News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Bow Valley College doesn't need more space. Now we have 5 years of it not being empty until someone can put together a grant stack.

I wonder what rebuilding some of the Arts Commons facilties on that site would look like. Whether it would save an appreciable amount.

Kind of urban development related.
Wonderland listed as one of the world's top 25 art installation to visit.
http://www.traveller.com.au/the-25-best-artworks-in-the-world-you-must-see-h18xus

Also from Australia (might be the same article as the above link)
ste80zwhyk421.jpg

A question for the group.

To gain public and perhaps provincial support, would the City of Calgary be better positioned to pitch investment in a new arena together with the overall plan for a BMO Centre expansion; the Entertainment District and a re-purposed Saddledome plus whatever else is being planned for the Stampede Grounds?
i.e in other words a vision of, in 10 years here is what this part of the city will look like, and here are the benefits to all Calgarians. I can't think of another city in Canada (maybe Toronto's Front St.), perhaps not even in North America, that could offer this much diversity (sports, culture, entertainment, convention space etc etc) in one compact area.
I would say Council has a better chance of selling an arena investment with tax payers money, in this scenario, than would be just talking about the arena only. The investment is in a true vision for Calgary that will have lasting long term benefits. You don't have to be just a hockey fan or a concert goer to benefit. If a plebiscite was held on the $400 million (or whatever the number is) investment and it was pitched to me as a total vision, I would have no hesitation voting YES.

The provincial money, as long as it is within their existing grant programs, the province doesn’t get to nix the project - they are no strings funds. If they are searching for extra special money, it ain’t happening. The CRL, you can only fund so much out of it, depends if there is actually capacity for it in the CRL.

Federal money, that is the hard one. I believe unless they already nominated the project, they missed the deadline for the near term.

Random historical fact: the Hull Opera House which was on the lot on the south side of 6th ave (behind the York hotel) is where the debate was held to decide if Calgary should become a city in 1893. Crazy that what was essentially one of the birthplaces of the City of Calgary was demo'd for a parking lot. There should be some sort of commemoration there.

Has there been any word on the south block of the Bow? I haven't heard a peep since they put that big deck in a few years ago.

It breaks my heart every time I see that picture. That whole stretch of 7th ave has so much potential.

The South Block would be the perfect spot for a new Glenbow Museum. Use the York Hotel façade as an entrance point while the rest of the building can be a cool, modern, glass component. Honestly, the design as is would be a huge upgrade over what the Glenbow is in now. The current museum might be the ugliest building in the city with zero historical value. It isn't even cool brutalism like the old CBE building.

The South Block would be the perfect spot for a new Glenbow Museum. Use the York Hotel façade as an entrance point while the rest of the building can be a cool, modern, glass component. Honestly, the design as is would be a huge upgrade over what the Glenbow is in now. The current museum might be the ugliest building in the city with zero historical value. It isn't even cool brutalism like the old CBE building.

I really like this idea. Just as a note, the Glenbow was evaluated for potential historical value 5 or 10 years ago, and the result was only the sculptures on 9th Ave were deemed historically significant, so the building itself has already been rejected as being a historical resource (other than the panels below)

glenbow.png

The Glenbow looked at the cultural space when the Bow was first proposed, but the space was too expensive. This would be a great spot for a museum though, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Glenbow looked at the cultural space when the Bow was first proposed, but the space was too expensive. This would be a great spot for a museum though, but I'm not holding my breath.
So did the university. The city was bambozzled on seeing the proposed space as a benefit to the Bow Project.

Back