spending the same amount of money adding only two subway stops to the same corridor.

Agreed. So why complain only about one possible employment of said billion dollars?

I'm still not clear on the justification surrounding an extension of the Sheppard line to Vic park.

For a price tag of $1 billion what possible benefit will that have? What will the increased ridership be? I understand that the Consumer rd block has potential to be built up further, but does the potential spin off justify the near term cost of extending the subway that way?

To me this sounds like Ford is banking on the fact that if he can secure $1 billion to save face on that election promise, he thinks he may have a shot of securing SOME private funding to extend the line. I highly doubt however a $1b in public funding will be enough to guarantee private partnership. Seems to me that spending a bit on extending that line is really a waste if you can't secure all the funds to finish it from Downsview to Scarborough town..

Also are there any figures of what an LRT line on Finch will do with respect to ridership, property value, economic spin offs, the rezoning of properties along the route to make way for higher density, etc?

Last edited:
As much of a waste as an LRT line that shaved only a few minutes off the bus ride for most Sheppard East bus patrons.

You can keep saying that as much as you want, it does not mean that it is true. The time saved is more than just a few minutes, assuming of course that a bus rider would even be able to board the bus, since as you know but chose to ignore LRT will be required to handle expected rider ship demand. Never mind the fact that the SRT would have been extended to meet Sheppard.

Back