News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Not sure if this is the place to post this but here it goes:
Somewhat related, CNRL will be renovating and moving to the Shell building in 2025/2026 and vacating their Bankers Hall space. I'd imagine that gets snapped up relatively quickly as BH is a prime location.

This recently caught my attention and it looks like it might be pretty substantial.

Truman has purchased a huge chunk of land (7x the size of West District) near the east boundary of the city bordering Chestermere. What's interesting to me is that they are working with Civicworks to design a plan for the future neighbourhood, The same firm that worked on University District, UIQ, Springbank Hill, and West District.

iihihafhiwihfa.PNG

Screenshot_20240124-044707.png

I'd imagine they're planning a pretty dense suburb, especially since the outline plan shows an "Urban Boulevard."

I'm calling it now, "East District"

Last edited:
Here is Truman's Prince of Peace concept scheme, currently in with the County for review/approval:

Truman also has an approved outline plan already in the east, called Huxley I think:
1706137932160.png

The lands further east, north of 17th Avenue and bordering Chestermere, were purchased after the Growth Management Overlay was removed on them for a pretty ambitious plan called Twin Hills, that proposed a comprehensive mixed use community centred around a BRT station and a large corporate office campus:

So those lands have a significant amount of density approved on them already, I imagine though there will be some reconfiguration to better adapt to current markets. The Twin Hills plan was certainly ambitious, but I don't know how grounded in reality it was.

I recall Chestermere’s future growth strategy was planning on a population of 75,000 by 2050. Something like that. This seems to fit that vision.

Another surprisingly dense suburb I noticed on DMAP is this one called "Nostalgia" by Jayman (The developer behind Westman Village)

Building heights up to 50 meters, that's quite a new precedent they're setting here.

waofofsojafjas.PNG

jawfojfwaojfjosajofjosa.PNG

And to top it all off, there's another community proposed up near Crossiron Mills that looks to be quite dense.

wahfsojafoansfsa.PNG

wafoofwajofjsajf.PNG

Only 118 SFH, which is pretty crazy. If this trend continues, all these new outer suburbs might be 10x more dense than the ones inside the ring road...

Attachments

• 1706152909744.png
    1706152909744.png
    953.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Another surprisingly dense suburb I noticed on DMAP is this one called "Nostalgia" by Jayman (The developer behind Westman Village)

Building heights up to 50 meters, that's quite a new precedent they're setting here.

View attachment 535102
View attachment 535103

And to top it all off, there's another community proposed up near Crossiron Mills that looks to be quite dense.

View attachment 535104
View attachment 535106

Only 118 SFH, which is pretty crazy. If this trend continues, all these new outer suburbs might be 10x more dense than the ones inside the ring road...
There was also the Co-Op Development in Silverton/Silverado that was approved and it allowed for a building height of up to 50 metres and would have 2,000+ units over the area. I will have to see if I can find the plans.

Walked past the intersection of 17th Ave and 4 St SW today. The 3 restaurant properties next to where that building was demolished are all vacant now. It made me wonder if this is an indication of a development going forward that includes the site of the demolished building and these properties? Anyone know if they're all owned by the same people or could there be another infill on the way for where these restaurants were?

Walked past the intersection of 17th Ave and 4 St SW today. The 3 restaurant properties next to where that building was demolished are all vacant now. It made me wonder if this is an indication of a development going forward that includes the site of the demolished building and these properties? Anyone know if they're all owned by the same people or could there be another infill on the way for where these restaurants were?
I have become increasingly convinced someone should swing big here and do a mall/urban format movie theatre combo with some towers at 17th and 4th. Something with some real heft and urban "big city" scale. Perfect location and the next tier of urban amenity Calgary currently lacks. Every other city has done it and I want one too :cool:

Vancouver:
1706282516021.png

Toronto x 2:
1706282626606.png

1706282692149.png

Montreal:
1706282756131.png

The design of all these is a bit dated but the use and density is a slam-dunk.

I have become increasingly convinced someone should swing big here and do a mall/urban format movie theatre combo with some towers at 17th and 4th. Something with some real heft and urban "big city" scale. Perfect location and the next tier of urban amenity Calgary currently lacks. Every other city has done it and I want one too :cool:
Something high density here would definitely be great, but I think the two Scotiabank Theatres are poor examples. In Vancouver and Toronto they're largely dead zones at street level, since it requires such a large footprint yet has very little street interface. Most people pass by, and the people going in an out of the theatre take a giant escalator. A modern urban mall development (like the Dundas Square example but the interior of that building is in sore need of redevelopment) would be great for the area. Something like the Yonge Eglinton Centre in Toronto, with more modern towers would be great.

1706285479331.png

I'd love to see a 3 storey retail plaza on the corner of 17th and 4th, and a few bright-ish advertising lights to go with it.
The problem with movie theatres is if the tenant leaves, you are stuck with a bespoke space that is difficult to re-position.

That’s why we’d put it in a rapidly densifying, high pedestrian trafficked area like 17th and 4th, so the tenant doesn’t go under. 💪🏼

Back