News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I disagree, a diversity of building types is fantastic.

I would like to see some more ground floor action - and for the love of god, the city should do something about 6th Ave being a 5-lane one-way road.

Certainly, but it will take time.

Once upon a time there was a tower atop a grocery store podium set for 17th and 1st W:
This site has to be the most valuable undeveloped real estate in the Beltline.

It's almost a full block of potential redevelopment, located on 17th Ave, views of Rouleauville Square and St. Mary's, 3 blocks from the Stampede C-Train station, and 5 blocks away from the new green line station on Centre St.

I really hope we get something more ambitious than a grocery store and condos. It has the opportunity to be a real destination on 17th and connect all of the activity on the west side with the arena/convention centre.

I disagree, a diversity of building types is fantastic.

I would like to see some more ground floor action - and for the love of god, the city should do something about 6th Ave being a 5-lane one-way road.

Certainly, but it will take time.

Once upon a time there was a tower atop a grocery store podium set for 17th and 1st W:

Maybe this proposal will start back up now that PBA Land is finished with the Dorian?

It's still featured on their website.

^ if is still on their website, is there a possibility it gets resurrected? maybe it was just idle the whole time

I've always felt the site of the former La Chaumiere restaurant on 17th Ave would be ideal for a mid-rise rental building with retail facing 17th Ave and suites with balconies facing Rouleauville Square. Not only would it boost the vibrancy and density along 17th but I think it would also dramatically reduce the issues with vagrants and drug use in the park.

I noticed this on the Truman Homes website this morning. Can anyone place the location, based on the buildings in the background? First & Tenth to me seems like 10th Ave and 1st Street SW, but I can't quite place those other buildings......

1658501798188.png

I noticed this on the Truman Homes website this morning. Can anyone place the location, based on the buildings in the background? First & Tenth to me seems like 10th Ave and 1st Street SW, but I can't quite place those other buildings......

View attachment 415216
Looks to be here: https://goo.gl/maps/PUmqve7tMM3bQcdCA

It would be unfortunate to lose another heritage building for this.

So torn, the new podium looks beautiful but the tower above looks pretty standard. It would be a shame to lose another heritage building as well...

It's funny. We have so many empty lots or underutilized blocks around the city, but it seems like only the cool blocks that are actually vibrant are the ones getting targeted for development. 😐

Just like the Tigerstedt Block, it looks like a decent design and it’s being done by a reputable developer, but would be replacing a vibrant character block.

Agreed, building is nice but fuck that location. Take the design and plunk it on any one of the million parking lots nearby, the existing building serves a function and is historic. Build the urban fabric stop tearing down buildings and replacing them when we have vast swaths of empty wasteland parking lots.

Agreed, building is nice but fuck that location. Take the design and plunk it on any one of the million parking lots nearby, the existing building serves a function and is historic. Build the urban fabric stop tearing down buildings and replacing them when we have vast swaths of empty wasteland parking lots.
Is there a reason they avoid parking lots? I feel like these developers aren't here to find buildings to tear down on purpose, unless prime location. Like wouldn't it be cheaper to buy that land, then a building and demolish it

Is it boomers that own the parking lots? Or large REITs or corporations who can afford to sit on them for years and years as they wait their turn to have a market favourable enough to meet their ROI targets?

Back