News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Not really sure where the best thread is to post this as it's kind of a public realm/street thing but also a proposal for the urban environment. Either way, 17th Ave BIA is looking for feedback on the idea of possibly closing 17th Ave to vehicles during the summer.

At times it feels like this City is run by idiots. They should've just removed a lane and expanded the sidewalks when they were renovating 17th Ave a few years back. It's like they push the can down the road purposely to have something to deal with later.

At times it feels like this City is run by idiots. They should've just removed a lane and expanded the sidewalks when they were renovating 17th Ave a few years back. It's like they push the can down the road purposely to have something to deal with later.
Not sure if a seasonal/occasional street closure will help or hinder businesses along it. They sure suffered whilst construction was occurring. Would not be impressed to a repeat of that! Having said that, as long as the businesses are in support, as a citizen I would be too!

And that’s only two towers, and not on the block he was referring to.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, there's a Land Use sign up on the Staples site across from WVT. It was submitted by O2 Planning on Dec 22, 2022. I'm not sure who the developer is.

The Land Use Redesignation calls for a CC-X mixed-use district with a max of 12.0 FAR based on incentive programs (Ex. Affordable housing provisions). For reference, Cidex's 170m Elbow River project is 11.5 FAR.

staples.PNG

Edit: Oh, in other news, One Properties has moved their 9th ave development to the top spot on their website's "upcoming projects" section and have released a brand new retail brochure, so maybe there will be movement on that as well.

Link to the brochure

Edit 2: Also, let's not forget that Metro Ford has officially moved out of their old location between the Staples site and the One Properties site, so maybe all three parcels will have something on them within the next few years!

Last edited:
Meant to mention, Amaranth on 4th Street officially closed its location about 2 weeks ago. I wonder if they're preparing this site to move forward with the new tower.
Unfortunately the development permit for that site seems to have stalled out and hasn't been approved (due to lack of response from the developer I think). Not sure if GWL is still interested in the project.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, there's a Land Use sign up on the Staples site across from WVT. It was submitted by O2 Planning on Dec 22, 2022. I'm not sure who the developer is.

The Land Use Redesignation calls for a CC-X mixed-use district with a max of 12.0 FAR based on incentive programs (Ex. Affordable housing provisions). For reference, Cidex's 170m Elbow River project is 11.5 FAR.

View attachment 491372

Edit: Oh, in other news, One Properties has moved their 9th ave development to the top spot on their website's "upcoming projects" section and have released a brand new retail brochure, so maybe there will be movement on that as well.

Link to the brochure

Edit 2: Also, let's not forget that Metro Ford has officially moved out of their old location between the Staples site and the One Properties site, so maybe all three parcels will have something on them within the next few years!
One Properties has other focuses I have heard, Metro Ford might still be a while. It is not their East Village project either. Stay tuned, something should be coming in a few months.....

Any idea if there is a timeline on an underpass for 11St rail crossing?
Next steps are to be shared in the fall, but administration is recommending an active modes only crossing. Keep in mind this is just the functional planning study, and doesn't automatically mean funding for construction. There are a lot of functional planning studies sitting collecting dust for projects around the city.

Unfortunately the development permit for that site seems to have stalled out and hasn't been approved (due to lack of response from the developer I think). Not sure if GWL is still interested in the project.

One Properties has other focuses I have heard, Metro Ford might still be a while. It is not their East Village project either. Stay tuned, something should be coming in a few months.....

Next steps are to be shared in the fall, but administration is recommending an active modes only crossing. Keep in mind this is just the functional planning study, and doesn't automatically mean funding for construction. There are a lot of functional planning studies sitting collecting dust for projects around the city.
Are you referring to the TransAlta project?

Back