News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Having just thought about it, I’m pretty upset that we just got like 5 new towers proposed this week and have absolutely no information on the aesthetics of any of them.

One Properties 1 & 2
Vibe
Stampede Hotel

… wasn’t there another one?

Still, even with 4, very upset 😡😢

Having just thought about it, I’m pretty upset that we just got like 5 new towers proposed this week and have absolutely no information on the aesthetics of any of them.

One Properties 1 & 2
Vibe
Stampede Hotel

… wasn’t there another one?

Still, even with 4, very upset 😡😢
Western Securities bought a parcel of land off of 1st Street SW kitty corner to the Underwood. That's probably the 5th tower, even tho there's no design, it's expected to be a highrise.

Right I remember about that one, but that wasn’t what I was thinking about. Just might be imagining things haha.

whats the one properties project all about? must have missed that
Two towers on west side of Q Block in EV. These, along with Vibe, will complete Q Block.

Not sure if there is a specific thread for the Co-op gas bar and adjacent development on MacLeod Tr. but things appear to be happening with the south part of the lot at 36th Ave. I believe it’s going to be residential ?

Pedestrian deaths are rising. How can the Montreal area's streets be made safer?

'At the intersection where Lehenkovska was killed, for example, the city has erected temporary bollards and larger, more obvious stop signs. The plastic cylinders make the road appear narrow to drivers in the hope of slowing them down.

But advocates still describe the process as fatally slow — too often addressing problem areas only after someone has died.

That's in part because traffic calming measures are expensive. The infrastructure, like curb extensions, can cost between $30,000 to $100,000 per intersection.

Unfortunately it takes tragedy to to get some urgency, but it's odd that they're able to put up temporary traffic calming while also talking about how expensive solutions are. You just found a cheap solution, use inexpensive traffic calming measures and when you redo an intersection then do the curb extensions.

The measures also aren't popular with everyone. Sometimes neighbours oppose them because traffic calming often means making more space for pedestrians at the expense of parking spaces for locals.

But there is another elephant in the room, said Mackey. The number of large vehicles on our streets is growing. Pickup trucks and SUVs are among the most popular models in Quebec.

It's nice to know we're not so different from our sworn enemy (Quebec). They also love their parking and large vehicles.

Pierro Hirsch, a former driving instructor in Montreal with a doctorate in public health, said there is no simple solution to prevent all pedestrian accidents.

"You want to solve the problem? At no time should anybody be driving at a speed that could kill an unprotected pedestrian when there's a high risk of pedestrians being present. That's your answer," he said.

"But that's not an answer that's going to have any traction in any community."

Once again, 'there's no solution', then they give us a solution. And encouragingly the City of Calgary did just lower speed limits.

Bit of a misleading headline there - does this journo just not understand per capita stats or is he deliberately misrepresenting the situation to create a better story? 🤔

Pedestrian fatalities have actually been decreasing in Canada for decades. We are almost half the rate of the US, and comparable with the EU, which is surprising considering we have comparatively higher speed roads than Europe.

Chart.png

I know someone had said the work they're doing on Len Werry isn't the Len Werry Reclad and that it was an HVAC upgrade but I'm not so sure they aren't doing something to the façade. They've removed the current facade from the top of the building and I can't think of why they would do that if it wasn't part of some kind of reclad.

Last edited:

Back