News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Drove through Marda Loop the other day. Wow. I haven't been there in a few months, but it really is coming together. With the Odeon, Avenue 33, the building just north of Safeway on 22nd (forgot the name), the one on 34th and 19th (its framed and papered now, but also forget the name), and that new building on 29th and 14th street coming along, that whole corridor is really going to be something spectacular. Just fill in more of the gaps, and it'll be a proper main street.

Drove through Marda Loop the other day. Wow. I haven't been there in a few months, but it really is coming together. With the Odeon, Avenue 33, the building just north of Safeway on 22nd (forgot the name), the one on 34th and 19th (its framed and papered now, but also forget the name), and that new building on 29th and 14th street coming along, that whole corridor is really going to be something spectacular. Just fill in more of the gaps, and it'll be a proper main street.
One of the things I like about Marda Loop is how it's evolving organically, a couple of buildings at a time. Even though the bulk of multi-storey buildings have been built recently (within the last 10 years) the styles are different and it has an eclectic feeling. Proof that you can still make a vibrant eclectic retail area without older buildings, if done properly.

Agreed, although I could've done without that fakey Shoppers Drugmart building. It kind of overwhelms the neighborhood with ugly.

City is starting the process of amending the Beltline ARP (Vic Park Area), and will have an open house April 11th.

Open House details
https://engage.calgary.ca/beltlinearp?redirect=/beltlinearp

current ARP
http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis/DirectDownload.aspx?target=http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/arp-asp/arp/beltline-plan-one.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1

Topic area
Image7.jpg

Attachments

• Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 303
Agreed, although I could've done without that fakey Shoppers Drugmart building. It kind of overwhelms the neighborhood with ugly.

Fair point, but sometimes I think you just need a building or two to start development in an area. Think about Beltline- the last 15 years of incredible growth started with..... Emerald Stone and Vantage Pointe by Co-op. Development in Hillhurst Sunnyside started with .... St. John's 10th street. Sometimes you just want to get the ball rolling.

Fair point, but sometimes I think you just need a building or two to start development in an area. Think about Beltline- the last 15 years of incredible growth started with..... Emerald Stone and Vantage Pointe by Co-op. Development in Hillhurst Sunnyside started with .... St. John's 10th street. Sometimes you just want to get the ball rolling.
Even before St John's on 10th and Kensington road pretty much all the buildings built in Kensington during the 80's and 90's were duds, but they did help get the neighborhood rolling. I find that in the end, even crappy buildings with good retail at street level is a win for the neighbourhood.

That large salmon colored building at Kensington Road and 10th is one of those duds, but it has added some density and retail. Nice that the bar has been set and these days Kensington is getting nicer stuff.

I wish they’d give it a coat of paint like the building on 14th just south of Kensington Road did. That one painted the salmon with a grey and it’s much nicer now.

Though with brown brick and the green metal roof they’d probably just do an awful shade of beige.

That large salmon colored building at Kensington Road and 10th is one of those duds, but it has added some density and retail. Nice that the bar has been set and these days Kensington is getting nicer stuff.

The change of Marda Loop has been impressive for such a short time period. Makes one wish they still had the old Marda streetcar.

Back