News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 8.28.18 PM.png

View attachment 370011
This will be a great one to follow, wonder where they will be priced. Schools in the area are already good and there is great access to the Whitemud, the ravines and LRT. It would also be a good opportunity to get all parking underground and create a small walkable commercial area along 48th Av. What I see is a bit of a wasted opportunity.

From the most recent GOA budget. I assume this is captured within the existing structure?

'$49.6 million over three years to begin construction of the University of Alberta Hospital Brain Centre - Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit'

I heard a rumour recently regarding Humanities building. being possibly repurposed/leased or even demo’d (both seem strange and unlikely). Anyone else hear anything?

I heard a rumour recently regarding Humanities building. being possibly repurposed/leased or even demo’d (both seem strange and unlikely). Anyone else hear anything?
Huh?

Why would they go down that path?

Sadly it seems that demo is going to happen
I really hope not. Humanities building is one of my favourite buildings on campus, and also one of my favourite examples of brutalism done well.
Huh?

Why would they go down that path?
My guess is as good as yours and truthfully whatever the reason actually is it’s inexcusable.

Hell, they were doing an incredible amount of abatement/renos on the whole building just a few years ago….

Hopefully this paired with their new real estate development arm means densification, more student/market housing and a much more urban feel for some parts of the main campus.

I just talked to my kid and she has her ENG 103 class in that building in Sep
She'll get work experience early on by helping out with the demo ;)

Here's an update on Michener Park from February.

Main takeaways:

-Demolition of the laundry building and general site clean-up will take place from mid-February to mid-March. 
-The perimeter construction fence will be removed and re-installed around Vanier Tower.
-The existing chain link and front main gate will remain as is.  Vanier Tower continues to be reviewed to determine if the building can be renovated

Also, the University of Alberta will begin consultations this year for West 240, which is a nearby 220-acre plot of farmland. This'll be something huge to keep an eye on.

Well if the admin building goes it would finally open up the quad which I wouldn't mind.

The humanities building, if it's the building I'm thinking of is visually interesting inside and out but definitely needs to at least be renovated. The building feels like it is now in an awkward location and is oriented in the wrong direction.

Two buildings though that need serious renovations is the Tory lecture theater and the Tory building next to it. The theater needs plenty of upgrades that are now basic needs in a modern educational setting.

Admin has a special place in my heart for a few reasons, but it's time to go and open up the quad.

Pretty sure Tory still has cigarette ashtrays in some of the rooms. Tory 'Turtle' had major Renos just before and just after I was there which should still be relatively contemporary, but I am unsure how it aged.

Back