News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I hate the two street side bus stop I usually take 196B and it has to stop on Bathrust St. east side and another stop after 50m on Bathrust St. west side.

LOL. Does that mean every hospital in Toronto is within 90 meters from a transit stop? How many of St Mike's patients have trouble walking 90 meters (or 1 minute)?

Plus, what about those miserable people who have to take the subway to St Mike's hospital? They have to exit the subway from underground, walk to the exit, come all the way to the ground floor, and walk again to Queen/Victoria!

This "what about the hospital patients" logic is near moronic.

so much whining about everything. I am speechless that they can't do any teeny tiny thing to improve TTC.

I like Steve Munro's page, but he sometimes comes off as a old cranky man who just finds faults in everything.

I do believe that 300-400 m spacing is good, but then allow for cases to be made certain stops to be retained. If the hospital/community fights really hard for this stop to be maintained, then having one stop in front of a hospital is not the end of the world. Should really be exceptions to the rule though. If you can walk out of a hospital, you can walk 90 meters to get to a stop.

Plus, what about those miserable people who have to take the subway to St Mike's hospital? They have to exit the subway from underground, walk to the exit, come all the way to the ground floor, and walk again to Queen/Victoria!

This "what about the hospital patients" logic is near moronic.

so much whining about everything. I am speechless that they can't do any teeny tiny thing to improve TTC.

Are you kidding? Those poor people who make their way through the subway station and to the surface will likely transfer to the Queen car to take them over one stop to Victoria. From there they will have no problem making their way into and navigating the hospital.

But making them walk from Yonge St to the hospital one block over? That is barbaric!

I like Steve Munro's page, but he sometimes comes off as a old cranky man who just finds faults in everything.

I do believe that 300-400 m spacing is good, but then allow for cases to be made certain stops to be retained. If the hospital/community fights really hard for this stop to be maintained, then having one stop in front of a hospital is not the end of the world. Should really be exceptions to the rule though. If you can walk out of a hospital, you can walk 90 meters to get to a stop.

Somehow I believe if you're injured enough to not be able to walk 90m to board public transit, chances are you're either taking Wheel trans, a taxi, or getting a ride from a family member/ friend. In other words I doubt most impaired patients would be using transit. I imagine the largest ridership would be hospital workers and people going in for test and checkups. The Queen Streetcar is a transit line, it's not a door to door shuttle service. People need to realize this and realize that this is precisely the reason why Taxis and Wheel trans exist (to cater to these users).

lol. I don't agree with him on this issue, but it's understandable that he's cranky after debating the same topics for 30 years.

Imagine how many streetcars vs buses or subway vs LRT or elevated LRT vs at grade LRT or BRT vs LRT arguments he's had.

It's about a 230m walk from the front doors of Sick Kids to the nearest surface stop at Bay and Gerrard.

I think the meaning of this is clear. If you support keeping the Victoria St stop on Queen but don't support re-routing the Bay St bus to stop at the front doors of Sick Kids, then obviously you HATE sick children.

How could you do such a thing? Making them walk like that.

It's about a 230m walk from the front doors of Sick Kids to the nearest surface stop at Bay and Gerrard.

But there is the 5C Avenue Road bus, but it practically useless as it only goes south of College Street between 9:20 and 14:50, 5 days a week. That's not enough time to make many medical appointments, and only goes to/from the north (there's also the double fare 142, but that's even more useless). The 6 and the 506 are the closest regular transit routes.

The biggest barrier right now, the steep steps up and down the streetcar, are going to disappear. I'm getting a little tired about the "won't someone PLEASE think of the accessibility/disabled/sick" argument especially when it comes to Victoria Street.

Does anybody know when the Victoria stop was added? It's a holdover from when Victoria had streetcar service right?

Also, doesn't King still have a Victoria Street stop? It does seem a little odd to have one at King & Victoria and not one at Queen & Victoria.

I expect most of the problem is this is occurring under Ford's half-watch. It looks like a lot like a cost cutting exercise even though it's being advertised as an improvement to service. It's not unlike improFord's recent improvements toving library service by reducing the hours they are open.

I'm in favour of the TTCs plan but the optics are pretty bad.

Last edited:
If a streetcar has to do a short-turn at Victoria Street, just add a "limited-service" (or a "discharging only") stop on Victoria Street itself to discharge passengers, if they didn't discharge one stop before.

If a streetcar has to do a short-turn at Victoria Street, just add a "limited-service" (or a "discharging only") stop on Victoria Street itself to discharge passengers, if they didn't discharge one stop before.

I've never seen a westbound streetcar short turn via Victoria Street. If they have to short-turn in the west direction, odds are it will be at least as far as McCaul, but Bathurst (Wolseley Loop), Shaw and Roncesvalles are usually favoured as the westbound short-turn locations. Queen Cars are generally diverted via King rather than Dundas; most cars that I see turn onto Victoria from Queen are short-turning Dundas cars headed back westbound from their Church eastbound short-turn, and these are out-of-service until they get back onto Dundas.

The TTC Board has postponed a decision until their February meeting and are promising wider (some) consultation.

Admittedly, Victoria can break-up the people crush a bit by having many discharge at Vic, while most of the pick-up is at Yonge. However, this is less of an issue with all-door boarding and POP for everyone as is coming. And while the streetcar often plods along this section of Queen, it doesn't always and sometimes even runs clear outside of business hours. In these cases, Vic just slows everything down and makes for two long stops aggravatingly mere steps from each other.

The TTC Board has postponed a decision until their February meeting and are promising wider (some) consultation.

I have a bad feelings that good things can't happen again because of the whining.
The sick and old can walk to the bus stop near their home (do they all live just by a transit stop?), can get on and off the subway cars and stations without a problem (many probably have to take the YUS line, do they), but simply can't walk from Yonge st to Victoria st.

And Pam McConnell bends to the wishes of the whiners and acts as if cutting the Victoria stop is a barbaric violation of human rights.
What wider consultation ... it essentially gives whiners a platform to do what they are best at: complain about any change.

I have a bad feelings that good things can't happen again because of the whining.
The sick and old can walk to the bus stop near their home (do they all live just by a transit stop?), can get on and off the subway cars and stations without a problem (many probably have to take the YUS line, do they), but simply can't walk from Yonge st to Victoria st.

And Pam McConnell bends to the wishes of the whiners and acts as if cutting the Victoria stop is a barbaric violation of human rights.
What wider consultation ... it essentially gives whiners a platform to do what they are best at: complain about any change.

Will you be going to the public meeting and voicing support for the stop removal? :)

As a frequent user of the 506 Carlton, I've always wondered if it would make sense to remove the Elizabeth street stop, considering it's only steps away from Bay Street. Also, what about the other Victorias located at Dundas and King streets?

Back