News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I've started using this website to track streetcars and buses, https://totransit.ca/. Just for sh#ts and giggles here's every streetcar and bus.

all.jpg

Last edited:
I've started using this website to track streetcars and buses, https://totransit.ca/.
I love that one - especially while out travelling. It's much easier to see the off-route vehicles, and ones that have been sitting for a long time. I normally have a handful of routes I use regularly on - like 306 and 506. It's VERY useful when there's daytime streetcars running as 306 - which you can't track otherwise.

Today I was using it to see it if would be successful in changing buses at an intersection.

I love that one - especially while out travelling. It's much easier to see the off-route vehicles, and ones that have been sitting for a long time. I normally have a handful of routes I use regularly on - like 306 and 506. It's VERY useful when there's daytime streetcars running as 306 - which you can't track otherwise.

Today I was using it to see it if would be successful in changing buses at an intersection.
Very useful given the current state of the 88 due Moore Avenue storm sewer failure related diversion.

Not sure where to put this but here seems most appropriate to, start with.

I am in Helsinki for a few days, the weather is gorgeous, and I have some time of my own. Usually I am here in winter, it’s cold ,frigid, dark and snowy. This Helsinki is a bit of a revelation. So a few observations.

The tram/streetcar line in front of my hotel leading into the downtown area is being upgraded ( some photos for Drums benefit) so my easy way of getting around is negated, and I have not figured out the myriad buses moving around town as yet.

The tram/streetcar network is extensive and frequent. And has transit priority at most intersection signals that I have seen. And all without causing convulsions with the car driver..and the transit speed is quicker and smoother with that priority.

The gauge is narrower than Toronto I think. Perhaps tighter turns in some areas or perhaps just historical precedence. No matter, all the rolling stock, excepting some very special cars, are articulated three car units,

Separated bike lanes are virtually non-existent as we see them in Toronto. In the outer areas, there is a proficiency of bike trails (walking also I imagine) that cross major roads and highways by bridges and tunnel, but rarely share the same street surface. In the more inner city areas, even where the streets are quite wide, bike lanes are not seen on the street, they are curb side additions, adjacent or nearly adjacent to the sidewalks, however cross walks abound and these are an automatic yield to pedestrians.

There are mobility bikes. But they do not seem as numerous then in Toronto or Montreal. And there just appeared to be less people on two wheels.

Although Helsinki is a metropolitan area approaching 1.25 million people, the track,van and car traffic is night and day compared to Toronto. Yes there are cars, and on street parking etc. etc. but the volumes are much lighter. Societal acceptance, intervention, cost I believe.

Marcus Gee wrote an opinion piece recently in the G and M, comparing Toronto to almost any European city, and not favourably, beginning with the drive in from the airport. Well after seeing the approaches into the city from the airport here, I totally concur. Night and day. Imagination, upkeep, even some landscaping vs the 427/Gardiner route - no comparison at any level and the Uber/taxi driver wheels a clean, electric vehicle, playing classical chamber music over the car stereo, while not trying to upsell me on his relations local business. Startling. And the comparisons run in Helsinkis favour in other areas of care and upkeep, whether
IMG_0036.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg
it be streets or green space.

And the special tram cars….only in red? Travelling pub cars, hired out for events, very snazzy inside, so touring the city while the gent behind the bar pulls a lovely
IMG_0049.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_0037.jpeg
fresh local brew! How civilized is that? And sorry, only one fleeting partial photo of the pub car, so far.

IMG_0043.jpeg
IMG_0043.jpeg

Toronto and many Canadian cities had extensive streetcar/interurban lines. Sadly, most were ripped up in favour of the car. The Transit City plans are an attempt at changing that.

And look at the huge gap on the 501 in the west end. Not a single car between Long Branch and Parkside.

View attachment 564256
As someone who used to take this line often, waiting 30 mins for a 10 min service and the fact that 20% of the line closes every six months turned off a lot of people from relying on the streetcar.

As someone who used to take this line often, waiting 30 mins for a 10 min service and the fact that 20% of the line closes every six months turned off a lot of people from relying on the streetcar.
I use a 504 and 510 last week at peak time and where were the riders?? It was off peak loading on every car that I saw.

In honour of @just east of the creek's venture into my homeland, I thought I'd crosspost this from CPTDB here:

Some recent goings on in Helsinki (Finland)...
9324190.jpg

Source

Left to right, heritage trams 339, 12 and 150 were secretively sent off to the scrapyard. 339 had been fully restored with private money in the early 2000s.

Then this happened,
9350436.jpg

Source

Car 9 now faces the same fate as those above, along with trailer 505, which can't be pulled by other cars. Someone apparently forgot to lock the door.

The TTC (Toronto) is not alone in not cherishing their heritage fleets.

On a positive note,
kapa_linjakartta_rgb_en-768x555.png
Source

A new eastern orbital tram line (13) is now in testing. It will form an important 4.5km (2.8mi) link between Helsinki's second biggest train station (Pasila), the metro/subway (Kalasatama), and a future light rail line (Nihti). Photos can be found here: 1 / 2.

This I found amusing - apparently the underground loop detectors used for tram signals can be so sensitive that a person standing above in steel safety shoes can activate a false "go" signal.

Ps. Enjoy my country @just east of the creek!! If you get a chance, take the train to my hometown Tampere for a more authentic experience. Bring me back some Hesburger ;)

Had to post this - do ya think that we could keep the wayfinding tidy and up to date? Queen and Brock Sts.
Pretty hard to keep abreast of all the detours, and kind of symbollic of how organised TTC’s streetcar operations are.

- Paul

View attachment 566451
With all the smartphone apps, how much more simple can it be? Heck, with social media, you should know reasonably quick what detours are in place.

Back