News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

After that hockey game, and the 14 gold medals, I have to say... we do own the podium! Woo hoo!

Canada-001.jpg

Was that a game or was that a game?! We were on the edge of our seats through the 3rd period & overtime. I needed medication afterward. It's still pretty noisy outside.

Canada holds the record at Winter Olympics for the most gold medals now, very impressive.

I just love the medals. They're so creative and uniquely Canadian...

15305_376567895800_503910800_5408909_7911537_n.jpg

I can't help but think that this shape and artistic motif should become an official Canadian coin, maybe the upcoming $5 coin? After all, the Royal Canadian Mint manufactured the medals.

Good point but you could make them nest into each other so rolling them wouldn't be a problem although I could foresee issues with retrofitting vending machines to properly process irregularly shaped coins.

Eek! Vancouver 2010 CEO John Furlong could have brushed up on his French before delivering that "nails on a blackboard" wrenching beginning of his speech.

... oh, and did Sochi just suck the fun out of the Olympics or what? Vancouver's Mayor sported a Canadian jersey and a broad smile while Sochi's Mayor accepted the flag of the games in an uptight suit and without a glint of teeth.

Last edited:
Good point but you could make them nest into each other so rolling them wouldn't be a problem although I could foresee issues with retrofitting vending machines to properly process irregularly shaped coins.
pringles.jpg

Architectural Merits?

We're on an architecture forum so I find it fitting that we should discuss the architectural merits of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics (or lack thereof).

The winter games aren't known for the big spending in beautiful venues but I found the venues for these games to be especially underwhelming. All of the new venues were simply boxes and the Opening and Closing ceremonies were held at an old stadium that didn't seem to have been improved from an architectural standpoint.

What's your opinion on the Vancouver 2010 venues?

Last edited:
Closing ceremony: epic fail!

Nickelback? Buble? Avril Lavigne? Simple Plan? Morissette? Shatner? Kill me, please. I'm embarrassed.

I thought Buble, Neil Young and Alanis were good choices. The middle section where we were poking fun at ourselves with all of the stereotypes was great. But let's face it, many of the critically acclaimed bands in this country probably wouldn't play a closing ceremony. "Everytime you close your eyes... LIES LIES" doesn't seem very Olympic-like haha. Mind you, I think the Hip probably should have been there and I can't imagine they would have turned it down.

Anybody have any photos from Dundas Square?

I'll post some pictures in the morning. I'm spent after today. Quite honestly, it was perhaps one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. I would hate to think what the opposite reaction would have been if the US had managed to score...

Last edited:
Ok.....I'm with MTown............

While overall I am proud of the way the Olympics went; and I think our athelete's performance was commendable....

I think the artistic choices of the Closing Ceremony were.............by and large........terrible.

No problem w/Nickelback; or Simple Plan.....

But....first off, I know some sort of speech is required but that was too long by 1/2 and painful. Surely (on behalf) of VANOC we could have gotten someone trained in public speaking.....

The segments w/Shatner and O'Hara irritated me no end. AT Best, 20 years past their stale date (no personal offence to them) but if we must give some actor space, apparently one known by Americans............why not Jim Carrey or Seth Rogan (even if I think both aren't funny)

As to music.........GREAT BIG SEA; ARCADE FIRE.....jeeze people

And Nickelback is a closer......you end with the pyro-appropriate music act.

Just saying.

Closing ceremony: epic fail!

Nickelback? Buble? Avril Lavigne? Simple Plan? Morissette? Shatner? Kill me, please. I'm embarrassed.
None of them were as bad as Catherine O'Hara's painfully unfunny, cliche-riddled monologue. Crickets chirping. A friend of mine told me these Olympics were killing all his stereotypes of Canada. I'll have to tell him to watch the closing ceremonies if he hasn't already - problem solved!

Neil Young was cool as always. Great song choice too.

I thought Buble, Neil Young and Alanis were good choices. The middle section where we were poking fun at ourselves with all of the stereotypes was great. But let's face it, many of the critically acclaimed bands in this country probably wouldn't play a closing ceremony. "Everything you close your eyes... LIES LIES" doesn't seem very Olympic-like haha. Mind you, I think the Hip probably should have been there and I can't imagine they would have turned it down.
Haha I was actually hoping for Arcade Fire :p Couldn't be any less Olympic-like than "love is not a victory march it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah".

Edit: the Hip would have been great for the closing ceremonies. Same with Great Big Sea. Or Rush.

Last edited:

Back