8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
The TTC awarded the tender for the redesign of its website to Devlin eBusiness Architects for $432,000. The firm has been behind some high-profile corporate websites, including Ryerson University, Toyota Canada, and Virgin Mobile, so this is good news for ttc.ca. I'm going to raise my hopes a bit in response.

http://www.devlin.ca

i like the virgin site very much. the ryerson site is meh. the other ones are ur typical websites although it's good to hear that they have done website for some big companies.

i like the virgin site very much. the ryerson site is meh. the other ones are ur typical websites although it's good to hear that they have done website for some big companies.

If it's anything like Ryerson's website, expect the TTC's new site to:

Release your marks early
("How did you calculate 2017 ridership on the 29 Dufferin so quickly?")

Prevent you from enrolling in classes
("What do you mean I don't have the prerequisites for the 501?")

Send your OSAP info to hundreds of people "by mistake"
("You sent my metropass to 37 people in my apartment building but not to me...)

you're talking about blackboard right? if so, i don't think they designed that.

^ I thought Quest at U of Waterloo was bad, till I had to use Blackboard. Then again, when it involves grades or enrollment, Ryerson is brutal.

QUEST was horrible. Why they felt it was necessary to click twenty times just to get to the main menu is beyond me.. then splitting tasks into incoherent categories.... totally was unnecessary. This Blackboard, if worse, must be REALLY bad.. why can't they just make these things simple?

The TTC website will be designed by Devlin; however, the trip planner will be developed by a different company, subject to a tender that has yet to be awarded. I'm betting it will be Trapeze, as they already have the contract for the in-house scheduling software.

The TTC website will be designed by Devlin; however, the trip planner will be developed by a different company, subject to a tender that has yet to be awarded. I'm betting it will be Trapeze, as they already have the contract for the in-house scheduling software.

Google transit seems to work very well when i test drove the vancouver version, but it doesn't have the features that more complex systems like Click n' Ride, Ride Quest and E Ride (aka Click n Ride 2) have. Could that be used as a stopgap if they eliminated the "Find driving directions" button at the top of the screen?

Well if as I expect Trapeze gets the contract, it wouldn't take long to bring a web trip planner online since the entire scheduling system is already in Trapeze and the trip planner is just an additional module that needs to be purchased and implemented into the existing system. A lot, if not all, of the background work has also been done in geocoding stop locations as part of the APC project which led to the implementation of automated stop announcements.

$432,000?! That buys a lot of website, I imagine.

Does this sort of fee for a website have any sort of precedent? At such a cost, I would expect lots of useful, dynamic interactive features like being able to load up your Presto online, check your travel history, etc.

If it's a static site listing routes, maps, and miscellaneous info, I would have to conclude that the money is also buying a race car or two.

A few high school kids could redesign the website faster and for free - pay them with their 40 hours of community service.

high school kids aren't going to develop a full featured e-commerce website... nor will they stick around to maintain it. I'm pretty sure this contract will include e-commerce to allow for online purchases of fare media, back end database support, and continued maintenance and support.

Back