News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I am not so sure Grosvenor is involved with this new 12th Ave one. It could just be Cressey on their own. Grosvenor seems to be moving forward with their 17th Ave / 4th Street project, rather than this one. Although, there is little detail about this new one to be seen yet, so perhaps they are still partnering.

That whole area is really filling in. Once the ring road is complete, you'll see the area really take off I think.
You get a real idea of how much has been done at this site if you take a look at some recent Aerial Photos.
Peak Aerial's stock images: http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/galleries/cities/calgary

There are a lot of good photos there showing many of the talked about developments around the city! I was pleased to stumble upon the site.

Immigration stats out today for the 2016 Census for Calgary CMA:

404,700 immigrants (behind Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal)
% of population immigrants: 29.4% (behind only Toronto and Vancouver).
% of population "recent immigrants" (2011-2016): 6.8% (behind only Regina and Winnipeg)

2016 Census, Calgary CMA, top immigrant countries. Interesting to see Nigeria make the top 10

Philippines: 53,450
India: 46,950
China: 34,945
UK: 26,180
Pakistan: 17,740
Viet Nam: 15,700
US: 12,110
Hong Kong: 11,115
Nigeria: 7,685
South Korea: 7,280

2016 Census, Calgary CMA, recent immigrants (2011-2016). Interesting that Syria doesn't make the top 10

Philippines: 21,960
India: 13,050
China: 6,265
Pakistan: 4,400
Nigeria: 3,910
UK: 2,880
Iran: 2,245
US: 2,055
Mexico: 1,970
South Korea: 1,910

Are refugees treated n the same way as other immigrants? It might also be possible that there weren't actually that many. I think the refugee program for Syrian began in earnest in late 2015. That really only leaves a single year of the covered period in which to have received them. I think Canada ended up taking something like 40,000 Syrians. That's not that many people to distribute throughout the country. If calgary took a proportionate amount to it's population that would probably be only around 1,400.

I think the only one on there that really surprises me is Mexico. I've never considered us much of a destination for Mexicans. I'm so used to interacting with people of other 9 nationalities on a daily basis by comparison.

2016 Census, Calgary CMA

Total population: 1,374,650
North American Aboriginal origins: 55,430
Visible minorities: 463,450 (does not include white or aboriginal people. It's kind of a strange term because where does white end and begin?)

Are refugees treated n the same way as other immigrants? It might also be possible that there weren't actually that many. I think the refugee program for Syrian began in earnest in late 2015. That really only leaves a single year of the covered period in which to have received them. I think Canada ended up taking something like 40,000 Syrians. That's not that many people to distribute throughout the country. If calgary took a proportionate amount to it's population that would probably be only around 1,400.

I think so. And you're exactly right. Calgary CMA counts 1,385 recent Syrian immigrants.

Immigration stats out today for the 2016 Census for Calgary CMA:

404,700 immigrants (behind Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal)
% of population immigrants: 29.4% (behind only Toronto and Vancouver).
% of population "recent immigrants" (2011-2016): 6.8% (behind only Regina and Winnipeg)

Wow, almost a full third of Calgary is made up of immigrants. Pretty amazing for a prairie city.

Wow, almost a full third of Calgary is made up of immigrants. Pretty amazing for a prairie city.

I think the Prairies' reputation for insularity and parochialism is based on unfair stereotypes propagated by our superficial similarity to certain parts of the United States. The Prairie Provinces are hardly Canada's "deep south." We've been taking in immigrants non-stop for over a hundred years. It should come as no shock that a competitive, prosperous and livable city like our own should be a desirable place for people to settle. The average flatness of the surrounding terrain should have no impact on that.

I think the Prairies' reputation for insularity and parochialism is based on unfair stereotypes propagated by our superficial similarity to certain parts of the United States. The Prairie Provinces are hardly Canada's "deep south." We've been taking in immigrants non-stop for over a hundred years. It should come as no shock that a competitive prosperous and livable city like should be a desirable place for people to settle. The average flatness of the surrounding terrain should have no impact on that.

So well said! Amen to that.

Calgary is truly become a diversified city, no question. I was downtown a couple of evenings this month taking pics, etc.. and the thing that struck me most was how many of the people out and about were visible minorities. In my own non-scientific estimate I would say about 50-60% of the people were visible minorities.

I'm calculating a 33.7% visible minority pop for Cgy CMA (463,450/1,374,650) - quite high compared to the next grouping of cities (mtl, edm, ottawa)

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...Temporal=2017&THEME=120&VID=0&VNAMEE=&VNAMEF=

It's quite remarkable given that when I was a kid(early 90's) Calgary was over 90% Caucasian. It'll be interesting to see how the demographic change plays out over my life time.

My only concern is that we will see an increase in self-segregation of cultures within the city...similar to what is unfolding in Vancouver, ie parts of Surrey is all Sikh and most of Richmond is Asian.

Calgary CMA also with the 4th highest rate of homeownership among CMAs at 73%, only behind Oshawa, Barrie, Kelowna.

This is interesting: "The share of households living in condominiums varied among census metropolitan areas (CMAs) in 2016. Vancouver (30.6%) had the highest proportion of households living in condominiums, surpassing second-place Calgary (21.8%)" .... Toronto at 20.9%

Housing in Canada: Key results from the 2016 Census
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/171025/dq171025c-eng.htm?HPA=1

Back