News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is the current status of the conversion to pantograph? which lines are still yet to be converted and what is the current schedule for completion?
503 and 504 are all that's left to convert now. There's some Kingston Road Overhead work scheduled for Jun - Oct, and since Queen & King are panto friendly to Bathurst I assume that's all that's left for 503. I don't know what work specific work is left for 504.

For the Rip Van Winkles among us...

From link. Dated December 17, 2021... (projecting to 2041)

I'm surprised they show the 508 going into Park Lawn station. I would have thought that it would make more sense as a quasi-express alternative to the 501 (and 507?) which do go into the station.

Here's what I mean:
Capture.JPG

In any case, the preliminary design would support my proposed service pattern anyway. The outer track would be for the 501 and the inner track for the 507. Each route has a separate unloading and loading platform.
Capture2.JPG

503 and 504 are all that's left to convert now. There's some Kingston Road Overhead work scheduled for Jun - Oct, and since Queen & King are panto friendly to Bathurst I assume that's all that's left for 503. I don't know what work specific work is left for 504.
Most of 504 is done downtown but a big block is QKR intersection (which will get new overhead once the track reopens) and I think they still need to finish Broadview, which is also getting new track. Not sure about Russell Carhouse but it was on the overhead list for last year and is probably connected to QKR . Last week they were working on Richmond @ Church and @ Victoria so are also working on the non-revenue routes. Of course, it was all supposed to be finished by the time Car #40 arrived and subsequent cars were not supposed to even have poles but .....

I'm surprised they show the 508 going into Park Lawn station. I would have thought that it would make more sense as a quasi-express alternative to the 501 (and 507?) which do go into the station.
I assume you are referring to the Transportation Brief? (below)

I wouldn't take a service pattern two decades into the future too seriously. Many things will change by then. The design provides flexibility for whatever TTC wants to do.

Besides, the most recent streetcar service plan I think we've seen from TTC shows either 503 or 504B service being extended to there. And then there's the 501A and 501B plans.

1648766479996.png

I assume you are referring to the Transportation Brief? (below)

I wouldn't take a service pattern two decades into the future too seriously. Many things will change by then. The design provides flexibility for whatever TTC wants to do.

Besides, the most recent streetcar service plan I think we've seen from TTC shows either 503 or 504B service being extended to there. And then there's the 501A and 501B plans.

Of course the exact service pattern is subject to change, but if you assume a given service pattern then your physical design may preclude other patterns. For example, if they assumed that just the 501 would pass through, they might have just provided a single platform on each track. Then if you tried to terminate routes there as I did in my service plan, it would create a backlog of streetcars as subsequent streetcars arrive before the previous streetcar has departed. (Or alternatively it creates extremely unreliable service along the 501 since there's inadequate recovery time at the terminals).

The point here is that they have included two tracks each with two platforms, which provides enough flexibility for a variety of service patterns.

Most of 504 is done downtown but a big block is QKR intersection (which will get new overhead once the track reopens) and I think they still need to finish Broadview, which is also getting new track. Not sure about Russell Carhouse but it was on the overhead list for last year and is probably connected to QKR . Last week they were working on Richmond @ Church and @ Victoria so are also working on the non-revenue routes. Of course, it was all supposed to be finished by the time Car #40 arrived and subsequent cars were not supposed to even have poles but .....
I don't see KQQR as blocking 504 since no cars are running west of Dufferin. Also, all the overhead at KQQR was taken down as part of construction, when cars return to the intersection everything there will be have to have been rebuilt.

Last time I was at Russell I though I saw that all overhead coming in and going out from Queen was upgraded. There was some work on Connaught as well as in the yard that remained (there's a sign telling them to use the trolley pole). I'd think operators could put up the panto in the yard before leaving if needed.

It is definitely done as far as Bathurst since 512 cars from Leslie/Russell use King to enter service. Cherry was built panto compatible. I assume the issue is somewhere between the Dufferin Gate Loop and Bathurst needing some work. All the special overhead for the intersections at King & Dufferin, King & Shaw as well as at Dufferin Gate Loop has been made pantograph compatible.

If I remember right, Dufferin to KQQR has to be replace. It currently has the hangers.

The overhead at Russell is suppose to be replace when they rebuilt the yard. Track 19-24 had no overhead when I last saw it with the new columns on the west side. The columns have fish plates on them with as many of 13 holes in each one to support the new overhead.

KQQR will be rebuilt to match the new street layout as well the new curve tracks.

The Queensway being rebuilt will see the same setup to match the existing section at Parkside as well for Sunnyside Loop.

Can't speak to the rest as been too long since I last looked at it or been in the area.

Until Roncesvalles is fix at the gate, 504 streetcars are out of service until the fall at this time. Have no idea if TTC has fix the platforms yet, but doesn't look like it has been. The 504 and 505 streetcars are out of service at Dundas West starting April 3 to rebuilt the loop and overhead.

If I remember right, Dufferin to KQQR has to be replace. It currently has the hangers.
From Streetview it appears that Dufferin south of King is all new overhead, including the entrance to the loop but they are planning to replace the rails in the Dufferin loop this summer so THAT may be another missing area. You are correct that King west of Dufferin still needs new overhead but I assume this will be done with the KQR work (though the track from Close to Strahan is up for renewal in 2023 so we may have to wait until then.) The ways of the TTC are quite mysterious!

From Streetview it appears that Dufferin south of King is all new overhead, including the entrance to the loop but they are planning to replace the rails in the Dufferin loop this summer so THAT may be another missing area. You are correct that King west of Dufferin still needs new overhead but I assume this will be done with the KQR work (though the track from Close to Strahan is up for renewal in 2023 so we may have to wait until then.) The ways of the TTC are quite mysterious!
2023!!!.....................Considering 2019 was the completion date.

The OS can be done first as it will not interfere with the track work at a later date. All the OS was to be done this year, but this is TTC doing what it wants when it wants that is not logic.

Been a King and Dufferin a number of times this, but haven't look at the OS in any direction.

Yes, though it may also now be delayed by the Ontario Line stuff as it is unclear (to me anyway) whether the work will block Victoria north of Queen.
Victoria will be close to TTC during OL work.

From what I saw today, Dufferin 100% pan ready as well King going east to Bathurst that I saw. Never look at Dufferin Loop. King going west only has a few hanger and needs to be replace 100%.

All TTC poles are up for KQQR as well mostly to Sunnyside Loop. No support for the loop. This will allow TTC to start string the intersection.

Reactions: max
I went to check out King myself between Bathurst and Dufferin and from Crawford to Niagara, the hangers are the older style. As well, there were a couple of those old signs for the 1993 priority scheme that ran from Dufferin to Parliament, I believe they hang low enough to interfere with pantographs. I expect these two factors are what keeps the 504 cars using poles.

Back