News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I do agree with your sentiments toward Kinnear ... so in that sense I wouldn't put that by him.

Still, in regards to the majority of the employees, I'll stick to what I said before, and that is simply they do a good job and typically have a good attitude toward customers.

The public *hate* mainly resolves around issues that are in many ways not controllable by the TTC or not controllable by it's employees (customer facing employees)
1) Fares
2) Reliability

These are what most take issue with ... notice how all of this conveniently started after the fare raise went through.

Now, let me be clear, I'm not saying there are not some TTC employees that probably very much deserve to be out of a job and because of the union structure this isn't easy ... this is something I hope changes. But again this is the minority.

taal:

If there is one thing that we should expect from ATU under Kinnear, it is unconventional and ethically dubious practices - like promising not to the strike and the pull a fast one and thinking of nothing about stranding passengers at 12 midnight. Anyone who does this deserve to be on my sh*t list permanently.

Right now, I would love to see the TTC dissolved and existing workers rehired by the reconsituted organization only on a merit basis.

dob67:

Of course they would say it isn't lead by the ATU - even the latter isn't THAT stupid. And remember the other one-day wildcat strike and where ATU stood on that one?

AoD

Last edited:
I do agree with your sentiments toward Kinnear ... so in that sense I wouldn't put that by him.

Still, in regards to the majority of the employees, I'll stick to what I said before, and that is simply they do a good job and typically have a good attitude toward customers.

The public *hate* mainly resolves around issues that are in many ways not controllable by the TTC or not controllable by it's employees (customer facing employees)
1) Fares
2) Reliability

These are what most take issue with ... notice how all of this conveniently started after the fare raise went through.

Now, let me be clear, I'm not saying there are not some TTC employees that probably very much deserve to be out of a job and because of the union structure this isn't easy ... this is something I hope changes. But again this is the minority.
Actually I suspect that a lot of the public "hate" is based on the perception that some of the whiners are grossly overpaid, such as some of the ticket takers. When the TTC increases fares, that "hate" will just increase if the public believes that the TTC is doing nothing to reign in costs, esp. labour costs for a portion of their union.

well, I kinda support them working to rule..the employees didn't raise the fares, and I can understand how the public see the employees as the target, but, all they are trying to do is save there jobs and money like everyone else would. I would certainly be angry if I was being recorded by the people I serve as well. I'm sure there is many time in the day where I don't do things to the letter and if someone were to take a snapshot of the moment, I would look bad. Fact is, riders are angry at TTC management, and taking it out on the employees.

Riders are angry at both TTC management and some TTC employees.

It kind of reminds me of store and airline employees of the old much-more-communist China.

drone:

Not doing things by the letter is one thing - doing things that are clearly not intended to be done is another. And no, the riders are angry at workers who slept on their job or give them the finger while they're being paid. Fare hike or no, THAT is the issue.

AoD

Actually I suspect that a lot of the public "hate" is based on the perception that some of the whiners are grossly overpaid, such as some of the ticket takers. When the TTC increases fares, that "hate" will just increase if the public believes that the TTC is doing nothing to reign in costs, esp. labor costs for a portion of their union.

Unfortunately it's this ignorance which causes the hate you speak of. The ignorance of the public that is. We've been through this before, but demonstrate exactly how any of the TTC employees (whiners or not) are grossly over paid compared to other transport agencies across Canada, the US, heck, even the GTA ...

well, I kinda support them working to rule..the employees didn't raise the fares, and I can understand how the public see the employees as the target, but, all they are trying to do is save there jobs and money like everyone else would. I would certainly be angry if I was being recorded by the people I serve as well. I'm sure there is many time in the day where I don't do things to the letter and if someone were to take a snapshot of the moment, I would look bad. Fact is, riders are angry at TTC management, and taking it out on the employees.

Why would you be angry if you were being recorded? What about if you were giving stellar service and someone recorded that to say "thank you" and show how great employees at your company were? They're angry because they are being caught, and that always ticks people off. They know they're not supposed to be napping or taking 7 minute coffee/pee breaks while en route. For once, usually complacent Canadians are saying "we're not going to take it any more" and doing something about. The ones who are angry have got away with this crap for years. Sure riders are angry at management, but they're just as angry at frontline workers who give them poor service.

Unfortunately it's this ignorance which causes the hate you speak of. The ignorance of the public that is. We've been through this before, but demonstrate exactly how any of the TTC employees (whiners or not) are grossly over paid compared to other transport agencies across Canada, the US, heck, even the GTA ...
Feel free to publish the numbers.

Right now all public employees making over $100000 must have their salaries published. It's rather eye-opening that there are some ticket takers on that list, even if the number is relatively small, and it includes significant overtime.

I wonder what kind of media storm would happen if they broadened that publication to $80000. How many ticket takers would be on the list? What about $60000?

Does anyone here truly believe a ticket taker should even make $60000, even after some overtime?

Does anyone here truly believe a ticket taker should even make $60000, even after some overtime?

Though isn't it the case that the majority of ticket takers are on medical leave from another TTC job (e.g. driver, mechanic)? The alternative is thus to have a cheap ticket taker paid $35,000 and a someone at $60,000 doing nothing.

I'd be surprised if the majority of ticket takers are drivers & mechanics on medical leave, etc. And if they are, there's definitely something wrong in the system. Why are so many on medical leave? Is the percentage on medical leave similar with say Air Canada mechanics?

And even for the minority on medical leave that are ex-drivers, should they be making time-and-a-half of a driver's pay for taking tickets in a booth on overtime? Why are they working so much anyway if they're on medical leave?

I'd love to see the numbers.

Right now all public employees making over $100000 must have their salaries published. It's rather eye-opening that there are some ticket takers on that list, even if the number is relatively small, and it includes significant overtime.

I wonder what kind of media storm would happen if they broadened that publication to $80000. How many ticket takers would be on the list? What about $60000?

If someone works the hours they are entitled to the income, period, regardless of how unimportant their job is,

Yes, I'm happy that my tax dollars are paying him/her $100,000+, good for him/her.

The hourly wage is all there is up for debate ... if we're arguing they're not working the hours needed to get the 100K+ that's a completely different, and legal, matter.

You do realize that one employee working double shifts (which I wouldn't think is possible in the long term) and getting paid that 100K you so dread most likely equates to one less new employee to fill in and work the extra hours needed.

I'd be surprised if the majority of ticket takers are drivers & mechanics on medical leave, etc. And if they are, there's definitely something wrong in the system. Why are so many on medical leave? Is the percentage on medical leave similar with say Air Canada mechanics.

Airline pilots are known for huge rates of sick leave, mostly becuase there are such strict health rules on when they are allowed to fly. (Slate: Why Are Airline Pilots Sick So Often?)

Failing eyesight, anything that could cause fainting or seizures, a need for ready acces to a washroom, and many other common medical issues would prevent someone from driving a bus, but not rule them out from a job such as ticket taker. It is both cruel and illegal to fire such people, so moving them to an easier job, like ticket taker works out well for the TTC. The TTC has 11,000 employees and only a few hundred ticket takers, so it is not surprising that many of those jobs get filled by people on medical leave.

I understand the frustrations the TTC workers have to go though having to worked in the service industry myself and I also understand they are trying to be respectful to their employer. The TTC should do something like cut down on short turning cars and policies on transfers. Yes, TTC would lose money if it bent its own rules but that is a sacrifice to please the riders and make work much easier on for the TTC workers. TTC should allow drivers to bent the rules to serve their customers if they want their workers to avoid threats, verbal abuse and rudeness from riders.

Airline pilots are known for huge rates of sick leave, mostly becuase there are such strict health rules on when they are allowed to fly. (Slate: Why Are Airline Pilots Sick So Often?)
I said mechanics, not pilots.

Failing eyesight, anything that could cause fainting or seizures, a need for ready acces to a washroom, and many other common medical issues would prevent someone from driving a bus, but not rule them out from a job such as ticket taker. It is both cruel and illegal to fire such people, so moving them to an easier job, like ticket taker works out well for the TTC. The TTC has 11,000 employees and only a few hundred ticket takers, so it is not surprising that many of those jobs get filled by people on medical leave.
Maybe that's true, but even as a public company they don't seem willing to release that information in any meaningful way. If the TTC needs to educate the public, then perhaps they should. The whole the-public-should-be-ashamed-because-the-sleeping-employee-may-have-been-sick response is just laughable.

In the very least they need to educate their own employees about what constitutes a good employee.

Back