News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You'd have to provide me a crazy warranty to sell me on inset balconies - condos with them have seem too many complete envelope replacements in our climate due to QA issues.

I like the look though!

What is the issue with inset balconies? Are they more prone to envelope problems? Why ? I'm not in the construction/development side so I'm interested in understanding these kind of considerations.

^ If the stucco in inset balconies doesn't have proper drainage channels put in underneath the stucco, the walls can't dry out and mold proliferates underneath the stucco.

Hello forum folk.
We're looking for some feedback on the exteriors of our new project in Altadore.
We're a small builder, so any opinion (good, bad or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

...if it is not too late in your design process, I would adjust your suites 1/2 and 3/4 so that they align with each other elevation-wise....I would assume your site is driving the grade change between suites 2 and 3, but the small change in elevation between the left units (1/2) and the right units (3/4) annoys my building-OCD....plus this will help with your structural design (and save you some $).....

...if it is not too late in your design process, I would adjust your suites 1/2 and 3/4 so that they align with each other elevation-wise....I would assume your site is driving the grade change between suites 2 and 3, but the small change in elevation between the left units (1/2) and the right units (3/4) annoys my building-OCD....plus this will help with your structural design (and save you some $).....

Thanks again everyone.

Unfortunately, the site as well as the City of Calgary (curb cuts) doesn't allow symmetry in the building... which we wanted.

Regarding the stucco, balconies and drainage... The black is hardie and easytrim which wraps inside the balcony. We're confident we have the proper drainage.

It might help with structural design, but it may increase cost to build the grade up on one of the sides.

Expensive and almost impossible given the site constraints and the shared driveways.

I don't know the exact address, but it seems the main challenge is providing 4 driveways (and up to 4 conflicts) while maintaining the walkable, treed character of the street. Too bad there's no alley access for parking.

Anyway, overall I like the simple design (3 material elements, clean shapes/forms, vertical windows). Personally, I prefer a bit more light and more windows, as well as a bit more personozable/ownership over outdoor components - though, some people like low maintenance. I agree with the other comments: slight grade separation is visually annoying, overall good restraint of flourishes. If you could find a way to reduce the impact of the driveways but still offer parking, it'd be a real winner.

I actually like how it slopes. Looks cool to me.

The house that used to be the "Farmer's House" restaurant in Marda Loop (NE corner of 33 Ave and 21 St) has just been demolished. Anyone know what's going on here? I haven't seen any development applications related to the site.

It's too bad. They had a great patio. I hope it's replaced by something that will add to the strip.

The house that used to be the "Farmer's House" restaurant in Marda Loop (NE corner of 33 Ave and 21 St) has just been demolished. Anyone know what's going on here? I haven't seen any development applications related to the site.

It's too bad. They had a great patio. I hope it's replaced by something that will add to the strip.
The one that used to be Karma, back in the day?

Comparison of the skylines 10 years apart. As luck would have it, the weather was pretty much identical. I cropped the new shot, sop it would match the old one....I forgot to turn off manual focus, so the newer pic is a bit blurrier. Focal length was a bit different but the angles looks pretty close.

Sept 28, 2007
001-2008 Sept 28 105_stitch.jpg

Sept 28, 2017
Image50.jpg

Attachments

• 001-2008 Sept 28 105_stitch.jpg
    001-2008 Sept 28 105_stitch.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Image50.jpg
    Image50.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 465
Great pics Surreal, i'm particularly impressed with how much more filled in the Beltline feels vs. even 5 years ago. Eager to see what CMLC does with the eastern end of the Beltline as that side still needs significantly more public realm upgrades and new development. The Beltline areas around 17th ave and into Lower Mount Royal/Mission/Cliff Bungalow specifically have really improved - hoping to see PBA's 1st SW project and a few others close to 17th ave get going soon.

Holy balls! That's a sweet comparison, and that's not even the best angle to get a comparison shot from! I'd say probably overall, the view from the SW would be best... and for the CBD, either direct north and direct south are the best.

15 new towers of 100 meters or more built/UC visible in that view alone, 4 of which are over 200 meters. Christ. 1.5 skyscrapers per year sure ain't bad, boys! In reality though, we've had 30 skyscrapers over 100 meters completed/UC since September 28, 2008. Fairly astounding for a city our size.

Last edited:

Back