News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Kipling: Sorry 70s fans, the orange has to go. Also the stairs to the south parking lots aren't very safe--a lot of cracked tiles last time I was there.

Islington: Mentioned previously, but with a focus on the concourse. The platform levels would benefit from a tidying, particularly the eastbound track wall, which is open to the elements in one section.

Dundas: Lose the highlighter-yellow tiles. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Osgoode and St Patrick: Redesign the guts out of them please, but not the designs proposed. Tone them down a bit so they don't contrast so starkly with the other stations. They can be tastefully redone and still look contemporary.

Museum: Finish the job already started. New floors, new ceilings, finished panelling on the trackside walls, and do something about the concourse so it blends. While you're at it, spruce up what's already been done so it doesn't look so half-assed.

St George: More platforms. In heavy traffic you're taking your life in your hands walking along that platform. Same goes for Union (though they're slowly working on it); busy stations should not have narrow centre platforms.

Spadina: Find another way to eliminate the ten-mile hike from B-D to U-S and Spadina car platforms. The moving walkway was breakdown-prone and slow as treacle, so that's no good.

All stations: Pick a style and stick with it!!! There are far too many stations that have two or three different styles throughout, and it's not a good look. Some of the designs may be ugly as sin, but at least they'll be uniformly ugly if they're used throughout.

Last edited:
Some dynamite would improve Wilson Station - and Rosedale, Kipling (which is really functional) and Queen's Park were mentioned first? Never mind Christie (nothing that wrong with it) or North York Centre (which is new and has elevators and some art).

Try to make Wilson accessible! I'd start with the (multiple) bus terminals - bulldoze the entire bus area and rebuild it one one level, and level to the at-grade fare/washroom/lotto kiosk level.

Some dynamite would improve Wilson Station - and Rosedale, Kipling (which is really functional) and Queen's Park were mentioned first? Never mind Christie (nothing that wrong with it) or North York Centre (which is new and has elevators and some art).

Try to make Wilson accessible! I'd start with the (multiple) bus terminals - bulldoze the entire bus area and rebuild it one one level, and level to the at-grade fare/washroom/lotto kiosk level.

You are clearly about Wilson - a busy bus terminal/station with Dufferin bus route connection! Then again, add Yorkdale and Warden as well, they need both accessible features.

Can't agree with your comment about Kipling - Kipling really lacks accessibility options from GO to TTC, not to mention the stairwell that is previously mentioned. Also, a barrier-free access from park-n-ride to the station booth is needed (the existing elevator won't do justice), and this is where most commuters use after rush hour.

I can however recant North York Centre, which now has some upgrades (last ride I had was 4 months ago, and I heard nothing about the updates there, no elevators, nada).

Christie is getting old, and could use minor facelift but that is it for now; my only recommendation in addition was to that is adding east entrance from Clinton (from Bloor st. b/w Christie and Euclid, this is long trip, and there is no direct access to the station. I occasionally shopped around Bloor on east side of Christie, and it takes me 10~15 minutes from Euclid to Christie Station on a busy day.)

Last edited:
Ugh - pretty much everything on the Bloor-Danforth line and on the Spadina line north of Eglinton West. The Yonge and University lines always seem to be better maintained for some reason (richer neighbourhoods?)

Ugh - pretty much everything on the Bloor-Danforth line and on the Spadina line north of Eglinton West. The Yonge and University lines always seem to be better maintained for some reason (richer neighbourhoods?)

What about St. Patrick, and Union? Until any upgrades take place, it would only get worse! Downsview is well maintained, that contradicts your comment.

Hows about we bring back the Arc en Ciel? (Yorkdale Rainbow) This could probably be installed and run more cost effectively with today's LED technology
HA00.jpg

Hows about we bring back the Arc en Ciel? (Yorkdale Rainbow) This could probably be installed and run more cost effectively with today's LED technology
HA00.jpg

Phenomenal idea, in Canada!

Its too bad that Giambrone hasn't even thought of this, still to this day.

Oh, did you photoshop this?

If I am not mistaken, that was back when the Arc en Ciel was still installed (before the artist requested it be removed), so I don't think that pic is photoshopped, lol.

Great proposal, andomano.

I have to agree with scrapping the neon/highlighter yellow colours at Dundas.

I would also love see the arc en ciel re-installed! Didn't the artist say he'd love to do it again? Advocate group anyone?

Finch needs a major overhaul of its mezzanine level plus it badly needs to have some entrances added to the south side of Finch.

What about St. Patrick, and Union? Until any upgrades take place, it would only get worse! Downsview is well maintained, that contradicts your comment.

At least when it comes to the platform level, what's the matter with St Patrick--or Queen's Park, for that matter? As the rare "tube-type" stations in town, IMO they'd merit restoration rather than transformation...

Original 1954 subway (with the exception of Bloor/Eglinton)
What were they thinking when they renovated these stations in the 80s? I can't believe we got rid of glistening vitrolite for that crap.

Terrazo Flooring
Stop using white/grey terrazo flooring. The smallest stain is clearly visible on a white floor. I prefer the black material that Montreal uses in its new stations.

Original 1954 subway (with the exception of Bloor/Eglinton)
What were they thinking when they renovated these stations in the 80s? I can't believe we got rid of glistening vitrolite for that crap.

It was a cost-effective move for the TTC. True, vitrolite is beautiful, but because it is basically glass, it is also much more fragile, plus it is much more expensive than cheaper and more durable material, which the TTC went for when they did not maintain the vitrolite's condition. Figures, eh...

And, face facts--that was a moment when the vitrolite aesthetic was still deemed in some circles a dated and depressing old crock, symbiotic with Gloucester-car stink and all. It wasn't like there was the cultural infrastructure to replace it with "TTC font vitrolitesque" a la what's now evident at St Andrew...

One exception is Dupont, which somehow despite the horrible agings, I think that it is one of the "brightest" stations in YUS line.
"Horrible aging"?!

I'm only 24 and I think that station is the damn best looking thing the TTC has going on underground.

Back