News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What was up with John Furlong's French? If you were going to speak in a language that you obviously did not know before a huge international television audience, wouldn't you get some lessons/coaching? Jacques Rogge had quite the poker-face while Furlong butchered his French pronunciation.

I totally agree. I suspect they were bowing to "not enough French" complaints re the opening ceremonies, but really, get someone who has at least basic pronunciation abilities. That was simply painful, probably for him as well as for us.

Regarding BC Place, the problem was not money but timing. They're going to upgrade the place anyway. Why couldn't this have been done before the games?

The sky-high construction costs in the years before the Games (before the recession) kept improvements to BC Place to a minimum.
When the roof failed in 2007 (?) it was decided to examine future options for the facility - some people (i.e. real estate developers) wanted to demolish the stadium and redevelop the site with condos. The decision to keep and renovate the facility (construction costs paid-off years and years ago) was made when construction costs came down and it was decided to sell off development rights for adjacent lands - but that left too short a window to complete the new roof before the Games.

WRT Olympic crowds - Transit Alert at SkyTrain Stations yesterday (after hockey game):

Posted on SSP by GeeCee:
25917_360708483798_585708798_4738483_3057308_n.jpg

Best celebrating I witnessed last night: a crowd of university-aged kids gathered on the sidewalk at three of Bloor & Yonge's four corners, while cops staked out the northeast. Every time the scramble crossing light moved to the pedestrian phase, the kids ran out into the middle of the intersection and jumped and screamed, and then quickly returned to the sidewalk when the light when green for Yonge. Next cycle, out they went and cranked it up again. Very Canadian!

Though from a Yonge-Dundas POV, I agree: last nite brought out the best in the scramble crossers...

I didn't even watch most of it. I had it cued up on my laptop through the CTV website and noticed all the ill-chosen acts and decided to skip 90% of the closing ceremony. Even the rendition of our anthem made me want to stab myself in the head.

Ah well, at least the Olympics themselves were great and we won greatly. I still remember Bilodeau's gold like it was yesterday. And speaking of gold medal performances, did anyone watch the men's curling final? Damn, that was some serious bizz, too!

Yeah. I don't know how people can say curling is boring. That triple was amazing.

It is interesting to note that Own The Podium has actually succeeded: Canada is currently #1 in gold medals (#3 in total medals). Now let's debate the merits of ranking by golds versus ranking by total medals...

Japanese TV ranks by number of gold medals (They're probably wishing they didn't since Japan won 0 golds) so they have Canada in first place.

Just checked the BBC and they rank by gold as well. Maybe it's just Canada and the US that use total medals.

When it comes to "worst Olympics ever", well...the Brits got a sum total of 1 medal. Then again, they could claim they "won" on "efficiency" grounds, i.e. 100% of their haul was gold...

Japanese TV ranks by number of gold medals (They're probably wishing they didn't since Japan won 0 golds) so they have Canada in first place.

Just checked the BBC and they rank by gold as well. Maybe it's just Canada and the US that use total medals.

The IOC also ranks by Gold so in their definition, Canada "won the Olympics" coming in at #1.

If you think about it, Silver and Bronze medalists aren't winners, they're second and third place. If we count up to Third place, what's to stop us from counting all the way to fifth or tenth?

Regardless of Own the Podium's stated goals, the progress derived from that program resulted in Canada's best ever performance at an Olympic games beating out records held by other countries for decades.

Yes, why can't we be grateful and happy that our athletes performed so well; why is there always those people that cannot be satisfied with what most countries that participated in the Games could only have dreamt of attaining?

And beyond that sense of accomplishment, we can also look at the other socioeconomic benefits of the games. A Skytrain line to the int'l airport! Business opportunities for companies; boosts to tourism that won't just boom during the four weeks that the Olympic and Paralympic games actually take place, but for months and years before and after the event; Olympic Villages will provide market and affordable housing units after the Games are complete; Vancouver and British Columbia tourism, small business and companies in emerging industries recieved billions in free publicity and world-wide exposure. In fact, an economic study of the financial impact of the 2010 Olympic projects in combination with the expanded Convention Centre reports incremental tax contributions − largely from tourism, hospitality and conventions − of nearly $2.5 billion over the next 20 years. (http://www.wastebuster.gov.bc.ca/popt/olympic_benefits_bg.pdf)

I for one will never consider Own the Podium nor the Games a failure for Canada. The athletes far exceeded everyone's expectations and that is good enough for me.

Just in case some out there aren't aware of the issue:
--
CTV.ca News Staff
Date: Tue. Mar. 2 2010 9:18 AM ET
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...otp_program_100302/20100302?s_name=budget2010

The man expected to take over the initially maligned and now much-praised Own the Podium program says he hopes the Conservative government comes up with $22 million for winter sports in this week's budget.

Alex Baumann, the current chief technical officer and touted future CEO of Own the Podium told Canada AM, "We don't want to fall off the cliff after 2010."

"The program has been successful," he said. "With many host nations after hosting of the Games funding is cut. We hope that the five years of the program can continue."

Baumann said government funding is an essential part of the program, which is a public-private partnership.

The five-year $117-million budget for Own the Podium for 2010 came from the federal government, the Vancouver organizing committee (VANOC), the B.C. government, the Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee.

But when the Vancouver Games ended, most of that funding dried up, with only $11 million from Ottawa guaranteed for winter sports at this point.

"That's the only money today on the table," outgoing OTP boss Roger Jackson told The Canadian Press. "I hope the program continues for another four years at the level we've been able to develop it because I know we can go beyond the success that we will have. I know we can do far more with another four years to go."

The summer side has $36 million committed by the federal government going into the 2012 Games in London.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was coy Monday about what was in store for the program in Thursday's budget.

"As you know, our government has supported world-class athletics very generously," he said. "We've not only supported the world-class athletics through the tax credit for kids sports, we've tried to encourage participation in sports at all levels. This is a basic philosophy of our government and things will be looking to continue into the future."

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff has called for the program to keep its funding.

I can't understand the government's position on this," he said Monday. "We've had a remarkable Olympic success story and Canadians understand that by investing in the top of the pyramid of our sporting activity, we broaden the base.

"This is not a huge investment. I understand we're in a tough budgetary time but come on, let's loosen up here, let's do something great."

It would seem Canadians agree with Ignatieff, as 74 per cent of respondents in a recent Angus Reid poll said they want an initiative like Own the Program to continue post-2010.

Baumann is a former Olympian and won two gold medals for swimming in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles.

Jon Montgomery, who won a gold medal in the men's skeleton competition, credited his success in part to the Own The Podium program. (AP / Michael Sohn)

Heard some discussion about this on the radio yesterday. Seems crazy -- let's whine and complain about our athletes doing so poorly, then let's invest in a program that has terrific results and let's run around waving the flag, and then let's not fund them ...

There seems to be a pretty obvious relationship between investing in Olympic success and achieving that success. If we just want to compete and not win medals, that's fine. But if we want to win medals, we have to support the athletes so that they can train accordingly. It worked in Australia, it worked here, I'm sure it works elsewhere. And there's also the spin-off effects in terms of facilities being available to the general public, an increased awareness of sport and fitness, an increased activity level in the general population. Seems like win/win to me.

I for one hope the funding continues and that we continue to do well in our sports programs.

Although I think Quebec City is bidding too early (apparently they intend the bid for the 2018 Winter Olympics), I do hope they get it sometime in the not-too-distant future: 2022 or 2026 maybe. Having a third set of Olympic facilities in this country, and the first set on the east coast (other than those across the border at Lake Placid) would be good for this country's athletes.

Where did you see 2018? They can't bid for 2018. The application deadline was Oct 15th 2009. The candidates for 2018 are Annecy France, Pyeongchang South Korea and Munich Germany. Quebec City's only hope is South Korea getting 2018.

Also, as much as we need winter infrastructure on the east coast, we need summer infrastructure in this country. There's a huge sporting infrastructure deficit in Ontario especially which makes a lot of people (outside of Marcel Aubut and the people behind Quebec City 2022) want to see Toronto go for a summer games. There's going to be a lot of politics over the next couple years, especially since Aubut is moving the COC to Montreal.

Last edited:
Pyeongchang... third time's a charm?

They have tried for the 2010 (lost by 3 votes in round to Vancouver), 2014 (lost by 4 votes to Sochi) , and now 2018 olympics.

I think that after the Canadian love affair with the Vancouver 2010 games, bidding for a Summer games will get a lot more popular than it was before. Toronto's bid will surely receive support and the IOC will look at Canada with new eyes.

Back