News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Of course it varies. Must be a great location and great building to be getting lots of interest. Some form of taxes, insurance, maintenance is probably included.
We're moving out of the building I'm in, and it's going at $12.00/sq ft It's suburban office space, in a decent building and decent location. Not sure what class it would be.

Marda Loop looking for public feedback on 33rd and 34th ave. @Silence&Motion @shermanator
https://engage.calgary.ca/33Ave?WT.mc_id=MainStreets33AveOnline-feb15-jm-02

33Ave_BoundaryMap.jpg

Attachments

• 33Ave_BoundaryMap.jpg
    33Ave_BoundaryMap.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 266
I wonder if there will be any fireworks at any of the meetings? At any rate I'm glad to see the city doing this, it's a rapidly emerging area and public consultation never hurts.

I hope they can raise the height limits along those corridors, Marda Loop should be a truly urban neighbourhood in the near future.

I hope they can raise the height limits along those corridors, Marda Loop should be a truly urban neighbourhood in the near future.
Very true. This streetscape plan is long over-due, highlighting the major disconnect between the land use and transportation planning spheres. Both 33rd & 34th are ridiculous to walk along or cross, largely due to a 3 - 4x increase in density over the past 20 years (with accompanying traffic) and no investment at all in updating the transportation network to reflect that. Both streets have over a kilometre (14th to 20th Streets SW) between controlled intersections - on a slight hill, nonetheless - has created the perfect conditions for a continuous, high-speed stream of traffic in what is otherwise transitioning into a nice mid-density urban area. Huge potential to make it more walkable and a hell of a lot safer.

Just completed the survey. Pedestrian comfort is an easy choice for the top priority, followed by related priorities such as traffic calming, lighting, and trees. The area could be improved greatly with a few minor fixes, potentially tacked onto any utilities work that the city might be planning.

I should also note that the area around the Crowchild (which is included in this study) requires much more significant work to make it pedestrian friendly. Not sure what could be accomplished given the constraints.

Just completed the survey. Pedestrian comfort is an easy choice for the top priority, followed by related priorities such as traffic calming, lighting, and trees. The area could be improved greatly with a few minor fixes, potentially tacked onto any utilities work that the city might be planning.
I chose the same things on the survey. Traffic calming would be nice, and maybe a slower speed limit. 33rd is a busy avenue, it's a steady stream of traffic.

Maybe not traffic calming, just more lights to allow easier cross flow of traffic and pedestrians. When I think of traffic calming I think of speed bumps and those stupid traffic circles on Royal Ave.
That works for me. The issue I find is crossing 33rd unless you're right in the centre if the BRZ. I don't mind those little peninsulas that extend out and cut off the parking lane.

Maybe not traffic calming, just more lights to allow easier cross flow of traffic and pedestrians. When I think of traffic calming I think of speed bumps and those stupid traffic circles on Royal Ave.

I agree that the traffic calming strategies you mention aren't desirable. In the little blurb under "traffic calming", they mention several other strategies that would be very desirable: curb bulb outs, on street parking, narrower roads, and the use of different pavement materials at intersections.

Curb extensions at intersections would be one of my biggest priorities. It is very difficult to see around the parked cars as you're crossing the street (especially if you happen to be pushing a stroller). The idea of paving significant intersections in brick would also be pretty cool (e.g. 33 ave and 20 st).

Curb extensions is a good one, keeps pedestrians visible and helps define the parking areas better. The curb extension in front of Last Best on 11 Ave in the Beltline is an example of how not to do it though, that is always used by taxi's to pick up and drop off people at the bars and just ends up blocking traffic.

I like the curb extensions too, it gives a much better feel to the pedestrian realm, and as Silence pointed out it definitely is so much easier for pedestrians looking to cross a street lined with parked cars.

Back