40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Think inside the box: unfinished 'white box' condos gaining appeal

TORONTO — A new type of condo for the price-conscious, recession-weary consumer has popped up south of the border and some experts say the so-called "white box" could soon find a market in Canada too.

The white box - an unfinished condo that is left for the buyer to equip with appliances, floors and paint as he or she sees fit - is gaining popularity in some of the United States' harder-hit housing markets, such as Las Vegas.

The appeal is generally one of price: rather than having to buy a fully finished condo with top-of-the line granite countertops, hardwood floors and stainless-steel appliances, the buyer can opt for cheaper touches or take advantage of connections for a DIY approach.

And the concept of customizing your condo, rather than buying a carbon copy of your neighbour's, appeals to buyers as well.

Steve Volkers, a realtor who sells condos in downtown Grand Rapids, Mich., said there are three new developments offering white boxes in the city of 200,000 and his recent sales have been a "50-50 split" between finished and unfinished units.

Volkers said the savings from buying an unfinished condo can be substantial, and he has seen units that would ordinarily go for US$160,000 selling for $120,000 as white boxes.

"Most of the time it's the savings that attracts people to white boxes," Volkers said.

"They feel like they can get a better cost by doing it themselves. Some are builders, some are investors, some are young professionals that have family connections or whatever, and they feel they can build it out for a little bit cheaper than we can build it out or can get better prices than we can get."

He said a lot of young professionals are coming to work at a new health complex in Grand Rapids and they're realizing that buying a white box means they can afford a condo in a location where they might otherwise be priced out of the market.

In addition, investors are snatching up white boxes because they tend to have connections with builders and can then custom-design a condo for the rental or resale market, Volkers said.

The white box phenomenon hasn't migrated northward yet, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be demand for a similar concept in Canada, experts say.

Michael Mann, director of strategic marketing with Toronto developer Tridel Corp., said he expects Canadian developers will start to offer cheaper condos with fewer amenities in response to price-conscious buyers and other factors, including a new harmonized sales tax in Ontario that will make home purchases over $400,000 more expensive and a new municipal land-transfer tax in Toronto.

"If you have rising commodity costs and rising interest rates, the only thing you can strip down in order to make the product more affordable is to decrease the number of luxuries within the suite. So I think that's just a natural evolution," Mann said.

While Mann said he doubts Tridel will start selling unfinished units, that doesn't mean there isn't room in the Toronto market for the concept.

"I wouldn't be surprised if there's some developers that do that," he said.

"I think it's a personal preference and the decision's going to be made depending on who the developer identifies as their potential purchasers, and if they do their homework, they'll figure out what the consumer wants."

Scotiabank economist Adrienne Warren said lower-end condos have fared better during the recession than luxury condos, and Canadians may see developers cutting costs by offering fewer amenities like swimming pools, fitness centres and theatres in their buildings.

She questioned whether white-box developments would meet regulatory requirements in Canada, but said if there was a way to do it, the demand is probably there, particularly given the federal government's new tax credit for home renovations.

"I'm sure a lot of people would like that these days: go in and do it yourself and save a little money and get a tax credit," Warren said.

But Toronto realtor Brad Lamb said there are problems inherent in the white-box concept, particularly in big high-rises.

Most condo buyers won't be able to find better deals than developers because developers tend to buy stuff like appliances in bulk, Lamb said. In addition, to have everyone in a large building renovating their condos at once would be "pandemonium."

However, it could work in smaller, loft-style buildings, or in a few customizable penthouses, he added.

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gg6qom2yDGE8nqoeT79gu7x5boZw

I guess these white boxes have existed in Europe for many years, you can always tell when you look up at an occupied condo unit with visual hanging pig-tails with bare bulbs.:D

This would be much less of a potential issue if some builders weren't charging such high prices for upgrades.

"From $89,999" would work for me, especially if they came in 5 sizes--300SF for $90k (ideal for students/working class single people, cheap ppl like me:)), 450SF for $130k (students, yuppies, working class couple), 600SF for $180k, 750SF for $225k and 900SF for $270k. Perhaps the podiums could contain ten 1200SF 3 bedroom units, for $340k. (Between $280-$300psf.)

Getting stoves etc yourself could be much cheaper, especially if you got used ones....

Painting/flooring would take the average buyer 1 month perhaps? (Assume weekend work only.)

No amenities included...no gym, no swimming pool, no concierge. Deal.

Retail--where applicable--at base.

Decent architecture--no Kirkor allowed.:)

Modest to no indoor parking. Except for bicycles.

I might be tempted to buy a few....:D

Last edited:
I would love to buy one of these as I'm very picky. However, the idea greatly reduces the builder's profit potential so I don't think it will become popular.

I don't know if most people would really care anyway, since most new construction condos are essentially a 'white box' plus kitchen plus bathroom. There's not a whole you can do with 600 square feet or however big your new shoebox is.

"From $89,999" would work for me, especially if they came in 5 sizes--
300SF for $90k (ideal for students/working class single people, cheap ppl like me:)),
450SF for $130k (students, yuppies, working class couple),
600SF for $180k,
750SF for $225k and
900SF for $270k.
Perhaps the podiums could contain ten 1200SF 3 bedroom units, for $340k. (Between $280-$300psf.)

hmmm ... at those prices, i would expect a fully finished condo, not just a white box.

i guess one's view of value gets skewed after a decade of increasing prices, considering a mid-high luxury condo in Miami could be purchased for those figures.

^Yeah, originally I was gonna knock $20k off each of those places, or about $250psf average. $290psf average downtown would be reasonable, in Scar/Miss/Brampton/and other GTA/Toronto area 'hoods $250psf would be better entry point, perhaps less.:)

i went on a condo act course a few years back that spoke to this.

from what i recall, they really started in hong kong.

and from what i understand, would require majore changes to the condo act it self in order to allow this.

i haven't finalized an opinion, but imagine the change it would have on the work force. the small, one man shop reno guys would be doing well.

i think there could be a market for them. many the condo act should be allowed to change to permit them, but not require them.

i'd guess they could potentially become some of the most saught after condos in the city from a resale perspective. with each being so unique.

i'd like to give it a try.

i haven't finalized an opinion, but imagine the change it would have on the work force. the small, one man shop reno guys would be doing well.
Well, that's almost like you might support make-work projects.

People often get units with no upgrades not because they like the base amenities. No, it's because they hate everything, and think the builder-provided upgrades either aren't very good or that they cost too much.

So, you still end up paying thousands for stuff that you're gonna just tear out and replace anyway. Very wasteful use of resources.

i'm confused.
Well, that's almost like you might support make-work projects..
make-work project.. i guess so, call it what you will..

People often get units with no upgrades not because they like the base amenities. No, it's because they hate everything, and think the builder-provided upgrades either aren't very good or that they cost too much.

So, you still end up paying thousands for stuff that you're gonna just tear out and replace anyway. Very wasteful use of resources.

it sounds like you're against the idea.. but doesn't that solve the problem of a waste of resources.. putting in what you from the get go?

my comment about the small reno guys was more speaking to the change in the work force.. less people working for large contractor companies in these condos.. over charging for "upgrades".. more independent home-contractors working.. offering more competive prices and quality work. and by defult.. would make better use of resources.

Last edited:
and from what i understand, would require majore changes to the condo act it self in order to allow this.

Why? What changes would be required?

I bought a hard loft years ago, it came with the minimum required bathroom and small kitchen...effectively a white box condo....I did the rest myself.

i may be mistaken, but from what i recall it had to do with at what level of completion an occupancy permit can be issued and when ownership can be transferred to the first owner.

because of the lag time between the buyer taking occupancy and actual condo registration, the buyer can't do the renos until after registration, which is really when he becomes the owner.

maybe "major" changes to the act was the wrong word. but changes none the less.

your condo maybe have nearly qualified as white box, but the hong kong examples they used at this course where entirely bare bones, like nothing more than running and capping the water lines etc.. forget sink and toliet installation.

i may be mistaken, but from what i recall it had to do with at what level of completion an occupancy permit can be issued and when ownership can be transferred to the first owner.

A Bathroom and kitchen are required in Ontario for a dwelling to be sold as a residence.

Back