News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Wilson station should sell off or lease its unused north bus platform property. Maybe a multi-use building in its place would be better than just letting it sit empty. Its been there like that since the extension to the Downsview station opened in 1996.

Wilson station should sell off or lease its unused north bus platform property. Maybe a multi-use building in its place would be better than just letting it sit empty. Its been there like that since the extension to the Downsview station opened in 1996.

Shouldn't all parking lots and its unused properties be sold or develop on its own and operate like MTR?

More stations to mention then:
Islington, Kipling, Kennedy, Victoria Park, York Mills, Eglinton West, Warden, Finch, Lawrence East, Downsview, Keele, Leslie, Don Mills, Ellesmere and Yorkdale (not owned by TTC, but is still fugly.)

"Horrible aging"?!

I'm only 24 and I think that station is the damn best looking thing the TTC has going on underground.

It is unique as decor goes; could still do with a bit of a scrubbing to remove the last few layers of Toronto. Then again, so could all of them, especially along the cracks in the walls. Water drips down those and makes a horrible mess.

There was plans for Islington station at this link, but the link just goes to the main site now. With SNC-Lavalin backing out of the deal to build on the land at Islington station, maybe the renovations are no longer happening?

Last edited:

While it is a great idea to sell off properties for revenue, I doubt that anyone would want the property under the north bus platform. It's wedged between a highway, a busy bus terminal and a massive bus/subway garage, and is situated on an unpleasant access road. Not to mention that it's off the end of the runway at Downsview Airport.

If the land is used for anything, it could be a park and ride lot.

Another note about Warden Station

In my previous post I talked about the seperated bus bays and how I hope they get rid of them at Warden Station and any station that still has them. If Warden Station does get the modernization treatement and gets a common shared bus platform for all the routes that use this station I hope that they are able to incorporate the present bus exit and entrances that it presently has. I think this design of Warden Station is really well designed and they should keep them- two entrances and one exit for buses.

One other thing Warden Station could use are some elavators to the subway platform from the concourse and an elavator from the concourse to the new island type of bus platform.

While it is a great idea to sell off properties for revenue, I doubt that anyone would want the property under the north bus platform. It's wedged between a highway, a busy bus terminal and a massive bus/subway garage, and is situated on an unpleasant access road. Not to mention that it's off the end of the runway at Downsview Airport.

If the land is used for anything, it could be a park and ride lot.

If there were washroom facilities, it could be rented out to the ATU 113.

There are few washrooms on the entire subway network. There are washrooms at each station, but only for TTC personnel. Wonder if that includes the commissioners of the TTC?

Both immediately doable suggestions and radical ones

First of all, the significant stations in terms of design have to be restored. The 1978 stations of the Spadina line need some restoration work:

Yorkdale should see its stainless steel cladding replaced and a thorough cleaning of the concrete. The brilliant artwork by Michael Hayden should be rebuilt, with LEDs being a good idea to replace the more problematic neon lights.

Wilson could use full demolition; it's not architecturally significant and has numerous usability issues.

Glencairn should see its artwork redone as well: that cathedral-like motif of coloured glass by Rita Letendre called "Joy" restored to its giant skylight.

Dupont needs the grout of its tiles somehow cleaned for a more consistent look. Eglinton West's small plaza in front of the entrance needs to be repaved with something similar to the original.

Spadina's backlit platform signage has to be turned back on.

All Bloor-Danforth stations could use enhancements like artwork, more benches of an attractive and comfortable custom design, more variations in interior materials, some flowers in summer and landscaping, and high capacity bicycle storage systems because the lack of secure parking at stations discourages many from cycling to the station. Dundas West really needs a second entrance on the east side of Dundas, because the number of people who jaywalk even without any gap in traffic is quite high. It could also use a connection to the GO line.

More radically speaking, downtown Yonge stations would also be more pleasant with higher platform ceilings and wider platforms in general. This is more radical in that it would require lots of renovations, but they might be necessary one day because of nascent water or structural issues. Also, stations with side platforms would look better without centre pillars at platform level. I'd love to see St. Patrick get green titanium panels as kind of nod to Gehry's signature material.

All downtown stations should also get covered entrances and use the opportunity to implement some distinctive design on that end.

Many of the original Yonge line stations have been egregiously retiled. Dundas is my least favourite (with tiles the colour of my urine after I consume too much Vitamin C) but Queen is also a dog's breakfast and I am not too crazy about either College or King (at least the last one is in reasonable shape). The ugliest station is, unfortunately, the one that was recently remodeled: Museum. Words cannot express how much I hate that redesign. Instead of evoking the art of the ROM it reminds me of those "Trading Posts" that sell tacky "woodland" souvenirs by the side of country roads. If this kind of redesign is what we have to look forward to, maybe I'll settle for neon yellow tiles at Dundas.

but Queen is also a dog's breakfast
Though there, the retiling (which was later than the rest) was more like an inept attempt at "restoration"--if it were done a decade later, it might have been St Andrew-style neo-Vitrolite...

Back