News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To add 2 feet to the floor thinkness you either need to reduce the train height by the same or drop the floor down which will be pretty darn tricky since much of Toronto's subway system is below the watertable (see muck floods during Sheppard construction for just how difficult).
If I understood correctly, you're referring at the parts of the subway network that do not consist of the wooden railroad tie, right? Such as the stations for example?

Last edited:
I vote standard gauge the existing network. Expensive and no benefit other than matching the soon to be cancelled standard gauge Eglinton LRT.

I vote power washers.

IIRC, Environment Canada forced TTC to stop power washing many locations a decade ago due to the drainage/sewer configuration of the stations. TTC sewers are not treated and run-off into the lake or something like that.

IIRC, Environment Canada forced TTC to stop power washing many locations a decade ago due to the drainage/sewer configuration of the stations. TTC sewers are not treated and run-off into the lake or something like that.

See, I don't agree with this. Yes, power washers do use soap, but really, the run-off from the roads is FAR worse than a little soap in the water. Do it once a month, it's not going to kill the eco-system.

See, I don't agree with this. Yes, power washers do use soap, but really, the run-off from the roads is FAR worse than a little soap in the water. Do it once a month, it's not going to kill the eco-system.

Most road run-off water is treated in Toronto now and a good chunk of our water bills is going toward reconfiguration/storage tanks to treat the rest.

I'm not sure why TTC isn't using sumps to pump into the standard city grey-water system, but it seems they aren't.

Actually, lets cancel Sheppard LRT and spend the money on fixing TTC sewer system so we can powerwash again.

They can use pumps and tanks to catch the soapy water before it enters the drain. The equipment would then be hauled away by train. There might also be biodegradable solutions. I image there are a variety of options for power washing, though it may take some initial out-of-the-box thinking.

They can use pumps and tanks to catch the soapy water before it enters the drain. The equipment would then be hauled away by train. There might also be biodegradable solutions. I image there are a variety of options for power washing, though it may take some initial out-of-the-box thinking.

Out-of-the-box thinking by the TTC = ain't gonna happen. Unless you qualify "what the hell were they thinking?!" as 'out-of-the-box'.

Just a note on washing. The MoE ordered it stopped, not because of the cleaning solutions going in the drains, but because the break dust is toxic. It is also quite difficult to wash off with water. It's not like power-washing dirt on your car.

Last edited:
Just a note on washing. The MoE ordered it stopped, not because of the cleaning solutions going in the drains, but because the break dust is toxic. It is also quite difficult to wash off with water. It's not like power-washing dirt on your car.

If the break dust is toxic, isn't it just as dangerous to people when it's stuck to the walls everywhere? I mean I can see how when it would be airborne right after being washed off it would be a danger, but I would think that if they did it at night, when the subway was closed, that by the time it opened again in the morning it would have been ventilated enough.

Back