News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is Park Point 2 dead? I noticed the DP sign was removed and I don't see it on Qualex's website anymore
I was wondering about this too. I'm hoping not as I think that would be a great development for that spot and it would be nice to fill in the gap.

Some actions I can think of are governments can reduce taxes on developers and development or subsidize the high interest on loans.
I see this a lot and I’m wondering if the reverse is possible, levy an extra tax on the vacant land. I understand developers are businesses and need to make a return but if there’s another company willing to take more risk we should let them develop the land. Similar to the vacant home tax, except enforcement would actually be possible.

I see this a lot and I’m wondering if the reverse is possible, levy an extra tax on the vacant land. I understand developers are businesses and need to make a return but if there’s another company willing to take more risk we should let them develop the land. Similar to the vacant home tax, except enforcement would actually be possible.
For residential zoned property it would be possible, not for non-residential, under the current provincial law.

With the squeeze on industrial land in Metro Vancouver, Calgary is having a bit of a boom in industrial buildings, so no surprise.
It's bananas but Calgary is now a primary distribution point for a ton of industries. Goods land at the port of Van, are shipper here via rail or truck, broken down in Calgary, and then shipped back to BC via truck.

Crossing the Rockies twice...
For Canadian Tire, the containers and well cars need to flow back to the port anyways. Why not fill them for the stores in the lower mainland?

It is somewhat akin to how a good portion of Calgary's vegetables for a long time came from Revelstoke if not the lower mainland during the steam age. There were lots of empty box cars heading back east, why not fill them for stuff for Alberta? If the veggies were paying their full freight it wouldn't be done, but they weren't.

It's bananas but Calgary is now a primary distribution point for a ton of industries. Goods land at the port of Van, are shipper here via rail or truck, broken down in Calgary, and then shipped back to BC via truck.
Something very similar happens in the US with Port of Los Angeles and Phoenix, if anyone wants more details on how it works/why it's profitable.

Back