News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A good step forward, but this far from the last battle on upzoning to R-CG citywide. From the live wire article:

“She reminded Coun. Sharp and other councillors that there still must be a debate and public hearing on whether the upzoning goes through.”

The Elbow Parkers that staged the uprising over the Guidebook haven’t gone anywhere, they are just hiding and reloading while the political winds blow against them.

When the R-CG comes up for a vote, expect all the usual suspects (Elbow Park, Rosedale, Mount Royal) to seek and receive exceptions because “heritage”. There will be some upzoning in poorer neighborhoods where developers don’t want to build rowhouses anyway.
To be fair, not sure the land costs in those neighborhoods will lead to actual affordable housing being built there. It won't even happen in the communities just outside of that. IMO it will be achieved in neighborhoods that build proper townhomes, row houses, and other RC-G buildings that cost between $300k and $600k.

To be fair, not sure the land costs in those neighborhoods will lead to actual affordable housing being built there. It won't even happen in the communities just outside of that. IMO it will be achieved in neighborhoods that build proper townhomes, row houses, and other RC-G buildings that cost between $300k and $600k.

For sure a rowhouse on Crescent Rd or a duplex in Mount Royal would be >$1M. But RC-G upzoning is the only part of the strategy that asks every Calgarian to actually accept some change in their neighborhood in service of doing something to create more housing.

If the wealthiest parts of the city sneak out the back, it’s one more proof point that everyone is in favour of “fixing the housing crisis” but many fewer are in favour of making any tangible sacrifices - in terms of changes in their neighborhood, decrease in their property value, or increase in their taxes - to do it.

Areas like Elbow Park, Brittania, Rideau, Roxboro, Elboya, Rosedale, Briar Hill, etc should be ecstatic. Their property values are going to rise even further. They’ll avoid the redevelopment by virtue of being expensive. Buyers that before would have targeted other areas of mostly single family that’s most likely to remain that way (for now) will now add demand for sellers in those areas, raising comparables.

I like the proposed up zoning to H-GO in transit/Main Streets corridors.
The LAPs that have included Main Street corridors have policy in place for even greater density, typically a 6 storey apartment style with retail at grade in some locations. The problem (subjective, but in terms of maximizing density and achieving policy, it is a problem) is that the cost to put up those style of buildings is high, and H-GO is much cheaper for some, but not maximum amount, of density. So we are seeing numerous H-GO applications along 4th Street NW in Mount Pleasant, instead of a greater multi-family zoning followed by apartment buildings. Similar thing is happening along 37th Street SW, where we just finished the Main Street streetscape and have the Max Teal running. See this Land Use Application and concurrent DP for instance. Not to say 37th Street doesn't have the higher density, it does, but we are seeing H-Go style products happening where we would like to see even greater density.

The LAPs that have included Main Street corridors have policy in place for even greater density, typically a 6 storey apartment style with retail at grade in some locations. The problem (subjective, but in terms of maximizing density and achieving policy, it is a problem) is that the cost to put up those style of buildings is high, and H-GO is much cheaper for some, but not maximum amount, of density. So we are seeing numerous H-GO applications along 4th Street NW in Mount Pleasant, instead of a greater multi-family zoning followed by apartment buildings. Similar thing is happening along 37th Street SW, where we just finished the Main Street streetscape and have the Max Teal running. See this Land Use Application and concurrent DP for instance. Not to say 37th Street doesn't have the higher density, it does, but we are seeing H-Go style products happening where we would like to see even greater density.
Interesting analysis - I wonder what, if anything, could be done via policy to help build that density on the key corridors given the economic case doesn't always afford to build new apartments at higher densities. Further, if R-CG and H-GO become more allowed in all sorts of areas - main streets or otherwise - would that result in more H-GO style density on main streets, less or have no impact?

That example on 37 Street SW is neat, currently 5 bungalows (RC-2) converted to 44 units; 22 townhomes + 22 basement suites (H-GO). So even with H-GO, the amount of units is substantial, a 9x increase in units for the site. A rough guess puts this project at ~140 units / hectare, which should get pretty close to the Main Streets population / hectare targets I would think. Had this site been a 6 storey apartment, we'd probably see 60 - 80 units, depending on how the building is configured, so definitely a drop from the maximum possible, but still notable intensification.

The lack of retail options is the major drawback of the low density forms - many apartments also don't include retail either unfortunately. That's not discussed as much but think will grow in importance - how to add walkable retail into communities with the density. So far we've spent the past few decades really trying to figure out the housing side of intensification, but less so on the retail.

A good step forward, but this far from the last battle on upzoning to R-CG citywide:

The lack of retail options is the major drawback of the low density forms - many apartments also don't include retail either unfortunately. That's not discussed as much but think will grow in importance - how to add walkable retail into communities with the density. So far we've spent the past few decades really trying to figure out the housing side of intensification, but less so on the retail.
I know it was just passed, and forgive me for not having read everything that change, but I have two ideas:
  1. What if we let each Ward decide to universally upzone to R-CG on their own accord? I imagine like half of the Wards would probably approve it, and that's another half of the city that is closer to common-sense zoning laws. It essentially strips the NIMBY groups of their power to hold back neighborhoods other than their own.
  2. Universally allow any parcel on the corner of two intersecting roadways a new zoning permission, that enables some combination of a higher number of units and corner facing retail. Then add in a 20m height limit, surface parking maximum, and some sort of incentive for doing so. Basically zone and incentive the walkable corner store in every neighbourhood.
Let me know if something like this already exists, reading the entirety of zoning bylaw is exhausting lol.

Starting to see something similar on 33 Ave SW, particularly for mid-block lots. Corner lots and adjoining lots are generally being developed as 6-story buildings, but starting to see applications for H-GO on mid-block lots that are less desirable. My suggestion for getting the development we want to see on these corridors is to permit even higher density (7-8 stories vs 5-6) in the mid-block lots.

The unintended consequence of H-GO and possibly R-CG is it becoming a blockade to land assembly for larger multi-family on certain main roads.

Once the cat is out of the bag it’s over. Good luck achieving land assembly in the future when trying to acquire 12 townhouse units.

Can the ARPs force minimums on these particular roads?

Brittania, Rideau, Roxboro, Elboya
Much of Britannia and Elboya (not near Elbow Drive or Stanley Road) have restrictive covenants preventing this kind of development, even with appropriate zoning. They also have a CA with a war chest to fight any attempts to change the covenants.

You might be right that property values will go up because of increased scarcity of inner city SFH, but the existing value isn't the only reason they'll avoid denser redevelopment.

Last edited:
I mostly want to see density on Elbow Drive in that area anyways. It would be cool to see 5-over-1's along the entire Elbow corridor, alongside bike infrastructure upgrades to make Elbow the primary N-S bike connection in South Central Calgary.
It's always been a dream of mine to see bike infrastructure all the way down Elbow Drive. One nice thing about Elbow Drive is it goes a long ways uninterrupted and is mostly straight, going right down the middle of south Calgary. Elbow Drive is 1000 times nicer than Macleod for cyclists, pedestrians and also for residents living in a multi-family development and is a short bike ride to most LRT stations.
It's a dream of mine, but unfortunately at this point mostly a pipe dream.

It doesn't say how much Calgary will be getting, but hopefully it spurs on some more development.

From the article
London, Ont., was the first city to benefit from the program, receiving $74 million for the development of 2,000 homes.
If the ration stays the same for Calgary might receive something like $150M toward development of 6,000 homes.

Also related to housing development. Looks like the GST will be removed for new apartment construction.

1695399051820.png

Last edited:
These changes might not be much, but if they help spur even a dozen builds, it’s better than nothing.
I’m curious if developers knew the GST announcement was coming, and they’ve been holding off on some of their builds until it takes effect. GST on a $30 million building is a lot of money.

It's always been a dream of mine to see bike infrastructure all the way down Elbow Drive. One nice thing about Elbow Drive is it goes a long ways uninterrupted and is mostly straight, going right down the middle of south Calgary. Elbow Drive is 1000 times nicer than Macleod for cyclists, pedestrians and also for residents living in a multi-family development and is a short bike ride to most LRT stations.
It's a dream of mine, but unfortunately at this point mostly a pipe dream.
It’s a great idea but don’t propose that to the adjacent communities or you’ll have an angry mob at your door.

Back