News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Thanks for keeping this updated Surreal! What do you use as a limit for greenfield vs non-greenfield? For example Shawnessy Station apartments are 16 km from downtown, where as the developments at Springbank Hill near Ambrose University / 17 Ave SW are just 10km from downtown. Both seem like a bit of a grey area, replacing low density / undeveloped land with apartments, in areas surrounded by older suburban development. Medicine Hill would be another example like this.

I expected one or more of the Truman high rises to have broken ground. It makes my mind spin. Did they sell at too low a price point for the rapidly rising construction costs? Those escalating costs also make me weary of new rental high rise construction like West Village 3.

I expected one or more of the Truman high rises to have broken ground. It makes my mind spin. Did they sell at too low a price point for the rapidly rising construction costs? Those escalating costs also make me weary of new rental high rise construction like West Village 3.
One of the Truman ones, I can't remember the name but it is the one where DOP is, the tenants are there until September so could see some action after that on that one. The one on 11th I thought had soil sampling done not long ago.

Thanks for keeping this updated Surreal! What do you use as a limit for greenfield vs non-greenfield? For example Shawnessy Station apartments are 16 km from downtown, where as the developments at Springbank Hill near Ambrose University / 17 Ave SW are just 10km from downtown. Both seem like a bit of a grey area, replacing low density / undeveloped land with apartments, in areas surrounded by older suburban development. Medicine Hill would be another example like this.
Agreed, what is defined as greenfield is a bit of a gray area. The general rule is whether the build is happening in an neighborhood that has been fully built out for a decade as opposed to a build that's part of an expansion of the city's footprint. For example Evanston has been around for some time, but isn't 100% built out, as there are atill a few undeveloped lots.
Shawnessy Station is an outlier because of how far out it is, and could be in an area not technically 'built out' as that lot has always been empty, but because it's been empty for over a decade I've considered it as a density increase in a developed area. It's not a perfect system :)
The general idea of the list is to get an idea of the level of development that is increasing the city's density on the existing built out footprint. Of course that footprint will always be changing and also some neighborhoods take a long time to fully build out, thus the 10 years after build out.

Last edited:

Back