News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Glencairn is still busier than Summerhill, Old Mill, Leslie, Bessarion and three of the six SRT stops. Rosedale and Chester are only slightly busier.
The lousy 14 Glencairn bus doesn't contribute much ridership; I expect it's mostly walk-ups from the west (Marlee Avenue); to the east, it's becoming predominately EFIS-clad McMansions.

I only hate Glencairn as I was dumped there more often than I care to remember thanks to trains short turning at the crossover/pocket track to the immediate north of the station.

Removing Glencairn will only save you about a minute, which is hardly a groundbreaking improvement to speed and competitiveness.

Yorkdale is the busiest station on the Spadina line.

Wilson: 23,420
Yorkdale: 29,080
Third busiest. Downsview and St. Clair West are busier.

Besides being politically unviable, I don't think removing one or two stations here or there will improve things much.

A lot of places that haven't intensified in the decades past are now intensifying & urbanizing, ex. at Wilson & Downsview station large condos are starting to pop up.

I think it would be a mistake to close stations down.

If Glencairn station were removed, then 109 Ranee needs to have service 10 minutes or better to compensate.

Besides being politically unviable, I don't think removing one or two stations here or there will improve things much.

A lot of places that haven't intensified in the decades past are now intensifying & urbanizing, ex. at Wilson & Downsview station large condos are starting to pop up.

I think it would be a mistake to close stations down.

Agree. we can say it shouldn't have been built but to remove an exiting station is stupid. Nobody will say "I am not going to take the subway because that involves wasting 2 minutes at Glencairn".

As to intensifying, when Dupont and Castle Frank are still surrounded by low rise neighbourhoods, you really can't expect much from other stations. What's the rationale for having Castle Frank station? There seems to be nothing around it.

What's the rationale for having Castle Frank station? There seems to be nothing around it.
Really? I use it often enough, and it always seems relatively busy. It's the terminus for the Parliament bus (and the Wellesley bus, though I confess I haven't used it east of Yonge), it's next to a large high school, and it's the nearest subway station to the Brickworks.

Looking at the ridership numbers, it's about the same as Museum. Should we close that one too? Quite frankly, looking at the ridership for various stations, only Bessarion sticks out as being low.

Castle Frank is about 8,000 riders a year. Glencairn and Summerhill are about 6,000, despite much in the way of buses. Rosedale is 7,000.

Most cities would be happy to have 6,000 riders per station. Looking in Vancouver, a lot of Skytrain stations are less than this, even in areas where they are quite far apart (add the 2 columns together to compare to TTC numbers).

I agree.
Just rename the lines by numbers and get rid of the long street names right away. The TTC acts like people in Toronto are so stupid that they can't even remember 4 lines. How hard is that??

If Toronto had 20 lines, that is a different matter.

Everyone knows the YUS name is misleading, not many mentioned that BD is misleading too. After Main station, it doesn't run on Danforth.

In the west end, after the 2 line leaves Islington Station, it follows the railway tracks and ends up parallel to Dundas Street West at Kipling Avenue to get to Kipling Station.

Really? I use it often enough, and it always seems relatively busy. It's the terminus for the Parliament bus (and the Wellesley bus, though I confess I haven't used it east of Yonge), it's next to a large high school, and it's the nearest subway station to the Brickworks.

Looking at the ridership numbers, it's about the same as Museum. Should we close that one too? Quite frankly, looking at the ridership for various stations, only Bessarion sticks out as being low.

Castle Frank is about 8,000 riders a year. Glencairn and Summerhill are about 6,000, despite much in the way of buses. Rosedale is 7,000.

Most cities would be happy to have 6,000 riders per station. Looking in Vancouver, a lot of Skytrain stations are less than this, even in areas where they are quite far apart (add the 2 columns together to compare to TTC numbers).

I am not proposing to remove it. As I said, it would be stupid to remove a station just to save one minute.

Castle Frank's seemingly high ridership is largely due to feeder buses, this is not the case for museum, is it? And no one says those buses HAVE to go to Castle Frank as the terminus station. Ridership heavily dependent on a feeder bus is not true ridership. If the bus feeds another station, the ridership plummets. What matters more is how many people use this station as the starting (density around) or ending point (what's nearby) as those don't change.

Bessarion has low ridership maybe partly because there is no off street bus platforms like Castle Frank?

Last edited:
Castle Frank's seemingly high ridership is largely due to feeder buses, this is not the case for museum, is it?
Agreed.

And no one says those buses HAVE to go to Castle Frank as the terminus station. Ridership heavily dependent on a feeder bus is not true ridership. If the bus feeds another station, the ridership plummets. What matters more is how many people use this station as the starting (density around) or ending point (what's nearby) as those don't change.
I supppose one could extend the Wellesley bus to Broadview. Parliament could be switched to Sherbourne, looping around Howard and Bloor.

On the other hand, I'm not unconvinced that Castle Frank doesn't have development potential.

On the other hand, I'm not unconvinced that Castle Frank doesn't have development potential.

It should, just like Dupont station.
However, at the foot of Rosedale? NYMBYs will go berserk.

A transit-only tunnel (that can also be used by emergency vehicles) can be constructed under the 401, which would allow 115 Silver Hills and 122 Graydon Hall to use Bessarion station, rather than those two buses duplicating 95 York Mills for quite some length; both the 115 Silver Hills and 122 Graydon Hall can be merged and serve the condo developments as well.

A transit-only tunnel (that can also be used by emergency vehicles) can be constructed under the 401, which would allow 115 Silver Hills and 122 Graydon Hall to use Bessarion station, rather than those two buses duplicating 95 York Mills for quite some length; both the 115 Silver Hills and 122 Graydon Hall can be merged and serve the condo developments as well.
Because we are going to build tunnels for buses that have very lower ridership. Silver Hills had only 1,000 riders a day in the last report!

How would the Graydon Hall bus even get to this tunnel? It would probably be quicker to simply send it to Leslie station. Though the last time TTC studied and reported on these two routes, they concluded that most of the passengers were heading to the Yonge line, and they would lose time if they had to use the Sheppard subway and then come back south.

Because we are going to build tunnels for buses that have very lower ridership. Silver Hills had only 1,000 riders a day in the last report!

How would the Graydon Hall bus even get to this tunnel? It would probably be quicker to simply send it to Leslie station. Though the last time TTC studied and reported on these two routes, they concluded that most of the passengers were heading to the Yonge line, and they would lose time if they had to use the Sheppard subway and then come back south.
As I said, the Silver Hills and Graydon Hall routes can be merged.

I'd expect there would be ... give it is also the intersection of Eglinton East and Danforth Road. For people travelling east from the east, it's about 1.5 km closer than Kennedy station. I'd think it would be quite well used - there's several routes that run along Eglinton from Kennedy station to Brimley.

I would hope so. Plus the fact from kennedy to Lawrence/McCowan is almost 5kms! There should also be a Ellesmere stop as well.

A compromise between the SRT route fans and the Danforth fans. Go (almost) straight north west from Kennedy to Brimley Lawrence then move in STC from there.

Back