News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Looks like it's one of the things that survived the election so far:

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/20...-implementing-french-language-university.html

That being said, I think another French university in the north-east (Ottawa?) where the Franco-Ontarians are located would not be a bad idea to ward off language attrition- something this university won't do.
Unfortunate that Doug Ford dismissed his lack of ability in French as something he would only need to reach Quebecers. That said, a Toronto French university will service French speaking immigrants and migrants from elsewhere in Canada.

As for an additional university in northern Ontario, I can understand why there is a desire in some communities not to lose their kids to Toronto, Ottawa or even Sudbury as this may induce them to stay rather than return. At the same time, universities need to be able to recruit and retain a critical mass of staff to deliver a credible number of programmes, even operating as an offshoot of a larger school like Laurentian like the one in Hearst. It's questionable as to how many of those northern Ontario can successfully support.

Looks like it's one of the things that survived the election so far:

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/20...-implementing-french-language-university.html

That being said, I think another French university in the north-east (Ottawa?) where the Franco-Ontarians are located would not be a bad idea to ward off language attrition- something this university won't do.

According to the 2016 census, there are nearly 100,000 Torontonians with French as their mother tongue, and nearly half a million speak both English and French. Many French-speaking European and African immigrants choose to settle here instead of in Québec.

Interesting that this one survived Doug's most recent campus cancellations.

Maybe because it was re-announced back in July and slipped under the radar. (Goes to show how well thought out these policy announcements coming from QP are).

I'm (pleasantly) surprised this is still going forward.
Most things in the City of Toronto, Doug seems to be fine with (This, the new Hospital), while stopping the funding in the 905 for hospital beds / new Universities/colleges. Interesting.

So with the MarS announcement for the Waterfront Innovation Centre, we can cross that one out as a potential candidate for this campus.

Any thoughts on how much sq ft is desired between Université de l'Ontario Français, Collège Boréal and Télévision Française de l'Ontario (TFO)? Those are three fairly significant institutions that would be good to locate near each other.

Too bad that the Portlands is still at least a decade out for occupancy, as these would make for a good institutional anchor.

Edit: I looked up the annual report posted on the TFO website and a brief look-through makes it seem as though they are doing a pretty good job in delivering their objectives in reaching larger audiences, and are staying revenue positive. I had desired to find how many people work at TFO but could not find the information. It appears however to be a sizeable amount that they would be the anchor tenant to any office/institutional building built along the East Bayfront.

In addition to being located near Collège Boréal and the prospective Université de l'Ontario Français, a TFO location along the East Bayfront would also be a short distance from the Studio District, which could provide another good point of synergy.

Last edited:
An update about Collège Boréal:

Toronto's Distillery District is getting a new college campus

http://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-distillery-district-college-boreal-campus

Toronto’s emerging Distillery District (DD) could become even more vibrant from the activity generated by a new planned campus for College Boreal.

The French-language post-secondary institution is currently located at 1 Yonge Street, but with its lease expiring shortly it has made a decision to relocate to the DD, which will provide a 100,000-sq-ft, four-storey campus location – about twice the size of the existing location.

The new campus within the District’s so-called ‘Ribbon Building’ is expected to cost $22 million, with the provincial government covering $15 million and the college covering the remainder.

This will be a permanent campus for the college, which is set to open in 2020 or early-2021. It will offer programs that help address the province’s shortage of skilled labour, specifically in business and entrepreneurship, computer sciences, community services, and health.

“The new campus will allow Collège Boréal to increase its contribution to the excellence of our educational system and to the vitality of Toronto’s Francophone community,” said Caroline Mulroney, Ontario Minister Responsible for Francophone Affairs and Attorney General, in a statement.

Last edited:
Hmm,..im confused? has this have anything to do with the title of this thread
In the context of three significant Francophone institutions looking to relocate in the same area of the city, yes.

I edited the post to make clear the news article is about an update to Collège Boréal.

I wonder if TFO/TVO could re-combine down on the waterfront somewhere. Another alternative would be to rent space from CBC/Radio-Canada (as they do have a surplus in Toronto).

Still, with Boréal going into the DD, the desire to create a francophone enclave (TFO, Université de l'Ontario Français), would be relegated to the not-so-developed south-end of the PanAm Village (next to the Distillery). Thoughts?

I wonder if TFO/TVO could re-combine down on the waterfront somewhere. Another alternative would be to rent space from CBC/Radio-Canada (as they do have a surplus in Toronto).

Still, with Boréal going into the DD, the desire to create a francophone enclave (TFO, Université de l'Ontario Français), would be relegated to the not-so-developed south-end of the PanAm Village (next to the Distillery). Thoughts?

The upcoming Villiers Island at Portlands might be a fancifully good place to create that kind of an enclave. Ile de Villiers?

AoD

As a Francophone, I am rather indifferent to this. A Francophone association once had a survey on colocating various organizations in Toronto in the hope of creating a "Francophone neighbourhood", but it didn't gain much traction. To me this would be ghettohizing, and frankly we're not a minority ethnic group that needs to stick together, we're one of the founding cultures of this country. I'm at home everywhere in this city and in this country. I am not sure there can be any synergy between the college, the university, TFO and al., they are all separate entities with their own identity and agenda.

For the record, I'm not completely "for it" either. I'm just speculating as there seems to always be a push for a francophone area of Toronto.

I think there are some natural synergies between a university and college though. In fact, it's de rigueur these days, especially in this province, with Humber/Guelph, Seneca/York, Mohawk/McMaster, as some recent Golden Horseshoe examples.

I think there are some natural synergies between a university and college though. In fact, it's de rigueur these days, especially in this province, with Humber/Guelph, Seneca/York, Mohawk/McMaster, as some recent Golden Horseshoe examples.
George Brown/Ryerson as well.

Back