News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

One BIG problem Toronto has is the narrow sidewalks it has. For the trees to grow large and provide shade, they need ground space for its roots to expand and feed from. In Toronto, that space was slowly used up after the 1920's when they widened the traffic lanes, narrowing the sidewalks.

Notice how big the trees used to be on University Avenue (looking towards Queen's Park). From link...
be24-2012717-university-north-armouries-1900s-f1568_it0310.jpg

Looking north from Queen's Park...
2012717-uni-qp-to-bloor-1930-f1244_it1005.jpg

All those trees were scarified for the all mighty automobile.

I was skimming a Parks Strategy report and noticed that in 2018 Council had asked for options to maximize parkland on University Ave.? My reading is that nothing has been done as of yet?

Not quite.

See my post in the Parks, New and Revitalized thread, here:

Or just the relevant bit, below:

1631282130579.png

1631282108300.png

Note, this only a feasibility study that's funded, not actual detailed design, let alone construction.

I was skimming a Parks Strategy report and noticed that in 2018 Council had asked for options to maximize parkland on University Ave.? My reading is that nothing has been done as of yet?

I would have thought that the 'green-space' in the median which is there now would belong to Transportation rather than Parks and that any redesign will be relying on the private venture to improve University discussed higher up this thread. The likelihood of a 'real park' ever being possible ON University seems very remote to me.

I would have thought that the 'green-space' in the median which is there now would belong to Transportation rather than Parks and that any redesign will be relying on the private venture to improve University discussed higher up this thread. The likelihood of a 'real park' ever being possible ON University seems very remote to me.

I'm not sure how the 'ownership' is structured; but the median is 100% maintained by Parks, Forestry and Recreation.

Wow. They must not put any effort into it whatsoever.
Last time Iooked, it was not looking too shabby and with the impending re-make of the whole median area I assume they are not going to do anything major like fixing the uneven pavers.

Last time Iooked, it was not looking too shabby and with the impending re-make of the whole median area I assume they are not going to do anything major like fixing the uneven pavers.

We just need one of those city standard garbage bins/pails to complete that median improvement.

AoD

Wow. They must not put any effort into it whatsoever.

The flower displays are usually pretty nice, and weed-free, that's maintained by Horticulture (the professional gardeners).

The benches, and paving materials are Parks Operations for minor fixes and lighting; fountains are Parks plumbers (operations) for minor hiccups, and routine work, major re-builds are tendered.

Monuments are maintained by Culture/Heritage Preservation.

Trees are Forestry.

Yes, Parks is very silo'ed.........its a royal pain.

What's messing it up is the Toronto Transportation Department, where the almighty automobile is king and god. They worship the current want-to-be-expressway that it is, and will fight to keep it that way.

Any signs of significant political support for this project? Or of City Planning prioritizing such an initiative?

I know University Avenue was included with the City’s Great Streets initiative, but I haven’t heard any updates.

Any signs of significant political support for this project? Or of City Planning prioritizing such an initiative?

I know University Avenue was included with the City’s Great Streets initiative, but I haven’t heard any updates.

The 2021-2025 Parks & Public Realm Implementation Strategy was adopted on September 14, 2021 by the Infrastructure & Environment Committee and will probably be adopted at City Council on October 1, 2021. For now, only a feasibility study is funded for University Avenue. However, they are planning on asking the federal & provincial governments for help with funding the projects. I really hope it works out, as I don't want to wait so long for a reimagined University Avenue and overall a nicer public realm for our downtown.

Back