News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

With all the smartphone apps, how much more simple can it be? Heck, with social media, you should know reasonably quick what detours are in place.

LOL. Actually, Nextbus let me down today, I don't think it knows what routes are actually running right now any more than riders do.

- Paul

PS - I do think hard copy info is needed, not everybody can afford a smartphone - but one would expect a single most recent service statement, and a QR code to access info on line.

With all the smartphone apps, how much more simple can it be? Heck, with social media, you should know reasonably quick what detours are in place.
When the college streetcar took bay and dundas, google maps and nextbus told me to wait at carleton and yonge for a streetcar that wouldn't come for another month!

LOL. Actually, Nextbus let me down today, I don't think it knows what routes are actually running right now any more than riders do.

- Paul

PS - I do think hard copy info is needed, not everybody can afford a smartphone - but one would expect a single most recent service statement, and a QR code to access info on line.
I tend to use Google maps
I also think a hard copy should be posted.

When the college streetcar took bay and dundas, google maps and nextbus told me to wait at carleton and yonge for a streetcar that wouldn't come for another month!
lol. That's where social media works. Most transit agencies have accounts on all platforms or this reason.

When you open TransSee and see eight different branches for the 501, I wouldn't say getting one self acquainted with the service conditions is a simple task. I wonder for what possible reason they don't nix the 501B bus all together and run the 501 streetcar both ways via Church/Spadina/King. If you're coming from Humber and need to get to east of Broadview, you need to transfer three times!

1716576228013.png

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say someone in the streetcar department is a rare mileage foamer. King streetcar to Humber!!! Why!!!
1716576390142.gif

I tend to use Google maps
I also think a hard copy should be posted.

lol. That's where social media works. Most transit agencies have accounts on all platforms or this reason.
TBF I've had dozens of TTC service suspensions not show up on twitter or the website despite being stuck for 20+ mins

That would be great if Steve Munro were not regularly correcting TTC Social Media for posting incorrect detour info.

It’s really annoying to see the posts with old info overlaid by new. If you had time to put new posters up you should have had time to take the old down

That would be great if Steve Munro were not regularly correcting TTC Social Media for posting incorrect detour info.

It’s really annoying to see the posts with old info overlaid by new. If you had time to put new posters up you should have had time to take the old down
Clutter removal is a different department.

/S

Yeah,that is a problem. You would think they would have some sort of policy on that.

I was in Boston recently and noticed some bus stops with two-piece E-ink displays. One part had next stop information and the other had service information related to that stop. I thought it was an excellent use of technology, and something Toronto should strongly consider, even knowing that retrofitting thousands of stops is a long-term process (maybe we could start with the routes most prone to service diversions?)

Maybe the above idea wouldn’t work because of vandalism; I did notice far, far less homelessness and vandalism in Boston, and a far better quality and upkeep of public spaces than Toronto, so…

EDIT: at the end of the day, relying on individual employees to take pride in their work appears to be a fools errand in large organizations. Far better to automate (some) things and remove humans from the loop entirely.

I was in Boston recently and noticed some bus stops with two-piece E-ink displays. One part had next stop information and the other had service information related to that stop. I thought it was an excellent use of technology, and something Toronto should strongly consider, even knowing that retrofitting thousands of stops is a long-term process (maybe we could start with the routes most prone to service diversions?)

Maybe the above idea wouldn’t work because of vandalism; I did notice far, far less homelessness and vandalism in Boston, and a far better quality and upkeep of public spaces than Toronto, so…

EDIT: at the end of the day, relying on individual employees to take pride in their work appears to be a fools errand in large organizations. Far better to automate (some) things and remove humans from the loop entirely.
Unfortunately, automated systems do not maintain themselves. Those pesky humans will always be involved, even if only as servants to their electronic masters!

Once again, another worldly UT'er providing a great example of something in print.......but failing to show what he's talking about........... I shall fix.

Here's a link to the MBTA (Boston's Transit Authority) digital signage project:

From the above:

1716648071405.png

Great sign, but, quick skim of the service frequency may yet show the TTC has some nominal strengths...........

Now for the one over the subway entrance:

1716648205706.png

They also have this version:

1716648333676.png

Toronto vandalism is no worse than Boston, and other cities have digital signage, you can build it quite sturdy.

They do a surprisingly good job, only sucky thing about boston was no real shuttle services during suspensions

Back