News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Why don't you spell it out for us.
Everyone who questions soulless infills and blanket density policies is just a racist, duh.

While I understand people hoping to preserve their neighborhoods, and I don't disagree that should be possible if all neighbors agree. But if that is allowed, we also need to fundamentally redesign our property tax system. In this case, if property owners buy into a system where they pay the full cost of them having a car centric-close to downtown neighborhood then I'm all for it. But without it, it's essentially a subsidization scheme.
How we distribute our taxes is not something I'm particularly familiar with, so you may be right...in the grand scheme, paying for things you use is only fair. Although I'm sure I'm also paying for things I never use or like either...but that's kind of the trade-off living in a society. I don't think there's only one right way to live, and having that some relatively good choices in housing/community types is one of the reasons I like Calgary.

Last edited:
Not to take this too far off topic, but I sometimes wonder if culture is more the separator than skin color. My inner-city-ish neighborhood was 99.9% white when I moved into it 20 years ago, but now has a mix of varying ethnic groups. The most noticeable change is the amount of people of Indian descent, for example all of the 4 most recent house sales on my street were purchased by people of Indian heritage. An interesting observation I've noticed is that they are all Calgary born and raised who grew up in the NE, but are fairly similar to myself from a cultural point of view.
I haven't dug into it much, but found it to be an interesting observation.
^ This right here is accurate. I've grown up in the NE for most of my life. However, my cultural values and beliefs align much more with Canadian values and beliefs than those of immigrants. My friends are the same, as they have moved to different parts of the city where there are fewer brown people. I'll probably be moving out of the NE as well. I feel it takes about 1 generation for people to integrate with Canadian values. It's why you visibly see more mixed-race couples in cities where non-European immigration has dated back for decades like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Mixed coupling could become more of an outlier as the different communities establish populations. I see it in the workplaces of major employers. The overall workforce is diverse. However, the different teams or groups making up that workforce are typically not.

I found this interesting, the article really leans into climate but wouldn't piles (like we see at Nest) also be more economical for developers. Basemen suites are a density add for developers on infills but the cost savings of not having to build a basement seem to me to be worth adding a third story and shifting the basement suit to a ground floor unit with the larger unit still occupying floors 2 and 3.

What am I missing?

Don't we also need basements because the water/sewer utilities have to meet the house a certain distance below ground? You can't just run pipes through a crawl space like you can in parts of the US.

I guess you could build a small vault below ground to avoid that.
That's my understanding. Getting beneath the frost-line is the key part which means 4 or 5 feet down at least. You're pretty close to a complete basement just by hooking in the utilities. That said, there's probably a bunch of different ways to achieve the minimum, without necessarily building a full, occupiable basement.

Specifically, the article is actually speaking of only removing basements in floodplains or other "flood prone" areas. This is much more targeted and a reasonable thing to explore, or at least find ways to take the expensive parts that water can easily damage out of harms way. Collectively, if all basements were removed or somehow hardened to not need remediation or at risk of mold from flooding, the collective insurance saving must be absolutely huge.

Relatedly, I have always been surprised there's not more (successful) efforts in design and construction to reduce the risk/impact of water damage. Even relatively minor leaks can cost huge amounts of damage. I know a friend with an upstairs washing machine, a minor hose leak resulted in huge damage to replace the main floor ceiling and clean everything up. And we've all heard the stories of a $100 fixture bathroom faucet leak in an apartment building that damages multiple floors beneath it at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars.

Perhaps it's just a tough problem to solve, but seems like we should be trying harder to actually water and leak proof our buildings give how devastating the impacts are?

That's my understanding. Getting beneath the frost-line is the key part which means 4 or 5 feet down at least. You're pretty close to a complete basement just by hooking in the utilities. That said, there's probably a bunch of different ways to achieve the minimum, without necessarily building a full, occupiable basement.

Specifically, the article is actually speaking of only removing basements in floodplains or other "flood prone" areas. This is much more targeted and a reasonable thing to explore, or at least find ways to take the expensive parts that water can easily damage out of harms way. Collectively, if all basements were removed or somehow hardened to not need remediation or at risk of mold from flooding, the collective insurance saving must be absolutely huge.

Relatedly, I have always been surprised there's not more (successful) efforts in design and construction to reduce the risk/impact of water damage. Even relatively minor leaks can cost huge amounts of damage. I know a friend with an upstairs washing machine, a minor hose leak resulted in huge damage to replace the main floor ceiling and clean everything up. And we've all heard the stories of a $100 fixture bathroom faucet leak in an apartment building that damages multiple floors beneath it at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars.

Perhaps it's just a tough problem to solve, but seems like we should be trying harder to actually water and leak proof our buildings give how devastating the impacts are?
My strata is working with our insurance company to install automatic shutoffs in every unit along with accompanying sensors after 4 water events in a year.

Similar pic to the one in the Scotia Place thread, but showing the CBD and Beltline. We desperately need more development in that SE quadrant of the core, but one striking positive is the core (from the east side at least) no longer looks like a bunch of office buildings with a smattering of residential towers, it's looking more like a bunch of residential towers with a smattering of office buildings, and the trend will only continue.

I know part of it's the lighting and the time of year, but man, the east side of the core really needs some greenery.
1727474537543.png

Just for comparison, here's another skyline shot from a different angle, but with some greenery (and better lighting), but the greenery makes a world of difference.
1727475234981.png

Last edited:
Similar pic to the one in the Scotia Place thread, but showing the CBD and Beltline. We desperately need more development in that SE quadrant of the core, but one striking positive is the core (from the east side at least) no longer looks like a bunch of office buildings with a smattering of residential towers, it's looking more like a bunch of residential towers with a smattering of office buildings, and the trend will only continue.

I know part of it's the lighting and the time of year, but man, the east side of the core really needs some greenery.
View attachment 599778

Just for comparison, here's another skyline shot from a different angle, but with some greenery (and better lighting), but the greenery makes a world of difference.
View attachment 599779
Don't disagree with your point but is it just how far the photo is taken though? Most of the greenery in the second pic is Kensington/Sunnyside, whereas the east side if you included Bridgeland and St. Patrick's Island, it'd look more green.

It's hard to separate the idea of a restrictive covenant from its historical roots: always based in classism and racism. It's pretty difficult to support something that has been so thoroughly leveraged in the past as a tool to entrench dominant groups and marginalize others.

The claimed goals of these groups are always pleasant seeming: "keep the character of the neighborhood"... But once unpacked, are mainly championed by a single group and based in xenophobia and/or white supremacy

But I'm sure it's different this time
View attachment 598554

What's wrong with desiring to live around people that share a similar identity, culture or religion?

In addition to the above, from an individual economic standpoint, what benefit would there be to sign on to a restrictive covenant? That's the part I don't get.

You deliberately encumber your own property by adding legal risks that could limit future options - whether you live there for 5 years or 50 years seems like a strange self-defeating move. If I was living in a community where this type of movement was happening, I'd hold out forever - the more people that sign on, the more my property appears relatively unencumbered and should be worth more in the future.
That's very true.

My guess would be that people are 'Taking one for the team' by purposely lowering their property value.

Don't disagree with your point but is it just how far the photo is taken though? Most of the greenery in the second pic is Kensington/Sunnyside, whereas the east side if you included Bridgeland and St. Patrick's Island, it'd look more green.
Yeah, I think part of it is the angle and distance, so it's not an apples to apples comparison, per se, but the first thing I noticed when looking at pic showing EV was the lack of greenery. You can see in the background of the pic, there is a lot more greenery on the west side of DT.

Back