News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

When I moved here to TO indirectly from Vancouver a few years ago I attended monthly TTC meetings (I wasn't working at the time because of a number of surgeries). At one meeting the head of the Piccadilly line in London was visiting and he spoke. He was visiting our system and was really impressed by the design of many of our stations. I too was amazed by many stations, where buses come into a fare paid area and you have all door exiting and boarding- I am from Montreal originally and lived most of my adult life in Vancouver and have never seen this type of design before- and I am really impressed by it. The TTC needs some major expansion but I hope they continue with this station design at many new station.

Also appreciate the accessibility of many stations. Hopefully Warden Station gets the treatment to make it accessible as well.

The little bus terminals at each subway station are one of the best things about the TTC. In general, the TTC's suburban bus service is excellent. There aren't too many places where you will get 10 minute service or better during weekends and evenings in single family suburban neighbourhoods.

Be glade for accessibility stations that we have. If you were in Paris or London, you are shit out luck trying to find one..

Yupp. Not that many stations have lifts. I was amazed by the number of "main" stations, near busy tourist spots and main rail stations that don't have lifts or any accessibility at all.

Also for many of the stations here you need to run a half marathon in order to transfer. Really makes me appreciate the layout of a lot of our stations.

Last edited:
Looks like Dupont has received LED lighting. I think it loses just a little bit of its character, but I guess the trade-off is we'll see less burnt out or uncovered lights. The mercury(?) lights remain at the section with the mosaics at platform level.

Not the LED'ng that's regrettable so much as the replacement of the plastic "bubbles" with flat covers...

Minor change at the Runnymede Station:

Changes are being made to allow buses to make a safer turn into the station driveway.

Each of the 71 Runnymede, 79 Scarlett Rd and 77 Swansea routes will move one bus bay further to the east.

Not the LED'ng that's regrettable so much as the replacement of the plastic "bubbles" with flat covers...

Ah! That's it.. I knew the covers were different but I couldn't put my finger on it.
I actually like the fact that it's much brighter at Dupont - it really brings out that mural and makes the mezzanine shine through the glass overlook.

Now, if they could only finish St. Andrew. :(

Yupp. Not that many stations have lifts. I was amazed by the number of "main" stations, near busy tourist spots and main rail stations that don't have lifts or any accessibility at all.

Also for many of the stations here you need to run a half marathon in order to transfer. Really makes me appreciate the layout of a lot of our stations.

Most of the "main" stations in London are old though, many from the age of steam... and the locals know where to transfer without a major hike so this is mostly a tourist problem. The bright spot of our system for most visiting Londoners is the fact that our system is air conditioned, while the entire Tube system is a heaving pool of shoulder-to-shoulder human sweat at rush hour at this time of year - man, I don't miss it! :)

Most of the "main" stations in London are old though, many from the age of steam... and the locals know where to transfer without a major hike so this is mostly a tourist problem. The bright spot of our system for most visiting Londoners is the fact that our system is air conditioned, while the entire Tube system is a heaving pool of shoulder-to-shoulder human sweat at rush hour at this time of year - man, I don't miss it! :)

Not entirely true. The Overground is air conditioned, and the new Circle/Hammersmith/District trains are air conditioned. You will of course get drenched if you try to transfer at Bank in July.

If Bank is possibly the worst transfers around, and the locals do not to transfer there, why when I have transferred at Bank in tourist season, are so many of of people in the corridors seem to be wearing suits and business attire? :)

Off hand, I can't think of a single transfer point in London as simple as St. George (unless perhaps you change from the Circle Line to the Hammersmith and City on the same platform :) ... and even Bloor-Yonge is ahead of many where you in the middle of a tunnel and seem to have stairwells up and over the tube tunnels.

Montreal has done it best at Lionel-Groulx and Snowdon ... though even Berri-UQAM has some good walking if you want to change from the Yellow line to the Orange line.

If Bank is possibly the worst transfers around, and the locals do not to transfer there, why when I have transferred at Bank in tourist season, are so many of of people in the corridors seem to be wearing suits and business attire? :)

Off hand, I can't think of a single transfer point in London as simple as St. George (unless perhaps you change from the Circle Line to the Hammersmith and City on the same platform :) ... and even Bloor-Yonge is ahead of many where you in the middle of a tunnel and seem to have stairwells up and over the tube tunnels.

Montreal has done it best at Lionel-Groulx and Snowdon ... though even Berri-UQAM has some good walking if you want to change from the Yellow line to the Orange line.

London has a number of cross-platform-interchange stations.

London has a number of cross-platform-interchange stations.
Off-hand, I can't think of any, other than between the sub-surface lines, which start to resemble a more traditional station with multiple platforms, and interconnected tracks. Nothing is jumping out at me that involves the deep level lines - though that's probably ignorance on my part ... I guess there are some between the branches of the Northern Line at a couple of points.

Off-hand, I can't think of any, other than between the sub-surface lines, which start to resemble a more traditional station with multiple platforms, and interconnected tracks. Nothing is jumping out at me that involves the deep level lines - though that's probably ignorance on my part ... I guess there are some between the branches of the Northern Line at a couple of points.

Off the top of my head (so forgive me if I make an error) including some National rail/LUL examples...

Finsbury Park, Highbury and Islington, Euston, Oxford Circus, Stockwell, Kennington (between the two Northern line branches), Mile End, Stratford, a few joint Piccadilly/District stations, Wembley Park.

There might be more. What's clear is that London certainly did it decades before Montreal did.

Tower Hill and Baker Street are like that off the very top of my head. At Oxford Circus the Victoria Line and Bakerloo Line are across from one another.

Tower Hill and Baker Street are like that off the very top of my head. At Oxford Circus the Victoria Line and Bakerloo Line are across from one another.
I was thinking deep level ... though I've changed at Oxford Circus and at a couple of CDL.TO's examples before ... doesn't stick in my mind I'm afraid ... perhaps I've just been making a change that can't be done across platform (my ignorance I believe). Though I can't recall seeing anything like Lionel-Groulx in London.

Not sure how Mile End can be between 2 deep level lines unless the District line does something there I'm not aware of - never been that way. There's plenty of examples between the sub-surface lines though ... but the only deep level ones I could think of were between Northern line branches at Kennington and Camden Town.

I was thinking deep level ... though I've changed at Oxford Circus and at a couple of CDL.TO's examples before ... doesn't stick in my mind I'm afraid ... perhaps I've just been making a change that can't be done across platform (my ignorance I believe). Though I can't recall seeing anything like Lionel-Groulx in London.

Not sure how Mile End can be between 2 deep level lines unless the District line does something there I'm not aware of - never been that way. There's plenty of examples between the sub-surface lines though ... but the only deep level ones I could think of were between Northern line branches at Kennington and Camden Town.

Pehaps rather than working on what "sticks in your mind" you could just go look it up?

Mile End offers a cross-platform interchange between Central (a deep-level line) and District/H+C (sub-surface lines).

Back